Show us your Pugbashes, Nellieboshes, Desmondifications, Jintysteins

Corbs

• RMweb Gold
On 06/01/2022 at 22:10, ianmacc said:

There’s a charm with all these starter sets and they would make a good collection in their own right.  I hadn’t seen that LNER J50 before and it’s bonkers that’s it’s been reliveried into European market finish! 

A few Lima OO items also appeared in odd places. The 94XX was released in South Africa in SAR/SAS black (I saw one of these on a sales stand at Chatham show years ago and foolishly didn't buy it) and the 09 appeared in DSB green and SJ orange.

• Agree 1

DSC_1063.JPG.24cddcc7e31c1a31522f5fe6cdd2bfc7.JPGDSC_1063.JPG.24cddcc7e31c1a31522f5fe6cdd2bfc7.JPGDSC_1065.JPG.e6238e35107915453c57227948b517ce.JPGDSC_1065.JPG.e6238e35107915453c57227948b517ce.JPGHi all,DSC_1062.JPG.425e88dadf61768c28aaba03d9c0d51b.JPG

DSC_1178.JPG

DSC_1192.JPG

DSC_1187.JPG

DSC_1190.JPG

DSC_1189.JPG

DSC_1190.JPG

DSC_1069.JPG

Those old Lima tank engines make great cheap starter engines for bashing into other things. Or just improving the look of the original engines. These are a couple I bought as spares and repairs. Replace the motors with new CD motors, added extra pickups, so it now picks up on all 6 wheels and put a footplate into where the tank and the front wheel access opening is. Glazed the windows, put wire handrails on. 8981 also made it the extended bunker version. The added the correct numbering and livery for each engine. And generally upgraded them. I do not think that all 3 cost me all together more than £30.00

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Here's an extraordinary looking LSWR machine which could be reasonably easily recreated using a Caledonian Pug body and perhaps an L&Y Pug chassis. https://transportsofdelight.smugmug.com/RAILWAYS/LOCOMOTIVES-OF-SOUTHERN-RAILWAY-CONSTITUENT-COMPANIES/LOCOMOTIVES-OF-THE-LONDON-SOUTH-WESTERN-RAILWAY/i-dFwksRm

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

On 02/09/2022 at 11:24, papagolfjuliet said:

A few Lima OO items also appeared in odd places. The 94XX was released in South Africa in SAR/SAS black (I saw one of these on a sales stand at Chatham show years ago and foolishly didn't buy it) and the 09 appeared in DSB green and SJ orange.

There is a grain of truth in the DSB and SJ shunters as both railways bought EE shunters as a trial (DSB had 1, SJ 2)

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

Being cash strapped at the moment, I’m keen to do some modelling that doesn’t break the bank. 

Hoping this one works out - a Dubs 0-4-0 Crane Tank using a Tomy body, Hornby chassis and other detail bits. I’m sure I could do a better scratch build but this is easy on me right now. Surprisingly the body isn’t too bad for my eyes, the crane is extremely small so a new one will be scratch built for the loco.

E5DA4797-D0E7-4CD7-A588-BD33B46F1851.jpeg

• Like 16

• 1 month later...

Hello fellow bashers, at the recent Stafford Show I picked up one of the Hornby Dublo starter set 0-4-0s made from the Dinky pushalong train body, I'm wondering if anyone has bashed one before, I have found a bash which I think was shown here before the great RM web crash on a Hornby pocket rocket mechanism. Just wondering if anyone else has done otherwise with the body. It's a fantastically large body of decidedly Drummond LSWR flavour and I'm thinking perhaps a chunky 0-6-0 using the Electrotren chassis or maybe even an 0-8-0 like the K&ESR Hecate.

• Like 3

Are 3D printed replacement bodies bashing ? if so here 2 of mine done to fit the Smokey Joe chassis.

UlWOA9D.jpg

Tp9vGBO.jpg

Originally done for a friend who's building a 00 freelance layout.

If you want to pint your own they are on Cults 3D as paying downloads 

Tom 

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 1

3 hours ago, tebee said:

Are 3D printed replacement bodies bashing ? if so here 2 of mine done to fit the Smokey Joe chassis.

