Deliberately Old-Fashioned 0 Scale - Chapter 1

Nearholmer

• RMweb Gold

I agree. Having built terminus to fiddle yard layouts I have realised that I would like to have a nice continuous run. I may well add a terminus and some storage sidings but the desire to be able to watch a train run for a while just for the pleasure of watching it run is important. Something that  most end to end layouts cannot do. 

Don

• Like 1
  • Agree 11

• RMweb Premium
On 21/08/2022 at 13:04, Nearholmer said:

Some actual, physical progress on the new, smaller layout to report, in that I have laid one complete circuit.

Not much really, but it is slow, fiddly work due to all the baseboard-joint crossings, and TBH it would never have happened now if I didn’t have a bit of a cold that has temporarily removed my desire to do ‘outdoor things’.

This will probably go back into aestivation (I had to look that up) shortly.

29CDFE4D-5107-426A-A355-755A1A532070.jpeg

Glad to see some progress with the replacement layout. I collected a rather posh new loco today, which looks rather fine at the head of three LNER "Teak" coaches (I know it ought to be ECJS vehicles to match the livery - but rule 1 applies).

IMG_1274.jpg.c16ec7f91fe8fe1b5ec81f71be73943a.jpg

I look forward to the opportunity to meet and play trains again soon.

Regards

Chris H

• Like 16

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder why BL decided to use the DoY name, rather than PoW or Prince Edward? I wonder whether WJB-L had spotted that PoW was trouble in the making?

Anyway, clockwork Prince Charles seem to be a bit disappointing. Mine is near ‘factory fresh’, so the spring isn’t tired, but it doesn’t have great stamina, being beaten by quite weary 1920/30s Hornby No.2 locos, and equalled by a very tatty Bing George V, which is significantly heavier.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

15 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Anyway, clockwork Prince Charles seem to be a bit disappointing. Mine is near ‘factory fresh’, so the spring isn’t tired, but it doesn’t have great stamina, being beaten by quite weary 1920/30s Hornby No.2 locos, and equalled by a very tatty Bing George V, which is significantly heavier.

I have a couple of clockwork Prince Charles, neither of which are great runners. They seem to improve with running, but are very inconsistent. One session one will be the better runner, the next the other one will be better. My pet hate with these is having the connecting hook on the tender. If the hook was on the locomotive the flap wouldn't keep getting in the way.

On 10/09/2022 at 16:15, sncf231e said:

Prince Charles and the Duke of York (O Gauge Bassett-Lowke clockwork): who is the winner:

An interesting contest when you consider that the Duke of York was the Prince of Wales grandfather, in real life and arguably in model form.

According to Roland Fuller's The Basset Lowke Story negotiations between Basset Lowke and Godfrey Phillips, the manufacturers of B.D.V. Cigarettes, for the manufacture of The Duke of York began in 1926. Which gives a rather poignant twist to the connection.

• Informative/Useful 1

The date could explain why the then PoW wasn’t thought a fit person to honour in printed tin, because by then he was annoying people by dabbling in the General Strike (he seems to have done things that appeared to support both sides, which is a bit odd), and knowledge of his womanising, playboy behaviour, and general dodginess seems to have spread well beyond ‘the inner circle’ by then.

• RMweb Premium

Plus of course the Prince of Wales name was already associated with Bowen Cooke's superheater 4-6-0s to which the Bassett-Lowke Duke of York bears little resemblance - unlike Prince Charles with its characteristic LNWR splasher! The first of the class, Prince of Wales itself, enetered service in October 1911, Prince Edward having been invested as Prince of Wales the previous July.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Ah, that’s it, I should have remembered!

BL did commission PoW from Bing, a very good likeness, but they were only made for a short while (1925-26??) and are now very rare.

Glad to have been the madeleine to your remembrance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Although hardly in the league of the delightful locos on display in this thread, but I've been given a pair of very woe-begone Hornby type 40 0-4-0T's in BR black. 

One looked as though it had been dropped from the first floor window, but with careful work it looks presentable (but it will never be perfect), but both are affected by rust, the dropped one still having a gloss, the better one being more rusty...

The clockwork mechanisms appear to be workers, but need a good clean, but one is missing a piston and coupling rod, and has the pin missing from the driving wheel on that side, and both are missing a knurled knob on the operating rods.

What is the best way to clean the mech's? and where do I get spares from please?

I suppose its not quite heresy to sand down and re-paint them either?

Andy G

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

If the mechs are gummed-up with old oil, grease etc, the best treatment is a gentle simmer in a pot of water for a few minutes, followed by swift blast with a hair-dryer, then re-lubricate sparingly.

You don’t need to boil the mechanism for long, and you need to keep the wheels out of contact with the base of the pan, which might be too hot for their good, and an old toothbrush can be used to poke about and release the worst gunge.

You will find that the grease and muck form a scum on top of the water, which you can skim off.

There are various spares suppliers, but Chris Ford might be a good man to contact first, he’s mega helpful and if he hasn’t got what you need will point you to a source. https://toytrainspares.net

No.40 0-4-0 are repaint and modification fodder. Most HRCA meeting include a few altered ones alongside the pristine original examples.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that advice, I can see the second best pan being pressed into action while the wife is out...

I'll also give Chris a bell to see what is available spares wise.

I'm struggling to see what they could be converted into, do you have any photos of some?

Andy G

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

After a marathon wiring-up session today, the new layout (which really needs a name) was host to test operations this evening!

Everything works. Still some ‘electrics’ to do, fitting section switches, making proper inter-board ‘jumpers’ etc, but this is a big move forward, because I can play trains again after a long break.

Excuse the mess; I’ll tidy up tomorrow, honest.

B9B0DA91-50EB-445A-B570-09DFD827BC71.jpeg.9dbec5b7b6e5023319f874e356a85c7b.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Round of applause 6

• RMweb Premium

Looks like you have reached a significant milestone, so I hope to be able to come and see soon.

There has also been a bit more progress on Gutter Lane recently, with the third switching panel being fully finished and boxed up- although there are a few feed wires to connect at the track ends.

IMG_1351.jpg.6a69104dbd6ba1de55d9b1772897470c.jpg

Also there has been some operations / playing going on as the Atlantics seem to be breeding.

IMG_1344.jpg.952fe21e7fe17fdbe8ea7fa2c5bedf76.jpg

The final track fixing and wiring for the lifting flap will be progressed over the next week or so. Then I will start on platforms etc.

Regards

Chris H

• Like 12