Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Unusual Layout Names

I have been laying track on the new club project which is called The Scottish Layout, on the basis that is is set in Scotland and we can't agree on what to call it. I suspect that it will make its exhibition debut next year (probably at Trainwest 2018) still known as The Scottish Layout.

Geoff Endacott

(P.S. It is not going to be called Loch Ayethenoo.)

What's the Gaelic translation for "The Scottish Layout" ??

Our Layout of many locations on the whole goes by the name of "Scrachy Bottom" a real place in Dorset cost. I was given a book of rude place names full of great names with to quote Peter Kay "a bit of blue for the dads."

Marc

• RMweb Premium

I have been laying track on the new club project which is called The Scottish Layout, on the basis that is is set in Scotland and we can't agree on what to call it. I suspect that it will make its exhibition debut next year (probably at Trainwest 2018) still known as The Scottish Layout.

Geoff Endacott

(P.S. It is not going to be called Loch Ayethenoo.)

I sometimes think that a good name for a non-existent Scottish town would be Inveracity.

The station will be called "Macbeth" presumably?

With a terminal station, based on a prototype location, called "Macduff".

I've got a working model bus layout based on a Lancashire town in the 1960s called "Worktown" the name of which was taken from a book written in the 1930s. It was a "mass observation" done by students researching a large Lancashire town's working life in the mills and factories and pubs and named in a way they hoped would be ambiguous enough to preserve the anonymity of it.

I suppose it could have been any of the towns north of Manchester but the pictures they took  and published in the book were clearly of Bolton, my home town at the time I read the book in the 1980s.

JF

My last layout was based on the Black Canyon in Colorado in the 1940s - somewhere which is now underwater due to a new dam being built.

My layout featured full sound including 'echo' on the whistles

Hence the name ' Echoes of the Black Canyon'

The station will be called "Macbeth" presumably?

Though operation may be hindered if the operators don't use the station name lest it's bad luck!

Cameo of cauldron and three witches on the platform would probably be one for the "rarely modelled category!"

I had one called Heavy Traffic. It was a modern industrial park and named after a Status Quo album.

I know have. German version called Starker Verkher which is the same thing!

steve

• RMweb Gold

I do remember a layout on the Scottish Circuit called Kyle of Minogue. It was at Model Rail Scotland but I think the owner and name has changed

Don't forget East Clintwood.

Archived