Old oak common open day 2 September

Obviously a fantastic show as well as a great farewell to a great depot.

I just wonder why the organisers didn't place the prototype HST power car in the lineup seeing as it was there on site.

Maybe King, Warship, Western, fifty, prototype power car, 43002, GWR power car and IET

It is no denigration ofthe organisation though - great work !!!   

• RMweb Gold

I just wonder why the organisers didn't place the prototype HST power car in the lineup seeing as it was there on site.

Maybe King, Warship, Western, fifty, prototype power car, 43002, GWR power car and IET

It is no denigration ofthe organisation though - great work !!!   

Perhaps the owners wanted it kept away from people in order to prevent souvenir hunters getting anywhere near it.

In the grander scheme of OOC, the prototype HST doesn't really feature. Perhaps a large Prairie was a more notable omission...?

Perhaps the owners wanted it kept away from people in order to prevent souvenir hunters getting anywhere near it.

Souvenir hunters? Surely anyone trying to get near any exhibits would have been "Oi!"'d at by the self appointed Majesties- photographers.

• RMweb Gold

These are the few I've managed to compress for web use so far.

post-1107-0-85129800-1504461268_thumb.jpgpost-1107-0-15996000-1504461278_thumb.jpgpost-1107-0-25174500-1504461287_thumb.jpgpost-1107-0-88134100-1504461302_thumb.jpgpost-1107-0-45016100-1504461327_thumb.jpg

Very pleased to see Fearless - I was also very pleased to pick up the Loco's "Life and Times" published by the D400 Fund  - I got up to page Page 72 during my train ride to Telford...

post-1107-0-63206800-1504461315_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

I had a great day yesterday, loved the line up of class 50's and it's the first time I've seen a Hymek and Tornado in the flesh. I like the model as well, nearly bought a Heljan western after seeing it! I was left wondering what the depot used to look like and I'm going to find some pics on line to look at. I'd loved to have gone to an open day there back in the 70s/80's. 

post-24-0-72169300-1504464737.jpg

post-24-0-74314600-1504464743.jpg

post-24-0-24082700-1504464750.jpg

post-24-0-29714500-1504464761.jpg

post-24-0-23174000-1504464770.jpg

post-24-0-18368900-1504464781.jpg

post-24-0-39254000-1504464793_thumb.jpg

post-24-0-96337200-1504464812.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Sorry not quite

The big building, although at a different angle to the access road, is on the site of the Pullman Shed and part of the Van Sidings.  There are (open air) sidings where the turntable was.

Thats where I meant, come down the hill turn left and opposite the corner of the new building. There was the boiler house and ODM building on the road junction with the turntable behind.

The Pullman shed was on the right of the entrance slope to the loco depot as you walked down past the turntable area  ;)

In this view the Pullman Shed is the longer building of the two, the other one on the left is the carriage shed, in the foreground is part of the Coronation Sidings while the loco depot, turntable and Factory are off to the right... in the early days of the Hydraulics the Pullman Shed was also used for stabling and prepping Westerns, Warships, Hymeks and 22s, it was also used as a makeshift painting area later on when the Factory was full.

attachicon.gifYYY BRWR FB Old Oak Pullman & Carriage Shops.jpg

The Pullman shed was used to stable the Breakdown Train in the 80s, but only once it was diesel powered. Prior to that it sat outside the ammenity block in light steam, the shift crane driver tending to it.

It was used as a paint shop for GWR 150 repaints, and subsequently NSE repaints. The only time the factory was used for painting was when Royals were being prepped, or accident damage touch ups.

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Looks like it was a good day and of course the weather was kind.  Although I'm not really sorry that I missed it as like several others on here I was used to a rather different Old Oak in the days when it still had parts of the original 1906 steam shed standing but for all that I'm glad to see that the organisers put on a well thought out display that seems to have only been limited by what they could actually get hold of for the day.

And thanks folks for the pics.  

• RMweb Premium

Had I been in the country I would have gone, for one last time, but I must say attending an Open Day doesn't somehow have quite the same excitement as successfully bunking the shed. Having said that, I've taken so many photos in OC in plain view of BR staff and never been stopped, I sometimes wondered if they tolerated it as long as you were being sensible.

Probably because one of its bogies was in the pit being worked on, they are a bit of a to pull around with one bogie missing!  :angel: