Little Muddle

KNP

There are no words to describe the standard of all round model making we are seeing here

Sublime is a just not enough. Imperious might get close.

Keep going Sir. More please

Steve

Yep, it's very impressive, and well observed.

G

• RMweb Gold

The planks are painted business cards.

For years I have tried to find away to represent weathered wood and then I had one of those lightbulb moments....

It is a four coat treatment but it works.

It works incredibly well. Obviously the cutting of them in the way that real planks would break is a major facet of the realism, but the surface of the weathered wood is superb. Can you tell more of your "four coat treatment" or if I've missed it somewhere earlier please let me know and I'll look back. Of course, if it's a trade secret then I'll not push...

An over view of the CBC model showing the barn

Since I took this picture ivy has sprouted out, not too much but enough....

post-8925-0-64357800-1530113764_thumb.jpg

I feel another small tree is needed in front of the barn?

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

How about this?

attachicon.gifBN7.jpg

Nearly finished derelict barn that will appear eventually on this layout but is about to appear centre stage on the third CBC - Not Another One......

May this be a lesson to you, not to skimp on the underframes of your models :laugh:

seriously - splendid modelling and much more difficult to achieve than a 'proper' building

Todays unexpected day off work, to account for Mrs MBs unplanned visit to the doctors, did have a silver lining.

On top of the neatly stacked pile of old magasines, was a January 18 BRM. In which was featured a how to - point

rodding, and a small piece on long walk home.

Thanks Kevin for again brightening my day, in a most unforseen location!

ps. bet you all wish you had our doctors.

• Like 1

I thought I would pass on a tip that I was shown many years ago and is an important part of taking pictures of models.

Reflective lighting was what it was refered as, to me, and that is a way of lighting shaded areas without having to rely on lighting rigs etc.

Using this picture as an example

post-8925-0-41830300-1530307117_thumb.jpg

After taking this picture I noticed on review that there was a lot of shadow especially to the front of the ventilated goods van.

So using by trusted reflecting board it turn out like this.

post-8925-0-62820300-1530307130_thumb.jpg

Much better, still areas of shadow that I was after, but now not so overpowering.

If you look you can other areas as well like to the RH side of the tree trunk, fence posts etc.

How did I do that, a 12" cake board.

Next picture shows the set up on the dining room table catching the afternoon sunlight

post-8925-0-43757000-1530307141_thumb.jpg

The board is just angled and moved around to catch the light coming in through the window and then adjusted to illuminate the areas I needed.

Very cheap and simple way to get lighting to areas that are in shadow.

Give it a try and you will be surprised at the results.

If you don't have a cake board then a bit of crumbled, then flatten bit of tin foil on a place mat or something will give the same results

Edited by KNP
  • Like 5

Need your help guys...

GWR gave each station a location number but I can't find a listings anywhere, can you point me in the right direction.

I want to give both Encombe Town and Little Muddle a fictitious one but don't want to give them one that was already allocated.

I have added the company name to the side of the wagon by making my own transfers.

post-8925-0-81489800-1530785626_thumb.jpg

Just need to finish it now like the one I saw at Steam

post-8925-0-32767100-1530785759.jpg

Thanks

• Like 8

Need your help guys...

GWR gave each station a location number but I can't find a listings anywhere, can you point me in the right direction.

I want to give both Encombe Town and Little Muddle a fictitious one but don't want to give them one that was already allocated.

I have added the company name to the side of the wagon by making my own transfers.

attachicon.gifIMG_0284.JPG

Just need to finish it now like the one I saw at Steam

attachicon.gifSide view.jpg

Thanks

How about some pics of YOUR MODEL as well Kevin. :no:  :no:

Brilliant mate.

Hope they where pigeons in the West Country as I have one already in the back yard of the pub?

Agree about the chimney so the boiler house, if it goes in, will be the other side of the site.

There's also a chicken run in the back garden of next doors butcher shop.........

Hi Kevin

I am planning a railway that will be set around 1919 and one of the things that came to me was - what style rubbish bins were used back then? So this curious hobby of ours sent me off with my pal Mr Google researching the history of the British domestic rubbish bin and I discovered that prior to the introduction of mass packaging in the 1960s there was such thing. Prior to the packaging revolution people generally didn't have bins - scrap food went out for the pig or dog or cat, waste paper and cardboard was all used to start fires and anything else went on the garden bonfire. There really wasn't any other kind of domestic rubbish. Of course privies had to be emptied by the night dust men but generally speaking the aluminium corrugated-sided dustbin wasn't introduced until well after WWII.

