Show us your Pugbashes, Nellieboshes, Desmondifications, Jintysteins

Corbs

4 hours ago, Ben B said:

Having built Ivor, I fancied a second locomotive for the clockwork layout, for a bit of variety.  The only other prominent 'loco' in the Ivor stories was an unreliable rail lorry contraption, which didn't really seem possible on the standard Triang/Hornby clockwork 00 chassis.  Being a Welsh railway, I wanted a suitable prototype, and turned to another nostalgia-themed build...

20754600_BENBUCKI_IvorProject_WelshPony_01.jpg.faf330d8e4ba369e744128791e3602fa.jpg 

Alongside the Ivor layout, I had knocked-up a model of "Welsh Pony" for the garden line as a lockdown project, more out of annoyance that the travel bans were going to stop me getting to see the real thing (my favourite loco since childhood) getting restored to run on the Ffestiniog.  This was another 'cobbled together from scraps and bits of old toys' model, built from limited supplies at home during the first Lockdown.  Having built one in roughly 7/8ths scale, doing a version in 4mm seemed fitting; it's never really clear about if Ivor is standard or narrow gauge.  One story has him going to a mainline shed, but the whole atmosphere of the line is decidedly narrow gauge.  What the hell, I thought either a George England tank loco or a Double Fairlie was the most stereotypically top-left-corner-of-Wales loco design, and there was no way a Fairlie was going to get around the curves on the layout...

239249621_BENBUCKI_IvorProject_WelshPony_02.jpg.273b21a3b4389fc7ee06eb3b83fe963c.jpg

A quick eBay purchase was another Hornby Thomas, bought cheap as it was damaged.

2038287329_BENBUCKI_IvorProject_WelshPony_03.jpg.a2442c0495ad128d1354286bd5aac166.jpg

Bodywork was again from plasticard, a deliberate caricature of the real thing, with overscale rivets and other details.

1579141752_BENBUCKI_IvorProject_WelshPony_04.jpg.30ef31b666ad8c2b34abe8f3cffe6646.jpg

Same again with the other bits, odds and ends from stationery, toys, model kits...

103902809_BENBUCKI_IvorProject_WelshPony_05.jpg.1c9bfc1d54578e737bcd9647cb56048d.jpg

The sky-blue livery seemed the best to provide a contrast with Ivor.  Again, Citadel paints.

604955310_BENBUCKI_IvorProject_WelshPony_07.jpg.9b7d53582782264ca08510e4b7b417a0.jpg

The loco seems quite at home on the layout, if anything all the black lining makes it blend-in rather nicely and shows I probably should have gone down that route with Ivor.

1514265109_BENBUCKI_IvorProject_WelshPony_06.jpg.cbcf155eaccae6d97185bb8888ac2a8b.jpg

Incidentally, the loco was named "Enfys", Welsh for Rainbow.  This is a bit of an in-joke with my Youngest.  The loco is a sky-blue coloured "Welsh Pony", and her other passion is "My Little Pony", which has a sky-blue coloured character called Rainbow Dash.  The crossover children's TV episode nobody expected there :)

And yes, that is a Purple Moose Brewery tanker too ;)

This is what it's all about! Cheap and cheerful fun, and unique models as well! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

10 hours ago, 33C said:

Which begs the question, can you build a model railway with materials only bought in Poundland! :O:scratchhead:

If you accept one of those battery powered TT sets, bought from Poundland in about 1993, and wish to set a notional top budget, then I'm happy to accept that challenge :)

• Like 6

11 hours ago, 33C said:

Which begs the question, can you build a model railway with materials only bought in Poundland! :O:scratchhead:

I think you'd struggle with creating the baseboard, but apart from that, yes, probably.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, jcm@gwr said:

I think you'd struggle with creating the baseboard, but apart from that, yes, probably.

Hi all,

I do not think creating the base board would be a problem. I have several off cuts of MDF in my shed doing nothing. One of the is 5ftx2ft so I am sure other people would have something similar. Unless you mean you cannot buy the baseboard from Poundland. In that case it would have to be a large teatray from them. My wife for a bit of fun bought me a trainset in a tin a couple of Christmas's ago. Engine, tender and 2 wagons. The track that came with it would easily fit on a large teatray. Plus it is battery powered so no winding up to be done.

train tin.jpg

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

If you allow bases from cardboard packaging (even if it comes from other outlets) the big fruit/veg trays from supermarkets are good if used with added cross bracing. Very big sheets of card also from Halfords as it is what the bicycles are delivered in.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, john new said:

If you allow bases from cardboard packaging (even if it comes from other outlets) the big fruit/veg trays from supermarkets are good if used with added cross bracing. Very big sheets of card also from Halfords as it is what the bicycles are delivered in.

They do large bread boards, cover with a yoga mat, spray with oxide primer, scatter with green, crumbled up flower foam, buildings from the toy rescue set, track and stock from the Chinese, battery train set, trees from the zoo/jungle pack, tunnel from packaging, craft, googley eyes for a Thomas theme or leave it colonial.......all put in a perspex, storage box with lid! Comes in under a tenner. Cheapo!!:locomotive:

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

I'm going to have a crack at it tommorow; setting myself a budget of £20 for everything, and exclusively using Poundland. The £20 is the top budget, and will include paint, glue, tools, etc, I'm hoping to bring it in for well below that! 

