Deliberately Old-Fashioned 0 Scale - Chapter 1

Nearholmer

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

I think it was, yes, after BL sold residuals to them c1967, but the real answer is Bassett-Lowke.

Beatties moved to the other side of the junction, and might still be there, if they haven’t closed.

Beatties shut-up shop in the Holborn area more than 12 years back. I retired in early 2010 and they had given up a couple of years before then.

Regards

Chris H

• Informative/Useful 1

It all seems like yesterday…….

Checking on-line, it seems that Beatties actually expired completely, everywhere, in 2001, but that a few stores continued under new ownership as Modelzone, which I’m pretty sure the Holborn one did. I recall it ceasing to stock anything I wanted or needed, but having lots of ready-to-play RC things. The last of those closed in 2013.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Checking on-line, it seems that Beatties actually expired completely, everywhere, in 2001, but that a few stores continued under new ownership as Modelzone, which I’m pretty sure the Holborn one did. I recall it ceasing to stock anything I wanted or needed, but having lots of ready-to-play RC things. The last of those closed in 2013.

Yes; there was one in Reading. It did carry some model railway stuff - Hornby and Bachmann. The firm commissioned some limited edition liveries from Bachmann. On the demise of the Modelzone store, WH Smith had a Modelzone concession in their craft section for a while but that is now long gone too.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Johnson044 said:

I'm amazed there is no blue plaque here. 

I then thought I'd look at 112 High Holborn and... NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

112 High Holborn.JPG

Noooooooooo the horror of it all.  The utter horror.

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

It’s not good is it?

I used to walk past that scene of desecration regularly, because my office was only about a couple of hundred metres further along, and had to avert my eyes.

Probably better than a vacant building.

• Agree 1

On 08/06/2022 at 17:02, F-UnitMad said:

Ok, I'll ask the Dumb Question. Which model shop used to be at 112 High Holborn? 

I know it certainly wasn't Victors.

Triang were going to be a 1120 High Holborn, but they found it a little small for all their stuff so they moved into 1100 High Holborn instead.

• Round of applause 1

2 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

At least the brand is in good hands .....

image.png.36c2b6ed3ad6b114729a53e274e9cf49.png

You know, thats even more of a disaster than the one I turned into a brake third by adding guards duckets at one end!

Its a sad comedown from the fag-end of "real" BL

https://www.hattons.co.uk/20992/bassett_lowke_bl99039_20_ton_brake_van_br_brown_with_working_rear_light/stockdetail

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I wondered if that 0 gauge Hornby layout was being sold by Edwardian seeing as its in his area but I dont think he would have thought 10ftx5ft as massive.

Don

• RMweb Premium

Note this is all that is needed for an ebay link. The "?" and all that follows is useless drivel.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255581113408

To bad that the layout is not local to me, I WOULD find space for it!

Edited by J. S. Bach
To do an edit and add some information.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ben B said:

Sorry about the drivel; was sending off my phone, and for some reason it included all the extra faff when it posted

No problem.

BTW: the layout did not sell, that sort of surprised me.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

No problem.

It is rather big to go in a car and probably a long way to go for a lot of people.

Don

• Agree 2

Just caught up with this. If there is anyone here who wants to buy this layout  - it should be possible to contact the seller via Ebay - I am local.

I have a potential issue in that I cannot currently open the tailgate of my Discovery, but might be able to fit it in. My new shed should be arriving Monday, so, I have somewhere to put it pending collection.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Ben B said:

Wow! - that is amazing!  Certainly it would be a dream come true for me to own something like that.

3 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

No problem.

Some people don't know gold when they see it.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

No problem.

It's a shame- I'd genuinely love to have it, but not for my small terraced house with 5 of us living here. Ah well, hopefully someone with a decent garage or spare room will save it...

• Friendly/supportive 1

12 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

No problem.

12 hours ago, Donw said:

It is rather big to go in a car and probably a long way to go for a lot of people.

Don

Plus it needs all-round access, or just one of the 5ft ends against a wall. A massive chunk to try and move, to be honest.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

Plus it needs all-round access, or just one of the 5ft ends against a wall. A massive chunk to try and move, to be honest.

Not sure whether it's just me, but some of the structures and clearances looked rather small for 0 gauge.