expoEM Bracknell 13-14 May 2017

Gee Vee

Hi Jol,   Out of interest, (a) how is the Jubilee compensated/sprung and (b) what is the current best practice for P4?  Many thanks

Have a look at Jol's excellent topic at http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?%2Ftopic%2F14518-lnwr-4mm-rolling-stock-for-london-road%2F

It's even cross referenced on Facebook 

I will be glad to meet them, on the assumption it's the same people I witnessed before, I wasn't at Bletchley as you know, but the previous time, it wasn't good, not all the operators, just some.

As has be proven on a number of layouts over the years at exhibitions,

a good modeller is not necessarily a good operator and the other way round too.  

When I operated on Bob Essery's 'Dewsbury', we had the same situation,

.... and I've had that on Penlan too, there's a couple of operators over the years, I despaired with...

PS - Polybear's post isn't meant to here, but I can't erase it.....

Sandy,

regrettably, your comment gave the impression that London Road's operators aren't up to the task. However, as you weren't at Bracknell (ExpopEM hasn't been held at Bletchley for a long time) I don't intend to debate it further. 

PS - I don't understand about Polybears's post. As it appears to be from someone else (Brian) I'll reply to it separately.

Hi Jol,

Out of interest, (a) how is the Jubilee compensated/sprung and (b) what is the current best practice for P4?  Many thanks

Brian.

Brian,

the Jubilee is the property of John Redrup, one of the original builders of the terminus version of London Road. About half the stock that currently appears on London Road belongs to him.

So I don't have the Jubilee in my possession at present and don't know how the person that built it arranged the chassis. Quite simply, it would get wheelspin on other than very light loads, which would normally indicate lack of weight, although it seems reasonably heavy. The 4-6-0 and 2-2-2-0 locos by the same builder performed quite satisfactorily.

What is the current best practice for P4? That'll depend on who you ask. CSB's have their advocates, some prefer "wire" springing, while others stick with compensation. I tend to do the latter, because I find it works for me and is usually simpler to do on the locos I build. 

Edited by Jol Wilkinson

• RMweb Gold

I did wonder what became of 'Right said Fred'

post-14122-0-28163200-1494880851.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Brian,

the Jubilee is the property of John Redrup, one of the original builders of the terminus version of London Road. About half the stock that currently appears on London Road belongs to him.

So I don't have the Jubilee in my possession at present and don't know how the person that built it arranged the chassis. Quite simply, it would get wheelspin on other than very light loads, which would normally indicate lack of weight, although it seems reasonably heavy. The 4-6-0 and 2-2-2-0 locos by the same builder performed quite satisfactorily.

What is the current best practice for P4? That'll depend on who you ask. CSB's have their advocates, some prefer "wire" springing, while others stick with compensation. I tend to do the latter, because I find it works for me and is usually simpler to do on the locos I build. 

Thanks Jol.  I had an interesting discussion with John James, who was demonstrating Split Chassis construction at Bracknell - he also has a preference for a compensated chassis