Domestic waste was collected by councils but what there was was probably in cardboard boxes or sacks.

Hi Kevin

I am planning a railway that will be set around 1919 and one of the things that came to me was - what style rubbish bins were used back then? So this curious hobby of ours sent me off with my pal Mr Google researching the history of the British domestic rubbish bin and I discovered that prior to the introduction of mass packaging in the 1960s there was such thing. Prior to the packaging revolution people generally didn't have bins - scrap food went out for the pig or dog or cat, waste paper and cardboard was all used to start fires and anything else went on the garden bonfire. There really wasn't any other kind of domestic rubbish. Of course privies had to be emptied by the night dust men but generally speaking the aluminium corrugated-sided dustbin wasn't introduced until well after WWII.

Domestic waste was collected by councils but what there was was probably in cardboard boxes or sacks.

In 1950s Edinburgh we all had coal fires and there was a separate ash pail a bit like this image and a slightly larger pail with a lid for rubbish which could not be burnt on the fire. I think both bins were put out on the same day. Where we live now in the Northern Highlands, dry stone walls often have broken glass, china, scrap metal,etc buried in the core, and in the old days before rubbish was collected there would be a ‘midden’ (rubbish heap) of organic waste which would eventually rot down.

post-33019-0-90999600-1530814521.jpeg

The ‘scaffie’ lorry was like this one in Dundee 1955, where there are early galvanised rubbish bins at the kerbside.

post-33019-0-47194300-1530815071.jpeg

Edited by Marly51
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Our fire was banked overnight with wrapped veg peelings and small coal as well, but we only bothered in very severe cold weather (this was in semi tropical, as compared to Edinburgh I mean, South Wales), otherwise the fire was allowed to die out and a new one laid in the morning; I know because from about age 10 cleaning the grate and laying the new fire was my job.  It would be many years before I was considered capable of lighting it...

Rubbish was either burned on the fire, which took most of the paper, packing (this is pre-plastic), ciggie packets and cardboard boxes.  Food leftovers were destined for the compost bin, but tea leaves were kept separate and used by mother to feed houseplants (she was pretty good at houseplants) and the flower beds in the garden.  Ash from the fire went in to the ash bin, which was emptied by the rubbish collectors weekly, but some would be diverted to gardening.  The rest, which to be honest wasn't that much, went into the rubbish bin, but anything metallic went to the rag'n'bone man to be weighed in.  Tins had to be crushed before disposal, a very satisfying job for anyone in a bad mood who needed to take aggression out on something as we didn't have a cat to kick.

• Like 3

Marly51 - really useful info! How big was that pail with the handle - was it modern bin size - or smaller - like a fire bucket?

I'm always pleasantly surprised what directions research for our hobby takes us in.

Marly51 - really useful info! How big was that pail with the handle - was it modern bin size - or smaller - like a fire bucket?

I'm always pleasantly surprised what directions research for our hobby takes us in.

Hi Martin,

It was about the same size as a fire bucket or domestic enamel pail (used for scrubbing floors), but with straight sides. Ours was quite plain, heavy duty metal and the lid wasn't crimped like the image above. The other household bin was larger but smaller than the standard galvanised bin that is available as a scale model today. I wonder if there are old advertisements with line drawings of hardware items like these? Good luck with your research!

Marlyn

Hi Kevin

I am planning a railway that will be set around 1919 and one of the things that came to me was - what style rubbish bins were used back then?.............................

When I was a child in Southport, Lancashire, in the 1950s, the Council used the 'Pagefield system'.  A horse drew a rubbish cart around the streets.  We had a galvanised iron bin of the type shown in Marly51's photos.  When the cart was full, it was exchanged for an empty one, brought by a lorry that then took the full one to the local rubbish tip.

post-19820-0-97674300-1530882875.jpg

The lorries were slightly more modern than as shown in the photo but the principle was the same.  I expect the horse-drawn cart was typical of earlier times.

• Like 1

Regarding the number on the side of the horse drawn wagon it has been pointed out to me by my 'learned' friend from 'oop norff' that this might be a pre 1932 telephone number which was only four digits for the Bristol area.

I do believe he might be right so I will now concoct something.

Regarding previous posts how did we end up chatting about dustbins in such depth...….so taking all the comments to heart I think I will remove the galvanised steel ones I have on Little Muddle and replace them with coal bins - safer!!!!

I agree with one of the posts on how with this hobby we end up researching all sorts of things - for example I spent ages looking at colours for horses and then the type/arrangement for the reins/harness???