Little Muddle

KNP

superb stuff.

For those interested in avoiding unnecessary US imports (so topical), in place of sagebrush armatures, pieces from an aging English Lavender look remarkably similar. By careful selection, pieces suitable for small to very large trees can be obtained and of course they are free. This is a sample from my stock, sorry, not the best photo but I regularly find off-cuts looking very similar to your first photo.

Colin

attachicon.gifCWs post-26975-0-42737100-1480639214.jpg

Very realistic, I will look out for some myself as I am running out of sagebrush armatures and they are indeed expensive to obtain now.

One thing I do, not sure if you do either and that is to put them in the microwave for 60secs to ensure all bugs etc are neutralised.

Edited by KNP

A great pity that it wasn't used as it is an excellent example of what a part empty tender coal space can look like (in the days when large coal was available).

It was meant to be but they did use the colour version instead.

Originally this was to be 'ghosted' in the background with text over...

Very realistic, I will look out for some myself as I am running out of sagebrush armatures and they are indeed expensive to obtain now.

One thing I do, not sure if you do either and that is to put them in the microwave for 60secs to ensure all bugs etc are neutralised.

Hi Kevin,

Interesting and good idea the microwave! Usually sitting in the Aussie sun to air dry them for a few days is good enough but was just having a tidy thru my stock yesterday when I saw a lot of powder in the tub so that was probably a borer in the stem.

That's a job for when SWMBO is away and with her sense of smell I mightn't get away with using the microwave. Perhaps the BBQ is safer :sungum:

Colin

Edited by BWsTrains

I like the shoe and boot works, and I need to confess that this is the first time I've ever seen loco handrail knobs fixed into brickwork!

Always think outside the box is my motto, most things have a use other that what they where originally intended for.....

for example the boiler house chimney is the barrel from a felt tip pen!

Perhaps this should go into 'Teenage Confessions' in Musings and Miscellany, but my loft layout from those days featured dustbins in the form of (I think) .303 rifle cartridge cases from a bloke who was in the Cadets. I'd have preferred if they'd had a bit of taper, but they'd have probably been useless for firing

bullets from in that case...

I think the cartridges in question were probable .22 as most army and ATC weapons used the lighter caliber and they were not waisted like the .303 round. As a cadet the only time I fired a .303 rifle was on summer camp.

Sorry I've gone off topic again

Steve

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Continuation of an infrequent set of pictures of the buildings of Little Muddle.

This is of the shoe and boot factory which to date was the most enyoyable and rewarding model I have built.

The reason for the curved back is that it fits against the start of the curve for the backscene - that was difficult to work out!

attachicon.gifBF1.jpg

attachicon.gifBF2.jpg

attachicon.gifBF3.jpg

attachicon.gifBF4.jpg

Still a few things to finish, sometimes if an idea of what I want to do doesn't come straight to mind I will park it for a while until something does.

Now for some close up's which really do all the design work justice...in my eyes of course!

attachicon.gifBF5.jpg

attachicon.gifBF6.jpg

attachicon.gifBF7.jpg

attachicon.gifBF8.jpg

attachicon.gifBF9.jpg

Brick papers used throughout on 1.5mm greyboard.

Roof - Wills slate on main building and card ones on boilerhouse and stables.

Windows and Doors - mostly LCut, or what I had in the scrap box or homemade.

Nice lamp, what the source please?

Kevin

Nice lamp, what the source please?

Kevin

Thanks

The lamp is a hybrid.

The twisted post is an old Chris Leigh model

Lamp, glazing and lid - Modelscene

Lid finial - bead and end of a cocktail stick.

• RMweb Premium

Need your help guys...

GWR gave each station a location number but I can't find a listings anywhere, can you point me in the right direction.

I want to give both Encombe Town and Little Muddle a fictitious one but don't want to give them one that was already allocated.

I have added the company name to the side of the wagon by making my own transfers.

attachicon.gifIMG_0284.JPG

Just need to finish it now like the one I saw at Steam

attachicon.gifSide view.jpg

Thanks

Regarding the number on the side of the horse drawn wagon it has been pointed out to me by my 'learned' friend from 'oop norff' that this might be a pre 1932 telephone number which was only four digits for the Bristol area.

