Show us your Pugbashes, Nellieboshes, Desmondifications, Jintysteins

Corbs

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 009 micro modeller said:

How specific are you going to be about what locos people can use as a base model?

Quite specific, I'll add now to save people hassle later on that this first round is just the Caley pug UNLESS you are only using the chassis in which case you can use the Holden 0-4-0T chassis as it's widely available

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I should also add that to keep it fair (so everyone has the same amount of time) the build will need to be started and completed within the time of the competition, so I would not be able to enter my Avonside-esque 'Perseus' as I built it several years ago.

I know the wait might be frustrating but please bear with us as I really want to get it right.

• Like 7

Unfortunately I probably won't have much time in early 2022, due to revision and (hopefully) returning to university for Hillary. I've also burned through all of my pugbashing supplies over the last few weeks.

image.png.8fd9c2413acbd21bfebb2c1ccb476a65.png

All of these have been seen before, in some form, on this thread. The 0-6-0ST is described on the previous page, and I don't think I've done much to it since. The 0-4-0T with the comically large boiler was previously seen several months ago as an 0-4-0PT. I took it to uni with me last term, but decided I really didn't like the workmanship on the scratchbuilt panniers. Since they were a pain in the rear end to build, I decided to rebuild it with side tanks (very big, but they need to hide the lower part of the boiler along its whole length. Parts are a Caley running plate, GWR cab, Dowlais firebox and smokebox, lip balm tube/lid thing boiler, and plasicard side tanks.

The other one could be called both a pugbash and a jintystein, but it stretches both definitions. It is, of course, a modified Dapol City. It sits on the chassis shown briefly on the previous page: a cut down Hornby Percy's frames, with the motor from a Hornby 0-6-0 (Thomas, I believe) and the wheels, axles, and gears from an old (I think 1970s) Hornby Flying Scotsman. The rear coupling comes from a Hornby 0-6-0 (no idea whether its the same one as the motor though). And where are the Jinty parts I promised? Well, as well as the components from Thomas (which used the same chassis as the modern day Hornby Jinty), I have used Triang Jinty wheels - not as wheels (because I don't have the means to grind down the flanges) but as ballast in the tender. At around 5g each they are a good way of getting a few extra grammes of mass, with a fairly low opportunity cost.

• Like 5

Hi Corbs,

This was going to be my entry. But from what you have said as it is already built it will not be eligible. So unfortunately as I already have too many irons in the fire. I do not think I will have time. So I wish every one taking part the greatest of luck. And I look forwards to seeing all your hard work.

DSC_1056.JPG

DSC_1058.JPG

DSC_1057.JPG

DSC_1059.JPG

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Corbs said:

Yes, for example Ted Polet's 009 loco would be considered a Pugbash. :) 

pict2065.jpg

That’s good. I might have a go in 009, since I should have some Kato Tram chassis knocking about and I’ve already got an 009 tram loco on a Kato chassis bashed from an Airfix pug, so any new loco based on the Caley pug would go nicely with that. It also looks as though it’ll be easier and cheaper for me to source a body or non-runner from EBay or my local model shop than a complete loco.

Edit: 09 would also work as a body-only option, as would 00 standard gauge but with a new chassis.

Edited by 009 micro modeller
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 21/12/2021 at 16:19, Corbs said:

In the new year. I have managed to get some prizes but not had time to do the other bits.

Can you give us a guide as to what the donor will need to be so I can hunt one up

Opps just read the rest of the thread....

Pug now on it's way, warming up the pen, paper and Xacto saw ready for the starters whistle...

Edited by John Besley
Correction
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, TurboSnail said:

Wait for the influx of ex-Christmas set ones in the new year!

I understand that newer ones are much more controllable at modest velocities, so it's probably worth paying a bit more if you are going to use it after conversion.

Does anybody know the R number where the change came in?

John

• Like 1