Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Unusual Layout Names

Real names:

Bridge Street Bridge

Bedlam

Gotham (City?)

Near Gotham I have just spotted Snell's Nook Halt

Wyre Piddle

With names like these who needs to make them up>

Jonathan

Wyre Piddle has a most splendidly shaped lock on the Lower Avon Navigation.

• RMweb Premium

We were discussing names for the club layout last Thursday. Something short as the idea is to incorporate it in a flowerbed as white stones. And something not too regional. The present name is that if the farm where the clubroom sits, which is most definitely too specific. A suggestions was "There" as in are we there yet? but from that how about "Here"? We debated four letter names buit couldn't come up with many which were not real places.

Jonathan

After doing a project on anatomy, I started to build a list for a quiz, "geography or anatomy?":

Islets of Langerhans
Pratt's Bottom
Vidian Canal
Lingmell Scars
Hole of Horcum
Tract of Burdach
Brown Tongue
Iliac Crest
Crypts of Lieberkühn

and that lesser-known abandoned London Transport project, the Eustachian Tube.

After doing a project on anatomy, I started to build a list for a quiz, "geography or anatomy?":

Islets of Langerhans
Pratt's Bottom
Vidian Canal
Lingmell Scars
Hole of Horcum
Tract of Burdach
Brown Tongue
Iliac Crest
Crypts of Lieberkühn

and that lesser-known abandoned London Transport project, the Eustachian Tube.

What about a spur of the Somerset and Dorset to Dead Woman's Bottom...

https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/getoutside/local/dead-womans-bottom-mendip

• RMweb Gold

These are all based on just place names though rather than something that evokes the idea rather than tells you exactly where ;)

'Gresley Beat' has to be the East Coast mainline.

'Shades of the Harz' the dark forests and a play on the common phrase.

'First Sunday in June' the summer day . .

'Holiday Haunts' another evocative name from Mr H ;)

One source might be old advertising slogans ;)

If you are going S&DJR then the hamlet or "Happy Bottom" near Corfe Mullen or one just of the Furness' line from Barrow to Askam "Cockin Tunnel" it was a small road tunnel under the railway and the steel works railway and slag bank.

Marc

I intend, one day, to build a layout based on the American Great Northern and name it "Rice, Montana", because Jerry Rice is the Greatest of all Time, and Joe Montana was pretty good himself. Both played for my NFL team during their 1980s dynasty - Montana to Rice is one of the most frequent TD completions in NFL history.

The name came first, and was basically the only reason I purchased a bunch of GN boxcars and a nice Orange & Green Alco RS-3.

• RMweb Gold

Wyre Piddle has a most splendidly shaped lock on the Lower Avon Navigation.

Slightly off topic, but Mrs. Gravitas and I were married in Wyre Piddle church.

Slightly back on topic, as well as Wyre Piddle, there is Upper Piddle, Lower Piddle; and there used to be Piddle in the Hole, which was rather disappointingly renamed Peopleton.

• 3 weeks later...

That was the site of a road protest camp in the late 90s, giving rise to the headline in a now defunct publication, "POLICE ENTER DEAD WOMAN'S BOTTOM".

I was all set to call this out as a nice story but of doubtful veracity, but the road camp bit at least turns out to be true, eg: http://www.wussu.com/roads/r98/r9803091.htm!

(I'm not particularly impressed by the attitude displayed by writer of that piece, though.  "I've not had much experience of the police before, other than going through the breathalysed & banned routine many years ago".  Yeah, that's just a routine thing that everyone has to do, isn't it...)

How about 'Strong Country'?

Or the Lincolnshire seaside resort of 'Bracing'!

"So Bracing", surely?  Well, if Devon can have "Westward Ho!"...

(I've now got this idea in my head of the deep-voiced guy who does all voiceovers for action movie trailers saying "Skegness is,,,So Bracing".)

• RMweb Premium

It is quite difficult to find ways of pinning a place name to a locality, but places names ending in "by" are one way (east of England) , and for East Anglia the form "Place St Saint" is pretty flexible - though you probably need a large wool church on the backscene. So Hornby St Andrew perhaps, to honour our host?

Of course any place name starting  "Llan" is obviously in Wales or the Marches, but I really like the layout called Llanastr - a nice play on words.

Jonathan

I always liked the East London canal interchange entitled "Bow Locks".

There was a Scottish layout "Kyle of Minogue" doing the rounds about 20 or 30 years back I think.

Who can also forget "Pengwynn Crossing", the Cornish china clay layout with the Telecom DMU, and model penguins on a bridge instead of the usual bus?

• RMweb Premium

I was all set to call this out as a nice story but of doubtful veracity, but the road camp bit at least turns out to be true, eg: http://www.wussu.com/roads/r98/r9803091.htm!

(I'm not particularly impressed by the attitude displayed by writer of that piece, though.  "I've not had much experience of the police before, other than going through the breathalysed & banned routine many years ago".  Yeah, that's just a routine thing that everyone has to do, isn't it...)

"So Bracing", surely?  Well, if Devon can have "Westward Ho!"...

(I've now got this idea in my head of the deep-voiced guy who does all voiceovers for action movie trailers saying "Skegness is,,,So Bracing".)

The article, available online here http://www.wussu.com/roads/r98/r9801231.htm was in this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SchNEWS . Mrs mole lived near Frome in those days and knew some of the people involved.

• RMweb Gold

I had one called Heavy Traffic. It was a modern industrial park and named after a Status Quo album.

I know have. German version called Starker Verkher which is the same thing!

steve

On same Quo inspired namings - Deeperham Down always sounds like it would be a good name for a Southern region based layout.

I remember once driving down Nanny Goat Lane (can't recall if it's in Staffs or Norfolk though) and thought what a fun name it would be for a simple, plain track open countryside layout with a mechanical signal box, a level crossing with working gates, semaphores and some nice mid-Summer scenery, with the sound effects of sheep, cows, birds and the odd aircraft and a nice mellow yellow LED lighting rig.  "Nanny Goat Lane Crossing" would allow quite a wide range of eras to be represented from 1930s steam to 1970s diesel subject to the colour of any cows being correct for period.  Operationally a bit simple but immensely relaxing.

• RMweb Gold

I remember once driving down Nanny Goat Lane (can't recall if it's in Staffs or Norfolk though) and thought what a fun name it would be for a simple, plain track open countryside layout with a mechanical signal box, a level crossing with working gates, semaphores and some nice mid-Summer scenery, with the sound effects of sheep, cows, birds and the odd aircraft and a nice mellow yellow LED lighting rig.  "Nanny Goat Lane Crossing" would allow quite a wide range of eras to be represented from 1930s steam to 1970s diesel subject to the colour of any cows being correct for period.  Operationally a bit simple but immensely relaxing.

There is a Bumble Bee Lane just south of Leicester where the Fosse Way & A5 meet. Ideal name for a shunting puzzle layout with wasp striped livery locos.

• RMweb Premium

Though operation may be hindered if the operators don't use the station name lest it's bad luck!

Cameo of cauldron and three witches on the platform would probably be one for the "rarely modelled category!"

Hi again,

Three .... a cauldron - for a moment I thought you were talking of a party leaders meeting at Holyrood!

Regards (and soon to be exiled for that last comment),

Alex.

• RMweb Premium

Why not build a short line connecting the two?

- You could call it 'Insearchofthefourth Chord'...

Status Quo AND a fourth chord - that's just ridiculous!

(Privileged to have seen Quo live on a few occasions and venues over the years.  Great entertainers who were respectful and grateful to their fans.)

Archived