Channel 4 model railway challenge

Nearholmer

I thought it was quite good, light TV program different from all the other rubbish, quite a few members on it from this forum.

Like the bits where we see other people's layouts in real locations like sheds in gardens, lock up garages etc

Worth watching next 4 episodes

A steam loco that needs refuelling every 20 minutes?  Hmm, I can see that getting a bit wearing after a while.

20-30 is probably about right considering the gradients for an off the shelf and seemingly unmodified RTR loco, a larger loco could have been built for endurance but that would need more fuel and then some means to top it up with water and then a lubricator with a bigger capacity too. Endurance wise, we've had nearly 50 minutes out of a Roundhouse Millie, but that loco design has a larger than normal pot boiler instead of a flue one, and was running slowly on a level track without a load and fired way below blowing off.

I thought the extruded track was a good idea, but the curves looked to be a complication, why not plastic mould lengths at a set radius and cut them to certain lengths to produce the required angle. There is a precedent for this at a number of American racing circuits, where a large curved template was used to mark the road edges and repeated for various lengths of corner or flipped over to turn the other way.

And why wasn't a track laying trailer used to connect the lengths together instead of fumbling around on the ground, as per James May Mk2 as the final levelling looked to be done with the forward running team?

Have to say I enjoyed it, as my neighbour was involved. Although IMO it's more Model Engineering rather than railway modelling.

The only thing I really had an objection to was the way that the guy yelled at Team 1 about how to get the loco on the boat. In fact there was some yelling at the volunteers in general. I felt a bit uncomfortable with that, as the majority of people were volunteers.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Have to say I enjoyed it, as my neighbour was involved. Although IMO it's more Model Engineering rather than railway modelling.

The only thing I really had an objection to was the way that the guy yelled at Team 1 about how to get the loco on the boat. In fact there was some yelling at the volunteers in general. I felt a bit uncomfortable with that, as the majority of people were volunteers.

Maybe the bit where the yellee(s) threw the yeller in to the canal was edited out?  What's (who's) underneath the drowned quadbike?   Tune in for next week's thrilling episode.

I have a Roundhouse Lady Anne which is the poor man's Silver Lady. She may only go for 25 minutes at a time but it is a most enjoyable 25 minutes. I was surprised to find how easy these are to operate and am most impressed with this my only live steamer. At just over £1,400 she was a significant investment but well worth it. I will stick at just the one though.

Edited by Chris M
  • Like 8

I didn’t see the point in the template curves, either. There’s a well-known engineering rule of thumb involving pre-curved sections plus varying numbers of straights to produce varying radii - they aren’t true circular curves but it DOES get you round the corner. The various prefab track panels produced by manufacturers like Decauville and Hudson included this sort of provision

A selection of curves in 1m, 2m and 3m lengths would probably have “engineered out” the hacksaw work, which rather puzzled me

Maybe the bit where the yellee(s) threw the yeller in to the canal was edited out?  What's (who's) underneath the drowned quadbike?   Tune in for next week's thrilling episode.

Nobody, judging by the lack of urgency shown. Quadbikes usually slip down banks and the rider bails out.

Bet they had happy fun times explaining THAT away with the waterways people, though..

Nobody seems to have mentioned the bit-part cameo role played by Ian Futers.  Did he actually make the station building especially for the programme or is it part of a new project in his pipeline?  For all the effort that must have gone into its construction there was very little of it in the programme.

I will admit to being very sceptical when the programme was first mooted - especially with its original trans-pennine route idea.  Now I am impressed that it actually came to fruition - but I'm not sure about the TV programme yet!

• Like 2

Nobody seems to have mentioned the bit-part cameo role played by Ian Futers.  Did he actually make the station building especially for the programme or is it part of a new project in his pipeline?  For all the effort that must have gone into its construction there was very little of it in the programme.

I will admit to being very sceptical when the programme was first mooted - especially with its original trans-pennine route idea.  Now I am impressed that it actually came to fruition - but I'm not sure about the TV programme yet!

Evening 

No it was part of a layout that i must admit was beautiful , but now looks like gone into retirement . you can see it in part one of his books , excellent also .

Thanks 

• RMweb Premium

I didn’t see the point in the template curves, either. There’s a well-known engineering rule of thumb involving pre-curved sections plus varying numbers of straights to produce varying radii - they aren’t true circular curves but it DOES get you round the corner. The various prefab track panels produced by manufacturers like Decauville and Hudson included this sort of provision

A selection of curves in 1m, 2m and 3m lengths would probably have “engineered out” the hacksaw work, which rather puzzled me

The track looked a bit wobbly in places, so wobbly in fact that the locomotive fell off the track. A few wooden wedges and a spirit level would have helped.

I soon came to the conclusion that it wasn't that type of programme, as that kind of modelling represents a minority interest amongst those who participate in the country's second favourite hobby (?), indeed any mention of home layouts seemed to only be there to give some identity to those volunteering. There could have also been more of an explanation as to the design work and how perceived challenges were overcome, and possibly a visit to the Roundhouse Works too.

