Old oak common open day 2 September

• RMweb Gold

There's been a maroon full yellow end Warship at Old Oak for a couple of weeks. I assume it is D832 Onslaught.

Its D821 Greyhound Phil.....has been at Old Oak for bogie repairs, is there until after the open day then returning to the Severn Valley

Phil

Latest update: For a picture that is a bit different, the Ferris Wheel will be positioned so that you can take pictures of a line up of locos, which include 6023, 7903, D821, D1015, 50035, HST Powercar 43002, a class 180 and a class 800. https://www.facebook.com/260051724424124/photos/a.285143238581639.1073741830.260051724424124/340009686428327/?type=3&theater

• RMweb Premium

And will there be a steam worked shuttle from Paddington - not so easy now that 1A is no longer available.

Steam's been done. How about a Warship and Hymek top and tailing a Paddington shuttle. That would be a sound to behold - when was the last time either of those classes worked in or out of Padd?

• Like 1

Steam's been done. How about a Warship and Hymek top and tailing a Paddington shuttle. That would be a sound to behold - when was the last time either of those classes worked in or out of Padd?

Last Warship out of Padd was '72, last Hymek was '75.... alas none of the preserved examples of either class are mainline certified.

Edited by Rugd1022

• RMweb Gold

Are those available with main line tickets?  No use if they haven't got the necessary paperwork and it would have had to have been done whenever they received their last major overhaul.

• RMweb Premium

Quick video shot, from the office window, on my phone of the loco convoy 0Z50 Kidderminster SVR - Old Oak Common passing Reading TCD.

50049 'Defiance'

50007 'Hercules'

50044 'Exeter'

50035 'Ark Royal'

D1015 'Western Champion'

• Like 11

Quick video shot, from the office window, on my phone of the loco convoy 0Z50 Kidderminster SVR - Old Oak Common passing Reading TCD.

50049 'Defiance'

50007 'Hercules'

50044 'Exeter'

50035 'Ark Royal'

D1015 'Western Champion'

Not a bad office window you've got! Thanks for posting that.

Steve

• Like 1

Why so many the same indeed!

Quite, in fact why do we need as many as 18 in preservation at all? That's almost 40% of the class and all I can see that doing is spreading the resources required to maintain them ever thinner and taking up more of the limited space available on the private railways.

Jim

Quite, in fact why do we need as many as 18 in preservation at all? That's almost 40% of the class and all I can see that doing is spreading the resources required to maintain them ever thinner and taking up more of the limited space available on the private railways.

Jim

With locos such as Class 50, they're not in the same category as older locos, and I'm not sure the word 'preserved' is right for many of them. 'Preserved' puts one in mind of a stuffed and mounted exhibit, but Class 50 was a later in service 100mph (OK, 95mph later on) powerful Co-Co with air brakes. This means that in the post BR aftermarket it has a certain asset value, there are several main line certified and they are well able to tootle about the modern network without lots of adapting. A few of the survivors are unrestored but the use of the others means that they have potential for the future either for spares or maybe one day rebuilding. But I wouldn't class any of the surviving later diesel class members as 'preserved' in the way that, say, Duchess of Sutherland is. In many cases they are still being bought, sold, used, traded modified and broken up as the market sees fit, and it all adds to variety and interest in the modern scene.

• RMweb Gold

As a matter of interest who is paying the movement cost for all this stuff, it must be astronomical?  There are an awful lot of exhibits which are having to go by road and I suspect access to the site might also be fascinating as the entrance by the HST depot building involves some pretty tight turns - some video of that being negotiated by a 70 foot long artic trailer will make interesting viewing!