RMweb

Little Muddle

KNP

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, KNP said:

Sitting, minding her own business, 2776 open cab Pannier sits in the afternoon sun.

Waiting for her crew to turn up……unfortunately the wait will be a while as I have run out of crew so have some on order….

So, at the moment just waiting

IMG_8637.jpeg.b6d3ab01bf7cb82a216055c3abb074b0.jpeg

IMG_8638.jpeg.acf5b51b7c17aaea2eea6660c12963f6.jpeg

A splendid makeover !

Those brake rods make a huge difference - I’ve just looked up the instruction sheet and see they could fit a Bachmann chassis too.

Edited by Limpley Stoker
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Limpley Stoker said:

A splendid makeover !

Those brake rods make a huge difference - I’ve just looked up the instruction sheet and see they could fit a Bachmann chassis too.

I think there is an article in the GW Modelling website on this very subject and there is some work involved to get the two to fit together.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, Kevin Johnson said:

Hi Kevin the 2776 pannier tank looks great.👍

Agreed. Please could you do some adjacent 'before & after' pics @KNP?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, KNP said:

Sitting, minding her own business, 2776 open cab Pannier sits in the afternoon sun.

Waiting for her crew to turn up……

Bert: "Well I'm not taking that thing, no cab...what if it rains?"

KNP: "It doesn't rain in Little Muddle"

Bert: "Well you can find someone else to drive it because I aint!"

• Funny 7

• RMweb Gold

19 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

I wonder if @The Johnster has seen your rather nice 2776. In the absence of new 2721 Class RTR tooling he may be interested in your makeover.

He has now, nice engine, Kevin.  Mine was eventually taken out of service because, despite a good bit of working up and Bachmann 57xx underpinnings, there were too many things that bothered me about the loco.  I gave up fairly quickly on the generic Hornby chassis, which I improved considerably but never gave me the slow running I wanted and refused to start smoothly.  Other workups were the boiler top furniture, lamp brackets, cast whitemetal buffers, a proper smokebox dart, spectacle plate glazing, real coal, and a Modelu crew.  

But the Bachmann chassis required a hole for the worm gear at the firehole door, meaning it protruded into the cab a bit.  The Crew huddled around it hid it reasonably well, but I know it was there…  The Baccy chassis’ wheels were not in line with the Hornby splashers, positioned for the incorrect jintygeneric Hornby axle spacing, and my prototype, 2761 wd TDU 31/03/50, had fluted coupling rods.  A photo of this loco at Swindon later that year shows it in 1942-5 austerity black livery, an easy paint job, but with the distinctive ‘Grotesque’ lettering applied by Caerphilly works during that period, which I failed to source anywhere.   I never got around to sorting the cab roof, though I did make a canvas weather sheet for her. 

The deciding factor was the overlong bunker hanging off the back, though, and the chassis went back under it’s donor 57xx, which in the meantime I’d removed the topfeed and plumbing from. 

DSC_0007.jpeg.77321e05e995bf2f10554b6411f99ae2.jpeg

IMG_0991.jpeg.7f4943b6ce2b267cd7624183f1badd08.jpeg

Top photo she still has the Hornby chassis, bottom more recent with Baccychas and ragtop, very sporty.  The Baccy chassis is much better on this loco despite the fishbelly rods ( some 2721s had these, but not 2761), brake rod detail and a superb runner, and the misalignment with the wheels is not apparent except in a broadside on view.  The zoom shot emphasises the bunker droop.  Per. Way have still not tidied the sleeper.  2761 is facing the wrong way, South Wales convention was to work smokebox-first up the valley and bunker-first downhill, but the halfcab has been pinched from yard pilot duty at Ogmore Jc for a pickup job to Cwmdimbath.  She must have been pretty rough at the end, but a passed fireman/passed cleaner crew are delighted to take her out for a spin, inclement weather notwithstanding.  

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Do I spy activity where the door used to be suggesting something is about to happen, while another “workman” adopts a traditional pose while holding the second door in place?

Edited by Dragonboy
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Kevin Johnson said:

Lovely shot of the 2776 idling outside the engine shed Kevin.

Idling sums up Little Muddle - so 2776 fits in well especially without a motor! 
I don’t think the chap staring at his runner beans has noticed the new arrival yet.

• Like 2

Like the Snows of Kilimanjaro, the Bridges of Madison County, there is a story in the Doors of Little Muddle (Engine Shed)... 

Cue the rock-n-roll sound of The Doors....

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Kevin's Park is melting in the dark
All the sweet, green static grass flowing down
Someone left the door out in the rain
I don't think that it can take it
Cause it took so long to make it
And he'll never hang that door again
Oh no!

• Round of applause 11

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Gedward said:

Kevin's Park is melting in the dark
All the sweet, green static grass flowing down
Someone left the door out in the rain
I don't think that it can take it
Cause it took so long to make it
And he'll never hang that door again
Oh no!

I knew a girl whose surname was McArthur - and who worked at Northwick PARK hospital! 

• Round of applause 4

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, KNP said:

You lucky people...

By a pure fluke of the timetable we have ended up with all the Panniers in the yard at LM at the same time!

What luck and coincidence?

5756.jpg.e76d2e44656495e51db8c4a079d25c8c.jpg

We have

7768     - on shed

2776     - at coal staithes

7750     - water siding

8752     - siding and about to set off

8701     - auto train

@2ManySpams will be so excited he may well be sick !!!

What a day ! 

Rob

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 4
  • Funny 10