RMweb

Show us your Pugbashes, Nellieboshes, Desmondifications, Jintysteins

Corbs

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, yes, I saw the RM more often than MRC in those years, my memory does CJ Freezer and RM a disservice by thinking it was a heavier weight feature than RM tended to carry. But that is indeed why I'd know of it.

• RMweb Premium

Oh, and reminded of this by features in the old RM...I picked up an October 1970 issue recently and there was an article by Don Towneley, obviously part of an irregular series I'd forgotten, about industrial steam.  Does anyone know if there's any sort of index anywhere to what drawings were published in that series?  Useful sources for the pugbashing thread, if I may bring the conversation back to that.  I've little idea where to look for authoritative drawings for industrial types otherwise, and wouldn't want to work just from photos.

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Mr Cervus said:

Oh, and reminded of this by features in the old RM...I picked up an October 1970 issue recently and there was an article by Don Towneley, obviously part of an irregular series I'd forgotten, about industrial steam.  Does anyone know if there's any sort of index anywhere to what drawings were published in that series?  Useful sources for the pugbashing thread, if I may bring the conversation back to that.  I've little idea where to look for authoritative drawings for industrial types otherwise, and wouldn't want to work just from photos.

There isn't a published index as such AFAIK, however, if you have a subscription to the digital version of RM, the entire archive is available online.  While it is searchable, it's not infallible.  I found reference to one of Mr Townsley's drawings in the letters page, when the article itself didn't come up in the search.

This is what I have found so far (given the limitations of the search function, it may not be a complete list.)

Industrial Railways - Manning Wardle's magnum opus - 0-6-0 ST  Littleton No.4  May 1970

Industrial Steam - The Welshman - Manning Wardle - 0-6-0 ST  October 1970

Industrial Steam - We're only here for the beer! - Bass 0-4-0 ST  April 1972

Industrial Railways - Back to Littleton - Hunslet Austerity 0-6-0 ST  September 1972

Industrial Steam - Avonside B3 0-6-0 ST - October 1975

Yorkshire Engine Co 0-4-0ST   February 1979

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

From my own list, additional to the above, it also may not be complete,

Cadbury No. 9, Hunslet 0-4-0ST, November 1965

Manning Wardle 0-8-0T, June 1976

(is this my typo? I wasn't aware MW built anything that big) Evidently they did, Wiki lists such a beastie, named Katharine, built in 1914 for the Bridgewater Collieries. 

Kerr Stuart 'Victory' 0-6-0T, September 1966

ex-NER 964 class 0-6-0ST, July 1970

Peckett Fireless 0-4-0, April 1966

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

3 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Kerr Stuart 'Victory' 0-6-0T, September 1966

And that there article was the one which got me HOOKED forever on the Victory class loco! My second ever bit of “muddelling” as a teenager was trying to make my sh*tty Hornby J83 (?) look something like the Victory … notwithstanding a lack of outside cylinders! Thankfully, no photographic record exists of the resulting horror of plasticard-based botchery to scar anybody else with, and with the arrival of a beautiful nay exquisite RTR model there is no longer a need for me to revisit past crime scenes.

Sadly, no progress with my Jouefstein this weekend to report, what with the King getting crowned and all that jazz!

Steve S

PS

As this will be a Jouef model with a Drewery style cab, perhaps a more appropriate name might be Drouefstein? (See what I did there?! 😆)

Edited by SteveyDee68
More appropriate name for my most recent botching
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

And that there article was the one which got me HOOKED forever on the Victory class loco! My second ever bit of “muddelling” as a teenager was trying to make my sh*tty Hornby J83 (?) look something like the Victory … notwithstanding a lack of outside cylinders! Thankfully, no photographic record exists of the resulting horror of plasticard-based botchery to scar anybody else with, and with the arrival of a beautiful nay exquisite RTR model there is no longer a need for me to revisit past crime scenes.

Sadly, no progress with my Jouefstein this weekend to report, what with the King getting crowned and all that jazz!

Steve S

Jouefstein? Jouefstein? Tell us more....

• Funny 1

Stop it! You're tempting me to jump ahead about six jobs to creating a Mainlinestein MSWJR 0-6-0 from a J72....

MuststayfocusedMuststayfocusedMuststayfocused....

Edited by MrWolf
Stupid autocorrect
  • Like 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Just one page back … and given the direction it will head looks wise I think maybe the title Drouefstein might be more appropriate?! 

HOURS OF FUN!

"You must make an LMS Class 12, you must make an LMS Class 12, you must make an LMS Class 12....."