I do believe he might be right so I will now concoct something………

Whilst perusing some GWR Working Timetables (as you do) on:

http://www.michaelclemensrailways.co.uk/?atk=625

I noticed that on the first table in every sub section, the Station number was included, some examples:

Paddington: 1 (unsurprisingly)

Reading: 82

Didcot: 101

Penzance: 2096 (so your friend might be right about that phone number)

Cardiff: 2703

Fishguard Harbour: 3806

Shrewsbury: 5527

Bewdley: 6129 (the highest numbered I’ve seen but;)

Unfortunately the website only has examples of 8 out of 15 sections so still no closer to a definitive list of stations numbers. Perhaps an enquiry to the GWS at Didcot or STEAM at Swindon may come up trumps.

Hope this helps in some way.

Edited by Banger Blue

• RMweb Gold

Whilst perusing some GWR Working Timetables (as you do) on:

http://www.michaelclemensrailways.co.uk/?atk=625

I noticed that on the first table in every sub section, the Station number was included, some examples:

Paddington: 1 (unsurprisingly)

Reading: 82

Didcot: 101

Penzance: 2096 (so your friend might be right about that phone number)

Cardiff: 2703

Fishguard Harbour: 3806

Shrewsbury: 5527

Bewdley: 6129 (the highest numbered I’ve seen but;)

Unfortunately the website only has examples of 8 out of 15 sections so still no closer to a definitive list of stations numbers. Perhaps an enquiry to the GWS at Didcot or STEAM at Swindon may come up trumps.

Hope this helps in some way.

Ah, finally tracked down - maybe?.  I thought you were referring to a number against stations in the first station bank of each section - but there definitely aren't any such numbers there and I have never seen any on any GWR STT.  

So being more than a little puzzled I downloaded the first parts of the Section 1 STT for October 1910 and therein found what you appear to be referring to as No.s 1 and 101 make sense although 82 doesn't and the numbers are in the Station Trucks list,  see extract below -

post-6859-0-66495900-1531312082_thumb.jpg

so is this what you are talking about or is there somewhere else I should be looking?

• RMweb Gold

Mike,

Page 28 column 4 between the stations and the first train is the list I think.

Thanks to all for making me look at the STT as I have discovered lots of what would now be sectional appendix material. Box to box omnibus circuits are fascinating.

Paul.

• RMweb Premium

Mike,

Thanks to all for making me look at the STT as I have discovered lots of what would now be sectional appendix material. Box to box omnibus circuits are fascinating.

Paul.

Yep, that’s the ones I’m referring to.

Decided to do something about the joint in front of the creamery which looked like this

923.JPG.8033918fe1e9b9b85785d82b9ea185b5.JPG

so I used the joint as the grass line, painted a dirty effect on the creamery side, added some static grass which changed it to

IMG_0293.JPG.32e95d410cbfc7cb7f5e55e8d901a454.JPG

so when viewed from the front now the height of the static grass conceals it

IMG_0294.JPG.65e8288740f64e5069358d8cb3741bc0.JPG

though the yard is now smaller it doesn't seem to lesson the area.

Now to let the glue dry and then add some more detail to the grass

One of those things I should have done ages ago!!!!!

Edited by KNP
  • Like 11

That's now a very straight edge to the grass - would it be worth adding a couple of patches of grass on the edge of the dairy board to break the line up a bit?

All in hand, Stu, just added some more detail.

In this weather ordinary PVA is acting like a rapid set.....?

So I've been able to work on it quicker than normal

Edited by KNP
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Mike,

Paul.

I suspect they might be STT tabular numbers or some sort of code for STT reference.  They clearly do not apply exclusively to stations as the missing numbers indicate - e,g, 69 will be Maidehead West (signalbox), 73 is Twyford East (signalbox), 75 is Twyford West (signalbox). 79 -81 are various locations at Reading as are 83 -87, 92 would probably be Purley IB signals, 94 is an additional item at Pangbourne, and so on.  Because of what some of the numbers obviously apply to they might be a more general location number, definitely not restricted solely to stations, and I suspect more likely to be  - as I say - line numbers for STT/potential STT locations.  

It would be interesting if anybody can come up with anything more concrete than that.