Does anyone know if they are attempting another go, or did 70 odd miles of extruded plastic go for recycling after the run?

• RMweb Premium

The possibility of a second series was discussed early on. The track was made from recyclable material as part of the early specification for both cost and environmental reasons.

My impression speaking to the production team a number of times was that they stood a better than even chance of completion technically, any real problems would probably be people related. It was clear early on this was more a model engineering challenge than a railway modelling one.

Largely I enjoyed it, but Shouty Man (Hamish or Hermish or whoever) ranting and raving all the time rather ruined it for me (coming next week: "Where Are Your Expansion Joints?!?  Team British Rail I Call This Team.....)  utterly uncalled for.  No volunteers, no show.  Pity no-one told him that. 

Edited by James Harrison
  • Like 1

My impression speaking to the production team a number of times was that they stood a better than even chance of completion technically, any real problems would probably be people related. It was clear early on this was more a model engineering challenge than a railway modelling one.

My opinion is that it isn't really a 'Model Railway', just a long length of plastic extrusion that a nice (but freelance?) live steam loco ran on over a considerable (and very admirable) distance.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The question that sprang to my mind while I was watching was:

Did Colonel Dick, That bloke H (who seemed to be the 'bully' of the show, for no real apparent reason), and Claire sleep in the tents as well, or did their rider insist on hotels?

I enjoyed it, and found it far less cringey than I thought it would be. I too was surprised at the apparent complicatedness of the curved bits, and infact, in the brief view of the components, couldn't work out how they worked.

Andy g

Largely I enjoyed it, but Shouty Man (Hamish or Hermish or whoever) ranting and raving all the time rather ruined it for me (coming next week: "Where Are Your Expansion Joints?!?  Team British Rail I Call This Team.....)  utterly uncalled for.  No volunteers, no show.  Pity no-one told him that. 

I'm afraid that I would have told him where to stuff it and gone home if spoken to like that.

The track looked a bit wobbly in places, so wobbly in fact that the locomotive fell off the track. A few wooden wedges and a spirit level would have helped.

I was rather surprised that a bucket of whatever-the-path-was-surfaced-with and a trowel, or small spade weren’t judiciously employed.

• RMweb Premium

Curiously enough I'd have done the same.

I think I would have engineered a situation where he somehow fell in the drink, and tested out that Mae West....

Andy g

• Like 1

Rolled my eyes a bit at the lifejackets, but other than that it was a nice bit of light entertainment, I'll probably watch it next week. Interesting choice of background, using the Tay Bridge, since my initial reaction was "That's hardly the best choice to demonstrate the advantages of a box girder bridge!" but it was all followed through for a bit of a story. Talking of the bridge, was that decided for TV? A section that could be dropped over the lock gates in time for the train to pass would've been easier

In order to claim a record for longest model railway, I believe all the track has to be in position simultaneously (i.e. they can't start removing the track they've already laid until the loco reaches Inverness) - though I'm sure someone will correct me if that isn't the case. Therefore an extra-temporary removable section over the canal would be against the "rules". On the other hand, I'm sure some lengths could have been attached to the top of the gates to create a swing bridge. 

Edit - I do seem to remember a snipped in RM many years ago where two chaps drove a model loco a considerable difference by removing track from behind the moving loco and re-laying it in front!

Edited by RJS1977

There are, of course, historical precedents for that, such as Fletcher Jennings sending an engineer to the newly-opened Talyllyn Railway to maintain the new locos and show the locals how they worked. He ended up becoming their full time locomotive superintendant, I believe.

I heard something on another thread about a train builder doing something similar recently. Hi-somebody or other, I think it was....

In order to claim a record for longest model railway, I believe all the track has to be in position simultaneously (i.e. they can't start removing the track they've already laid until the loco reaches Inverness) - though I'm sure someone will correct me if that isn't the case. Therefore an extra-temporary removable section over the canal would be against the "rules". On the other hand, I'm sure some lengths could have been attached to the top of the gates to create a swing bridge.

I do seem to remember a snipped in RM many years ago where two chaps drove a model loco a considerable difference by removing track from behind the moving loco and re-laying it in front!

One of the unusual uses for Decauville's products was for explorers using boats to have a couple of bogies and several lengths of portable track to use for portages. By lifting the boat onto the bogies on a length of track then laying track in front of the boat and taking it up behind, the rapids or whatever could be safely bypassed. I don't know how often it was done but it was shown in their catalogue. Edited by Pacific231G

Edit - I do seem to remember a snipped in RM many years ago where two chaps drove a model loco a considerable difference by removing track from behind the moving loco and re-laying it in front!

That was in that documentary I saw called The Wrong Trousers with Wallace and Gromit.

:jester: 

Jason

• Like 1

Are you sure it wasn't this?

post-1303-0-79798700-1515444232.jpg

Mike

• Like 3