Early Tri-ang "08" body etc?  

😜

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

On 08/05/2023 at 09:08, NZRedBaron said:

Speaking of which, when did Hornby gear down their "Pocket Rockets"? I'll want that for nabbing a model or two.

Yes, they did. I was running one on our club layout last week and was pleasantly surprised how slowly it ran compared to the one I was given for my 5th birthday!

I know the change was made after production shifted to China, but not quite sure when. Unfortunately it's impossible to tell just from looking at a secondhand example which chassis it has.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Dunsignalling said:

I'm not sure if the gearing changed,  they might just have fitted a lower-revving motor!

Apparently Ukraine is hoovering up old Smokey Joe chassis and using them to knock Putin's hypersonic missiles out of the sky....

• Like 1
  • Funny 11

2 hours ago, RJS1977 said:

Yes, they did. I was running one on our club layout last week and was pleasantly surprised how slowly it ran compared to the one I was given for my 5th birthday!

I know the change was made after production shifted to China, but not quite sure when. Unfortunately it's impossible to tell just from looking at a secondhand example which chassis it has.

A very basic way of doing it.

If you can work out what R number they have then ones with three digits are the old "Pocket Rocket" ones and ones with four are recent. With ones beginning with 2 being older than 3 by about five to ten years.

Ones with five digits are brand new.

And if you find a Pug or Smokey Joe with handrails it's the original version and worth buying anyway if the body is in good condition. The later ones didn't have the wire handrails for health and safety reasons.

Jason

• Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

A very basic way of doing it.

If you can work out what R number they have then ones with three digits are the old "Pocket Rocket" ones and ones with four are recent. With ones beginning with 2 being older than 3 by about five to ten years.

Ones with five digits are brand new.

And if you find a Pug or Smokey Joe with handrails it's the original version and worth buying anyway if the body is in good condition. The later ones didn't have the wire handrails for health and safety reasons.

Jason

AIUI, the change occurred during the R.2xxx sequence, so sticking to R.3xxx and later will be prudent.

However, a surprising number on the S/H market turn out to have the old hot-rod chassis under newer bodies so some of us have clearly been disposing of our leftovers!

John

• Informative/Useful 4

Hi all,

I am amazed and delighted how long this topic has survived. It has given me so much inspiration especially during Covid to do things that I thought I never could. My favourite Pugbash i did is this little 0-4-0 tank. Nothing really specially, But I feel it is kind of charming in broken down way. Keep the good work coming.

DSC_1059.JPG

DSC_1058.JPG

DSC_1057.JPG

DSC_1056.JPG

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 7

I had one of these in the early 80's - an original Caledonian Railway example with handrails. It was capable of extreme speed (I believe it shared the motor with Scalextric cars) but I recall it was very smooth running and perfectly OK for shunting. Bits of it survive to this day, as previously described in this thread:

Photo6-Copy.jpg.1f6425f165ebe3db86491522a791b1b1.jpg

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I’m tempted to say “It lives … it lives!!” in keeping with the nickname Jouefstein, but really all that has happened is that I have got some bits of the Dapol kit for the Drewery 04 shunter cab and placed them on the running plate to see what I might see…

IMG_3333.jpeg.ee2c8ff30a2d52ebd4e407b8511841b5.jpeg

Quite by coincidence, the cab is exactly the right width over the plastic moulding that joins front and rear bonnets together! Of course, the bonnets themselves are far wider and taller than on the 04, so a new cab front and rear will need to be fashioned from scratch, with appropriately sized/shaped windows.

I shall have to have a think about whether to cut out the “joining block” in the cab so it is below cab window level - it does provide a lot of strength along the body moulding, so maybe I would be better to paint it matt black and hope the glazing covers it?

Steps from the Drewery kit will be fitted below the doors on each side. I am wondering about whether the bonnet end from the kit might be replicated or even grafted onto/into the base model… hmmmm 🤔

HOURS OF FUN!

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

On 05/05/2023 at 08:29, Moxy said:

RT Models do a range of industrial buffers.

https://www.rtmodels.co.uk/rt_models_023.htm

Thanks to @Moxy's response, I've ordered a selection of industrial loco buffers to offer up to my Jouefstein in due course. A big thanks for the information - I'd previously spent a lot of time fruitlessly peering at websites and getting nowhere!

HOURS OF FUN!

• Like 5

17 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

IMG_3333.jpeg.ee2c8ff30a2d52ebd4e407b8511841b5.jpeg

Might I suggest turning the cab the other way round to give space for the control desk at the engine end and the doors at the fuel tank end?

• Informative/Useful 1