Phil Parker, of this parish, is right when he says I can't resist a micro layout challenge ;)

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Ben B said:

I'm going to have a crack at it tommorow; setting myself a budget of £20 for everything, and exclusively using Poundland. The £20 is the top budget, and will include paint, glue, tools, etc, I'm hoping to bring it in for well below that! 

Phil Parker, of this parish, is right when he says I can't resist a micro layout challenge ;)

"Good luck, we're all counting on you." :help:

3 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

There is now a whole thread devoted to very cheap modelling:

My " Cheapo train sets, get creative..." and "Toys to the garden" threads may give some ideas.....:D

• Agree 2

Took advantage of the low winter sun to capture the last train to "Smugglers Reach".........(Hornby PUG powered!)

20220109_133935.jpg

20220109_134354.jpg

20220109_134406.jpg

20220109_134126.jpg

Edited by 33C
added photo.
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Thought I would try and make a pastiche Victorian tank loco, with all the ideas in my head about a small late Victorian or early Edwardian village line full of hand me down stock. Had plenty of 101 shells lying around in various states of disrepair so I chose one to make a start. Solebar lip filed away to make the body look thinner, cab roof filed away and rounded off, plus lots of rounded corners. Debating whether to have a normal smokebox door, which would be more realistic for the period, or a square type door, to make it look a bit more Victorian. Will probably add handrails at some point, among other details, but livery is yet to be decidedIMG_20220115_210154_hdr.jpg.c29e65c23eb736236c0f92a3c0e8c23e.jpgIMG_20220115_210124_hdr.jpg.12ff55705cdf8b6c4c5bf00965597069.jpg

IMG_20220115_210151_hdr.jpg

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, tubs01 said:

Thought I would try and make a pastiche Victorian tank loco, with all the ideas in my head about a small late Victorian or early Edwardian village line full of hand me down stock. Had plenty of 101 shells lying around in various states of disrepair so I chose one to make a start. Solebar lip filed away to make the body look thinner, cab roof filed away and rounded off, plus lots of rounded corners. Debating whether to have a normal smokebox door, which would be more realistic for the period, or a square type door, to make it look a bit more Victorian. Will probably add handrails at some point, among other details, but livery is yet to be decidedIMG_20220115_210154_hdr.jpg.c29e65c23eb736236c0f92a3c0e8c23e.jpgIMG_20220115_210124_hdr.jpg.12ff55705cdf8b6c4c5bf00965597069.jpg

IMG_20220115_210151_hdr.jpg

Lose the cab front and roof and add a "weatherboard" to give it a real victorian look. Use cereal packet card to give it the typical upsweep to the rear and a hole punch for the spectacle plate. :D

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, 33C said:

Lose the cab front and roof and add a "weatherboard" to give it a real victorian look. Use cereal packet card to give it the typical upsweep to the rear and a hole punch for the spectacle plate. :D

That was the original plan, kind of, I was going to get rid of the cab roof then file down the sides of the cab front to make it thinner, I might still do but for now I'm leaving it as is, I've also thought about making a small 'crown' out of a few pieces of metal wire, for some standard Victorian over the top decoration

• Like 2

Still waiting on the chassis so I've had a start on another shell lying about, much less dramatic this time, any mods I could make, suggestions very much welcome. I've got quite a few other 0-4-0s in various states, some just shells, some with chassis, and some that need quite a bit of repair, so I might aswell find a use for them allIMG_20220121_211528_hdr.jpg.fbd5adc2c0c02d086d9e40c46b8e0384.jpg

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, tubs01 said:

Still waiting on the chassis so I've had a start on another shell lying about, much less dramatic this time, any mods I could make, suggestions very much welcome. I've got quite a few other 0-4-0s in various states, some just shells, some with chassis, and some that need quite a bit of repair, so I might aswell find a use for them allIMG_20220121_211528_hdr.jpg.fbd5adc2c0c02d086d9e40c46b8e0384.jpg

Take off the cab, reduce the height of the boiler mountings, add big, deep, dumb buffers = gas works loco. Or, Add an extra, closed cab to the front like a Y9. Or, Cover with a coach body and use in the middle of 2 matching coaches like an early railcar. Or, box it up like a Sentinel. Or, find a toy crane and add the jib to the rear/top for a crane tank. Or, a "Fire engine" as used in, I think, Horwich Works. (Water supply and hoses,extinguishers carried with a bell?) Or, add skirts as a tram engine. Or, do a Rowland Emmett type loco........Good Luck!

• Like 1

On 07/01/2022 at 14:44, john new said:

Also looks like my memory’s recollection of the 0-4-0 Hornby-Dublo introduced just before the company failed. Same moulding perhaps and released under both of Meccano’s brand names.

edit - a quick e-bay search for the HD starter set loco appears to confirm the above.

Yes the HD starter set 0-4-0 came out in 1964, with 2 plastic wagons and a plastic brake van, its rare but not really valuable. About 1975 Dinky used the molding and brought out diecast push a long with 2 diecast open wagons.

By using the dicast body on a 1980's Hornby 0-4-0 chassis you get quite a good looking tank which due to weight pulls along a reasonable load, here's mine made a few decades ago

20220129_022213.jpg.845ba4c595eebb2ca0e950fa6de2c7cf.jpg

Somewhere there is a thread showing how it's done, the push a long chassis are usually quite common

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1