Originally done for a friend who's building a 00 freelance layout.

If you want to pint your own they are on Cults 3D as paying downloads 

Tom 

Very nice! I've done a lot of work along these lines, and your saddle tank is much better than mine.

Also Tom

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TangoOscarMike said:

Very nice! I've done a lot of work along these lines, and your saddle tank is much better than mine.

Also Tom

Well Thanks.

The saddle tank is actually a virtual kitbash - the boiler/smokebook/firebox tank came off an On16.5 Hunslet quarry tank and the cab is off a pug or more accurately a pugbash I recreated as a 3D print. 

It was your locos that inspired my friend to nudge me and remind me that I'd promised him some similar ones 2 years ago when I was building a freelance OO layout and he copied me  ! 

The good ol' Smokey Joe is not an easy chassis to design for the motor is high at the back and that clip is wide at a bad place for saddle tanks 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, tebee said:

It was your locos that inspired my friend to nudge me and remind me that I'd promised him some similar ones 2 years ago when I was building a freelance OO layout and he copied me  ! 

Well, that's extremely pleasing!

23 hours ago, tebee said:

The good ol' Smokey Joe is not an easy chassis to design for the motor is high at the back and that clip is wide at a bad place for saddle tanks 

I imagine the design meeting:

"Gentlemen, this is a grievously hugeous motor for such a tiny locomotive. How can we make the situation worse?"

"What about a big cradle for the motor, that makes the whole thing a third of an inch wider?"

"Ooh yes, and then we could have a fiddly wire clip that extends out even further!"

"Excellent!"

Edited by TangoOscarMike
Typo.
  • Funny 9

And another 3D print, this time on a Black Anna chassis 

This is also sort of a  pugbash twice removed . Back in 1971 or so I did two 009 pugbashs to a Kerr Stuart Tattoo style loco with a bit of Bagnall thrown in. 12 years ago  I replicated this as a 3D print, Now I've taken that 3D, design reworked it as an SG saddle tank

LlIR7JI.jpg

• Like 14

Nice. Fleischmann HO Anna? That counts as a pugbash, in my book.

Yes

Likewise nice. What chassis?

The Minitrix T3/dock tank 0-6-0t  - Like I said it was designed 12 years ago , there are probably better chassis around now.  It was originally on Shapeways, this is one of a batch of resin print one I did a few years ago. There is a side tank version I did later too.

Somewhere I have a picture of the original Pugbashes, but after they got wrecked coming home from an exhibition. The van was in a minor collision when a car pulled out in front of it from a side street. The stock box containing the locos went flying across it  and smashed on the dashboard.

• Friendly/supportive 6

51 minutes ago, AlfaZagato said:

A Barnum, isn't it?

I think it's a 3232 class. The Barnums had outside frames.

On 23/10/2022 at 07:25, RosiesBoss said:

G'day, all,

Is this a Jintystein?

I think it's a JinDeaNellCas27xx-stein. As previously stated, a mighy fine stein.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, CameronL said:

I think it's a 3232 class. The Barnums had outside frames.

They were really elegant late 19th century 2-4-0s:

63899375_GW3232ClassNo_3235.jpg.88ead6dca09bd5c2b303488d70403d65.jpg

until given that hideous extended smokebox, Belpaire boiler, and Christmas turkey dome.

in both respects, the passenger equivalent of the Dean goods.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

Building a 0-6-2 colliery engine out of a Bachmann junior chassis and a Triang saddle tank. Still needs the chassis mounting, rear wheel set added and painting. The plastic is a bit distressed in some areas so I may practice some rust effects on the warped bits.

20220903_132321.jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

7 hours ago, Paleopotato09 said:

Building a 0-6-2 colliery engine out of a Bachmann junior chassis and a Triang saddle tank. Still needs the chassis mounting, rear wheel set added and painting. The plastic is a bit distressed in some areas so I may practice some rust effects on the warped bits.

20220903_132321.jpg

Interesting choice - I can't recall one of these being "stein'd" before!

Intrigued to see how this turns out.....