Deliberately Old-Fashioned 0 Scale - Chapter 1

Nearholmer

I think progress on even this branch-line across the plywood prairies will be dictated by affordability considerations: I was searching for  12/24V plugs and sockets to use for inter-board connectors during a coffee break yesterday, and sheeesh! The choice is between “cheap, but you know that they will be unreliable”, and “obviously well-designed and robust, but how much!!???”.

I bought a small plank of wood and a tin of emulsion paint the other day for DIY work, and that experience was similar.

Grumble, grumble, grumble.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

We've used chocolate block plugs and sockets for inter-board connection cables on our club exhibition layout - crude but effective and economical. There's been the occasional wire work loose but on a fixed layout i wouldn't expect that to be a problem:

image.png.aa9820671023156506f017e61cb80e1a.png

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

European trailer plugs are 7- and 13- way.  They’re certainly robust, and easily available with not too outrageous pricing, but I’d suggest they’re serious overkill for most modelling applications.  They’re big, huge, too.

D-sub connectors are available as ready-made leads in convenient lengths, or as individual plugs and sockets.  They’re rated at 5A per pin, but don’t pull the plug under load!  I don’t think I’d like to run a D25 at anything close to 125A even if it’s theoretically ok….   But you could connect a four track line using D9 connectors, and 5A is far more than even Heljan 0-gauge locos would typically draw.

It’s true that they’re fiddly, as you do have to solder to the connectors.  But I think for most (like 99.9%)  portable layouts, board links using D9 or D25 connectors would be the cheapest and easiest way to go.

if, on the other hand, you’re copying Simon George, go right ahead with the trailer plugs!  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, GRASinBothell said:

So, you might look at the automobile trailer market.

They were one of the good quality, but unjustifiably expensive options that I looked at. So far, the best ones in terms of balance between cost and the sort of OTT ruggedness that I seek seem to be 24V ones designed for use on yachts.

For old-fashioned appeal, I could really do with something army or RAF surplus, or out of an old telephone exchange, but the sort of backstreet shops that used to sell that sort of thing died out about twenty five years ago.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

For old-fashioned appeal, I could really do with something army or RAF surplus, or out of an old telephone exchange, but the sort of backstreet shops that used to sell that sort of thing died out about twenty five years ago.

As a youngster in the 70s it was always mystifying reading in the Toddler about "Ex-GPO/Government/Military*" electrical components - often "relays", whatever they were - almost every layout of consequence seemed to use them, but never any info given on how or where to obtain them!!

* delete as appropriate.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

How many connections do you need to make at each board joint ? Are you just needing to carry 3r track power or do you have accessory power/isolating switches to consider too ?

Lucas style automotive connectors, like the D-type, come in a variety of 'ways' and usually with the connectors not fitted to the plastic housing, so, omissions can be made if required....  They also require no soldering !

I am aware of other RMWebbers who use the chocolate-block connectors with great success ....

Regards !

Andi

Edited by andi4x4
  • Like 1

Yes, I think RM suggested getting two choccy blocks and joining one row of each of them together with brass pins, leaving the outer screws to attach the wires.  You could then separate the connectors by loosening one of the rows of screws securing the pins.

frankly too much hassle!

old aircraft or military radio connectors, for those war surplus shops…. I remember Bert Ault, down by the park gates in Birkenhead, what a treasure trove!

Edited by Simond
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Simond said:

Yes, I think RM suggested getting two choccy blocks and joining one row of each of them together with brass pins, leaving the outer screws to attach the wires.  You could then separate the connectors by loosening one of the rows of screws securing the pins.

frankly too much hassle!

No hassle - You can buy them like that as a commercial item!  As Compound2632 suggested, cheap, efficient and easy to install. Lots to be found on that well known auction site !

• Like 2

16 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

As a youngster in the 70s it was always mystifying reading in the Toddler about "Ex-GPO/Government/Military*" electrical components - often "relays", whatever they were - almost every layout of consequence seemed to use them, but never any info given on how or where to obtain them!!

* delete as appropriate.

I used to pick up the old A5(ish)* format "Radio Constructors" from the early 50s at jumble sales when young, and there was a lot of chat in those about "Ex-GPO/Government/Military*" electrical components.  The source was secondhand surplus suppliers on the Tottenham Court Road in London (Handy for Euston Station), who advertised in the back of the mags too. Two I think I remember were Henrys and Laskeys, who went on to bigger things before imploding.

GPO Relays!  Yes, with loads of switching contacts!  They were also popular with those who wanted to build simple logic circuits, eg very basic "computers" in the late 1950s.

Sadly, all these wonders had dried up by the late 60s, early 70s, so I never got to lay my hands on them either!

* Same format as Railway Modeller in the early 50s.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, johnhutnick said:

Can someone please tell me who manufactures the GNR 4-4-2 posted by Chris H.  Thank you.

It is commisioned by WJ Vintage and manufactured by ETS in GNR and LNER livery.

https://www.wjvintage.co.uk/product/gnr-lnrer-ivatt-class-c1-4-4-2-atlantic/

Regards

Fred

Edited by sncf231e
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Don't be put off by the "Sold Out" message. There have been four distinct versions - mainly involving the liveries - and although some were all allocated on delivery to UK there are probably a few still available. Speak to Paul Lumsdon a.s.a.p. for further info.

Regards

Chris H

• Like 1

On 19/11/2022 at 19:28, johnhutnick said:

Can someone please tell me who manufactures the GNR 4-4-2 posted by Chris H.  Thank you.

It is a joint commission from ETS by WJVintage and Raylo.

https://www.raylo.co.uk/ivatt-class-c1-4-4-2-atlantic-locomotive-4604-p.asp

https://www.wjvintage.co.uk/product/gnr-lnrer-ivatt-class-c1-4-4-2-atlantic/

Edited by goldfish
Added url.
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

CE4C4D7D-67C0-49BD-B362-DA4DE46A7353.jpeg

Suitably OTT and outdated-looking 24V 10A plugs and sockets made by Messrs Alfa Marine have arrived. These were very good value, but I really wanted the uber-expensive solid nickel storm-proof ones!

Busy this week, so they may not get fitted until next, but it’s another step forward.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 10

• 3 weeks later...

I recently acquired a rather nice vintage wagon, it was fitted with these, which I do not have any use for.

Free to a good home, indeed any kind of home!  please pm me if you would like them  - yours for the cost of the postage - btw they are not insulated for 2R !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Simond said:

I recently acquired a rather nice vintage wagon, it was fitted with these, which I do not have any use for.

Free to a good home, indeed any kind of home!  please pm me if you would like them  - yours for the cost of the postage - btw they are not insulated for 2R !

Hi Simond,presume you are talking about the wheels?

Phil

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Simond said:

Abject apologies, the photo should have been there.

image.jpg.39ab122c3ab272367a072ceaac9f8c65.jpg

I’d not seen this before, but the wheels are not fixed to one another and appear to be able to rotate independently.  Good and solid, though!

Ooooo very nice.  Any ideas as to the manufacturer?