Old oak common open day 2 September

• RMweb Premium

As a matter of interest who is paying the movement cost for all this stuff, it must be astronomical?  There are an awful lot of exhibits which are having to go by road and I suspect access to the site might also be fascinating as the entrance by the HST depot building involves some pretty tight turns - some video of that being negotiated by a 70 foot long artic trailer will make interesting viewing!

The tickets aren't exactly cheap.

I assume that the entrance fee covers expenses like this, with what's left over going to charity.

• RMweb Premium

As a matter of interest who is paying the movement cost for all this stuff, it must be astronomical?  There are an awful lot of exhibits which are having to go by road and I suspect access to the site might also be fascinating as the entrance by the HST depot building involves some pretty tight turns - some video of that being negotiated by a 70 foot long artic trailer will make interesting viewing!

Remote controlled steerable trailers are impressive and will almost go fully sideways, so not that difficult to get in most places.

Dave

• Like 1

First open day for me for over 30 years and I have to commend GWR for the excellent event they have put on. Lots of interesting stuff to see and also lots to spend money on. Only slight issue was the very limited number of food outlets. 

Highlights for me the were the line up of 6 50's, the King through to Class 800 line up and the 43098 livery. 

• Like 1

The tickets aren't exactly cheap.

I assume that the entrance fee covers expenses like this, with what's left over going to charity.

£45 on the gate for a family 4 was good value........so said my other half and Kids......Top bonus of the day some random dude told my lady that he really liked her new hair cut........brill...she was so happy that she took the kids off and i spend time seeing all i wanted to see and got a Bachmann 37 for £100. 

I got to sit in the Class 14 cab on my own and snap away....good day...worth every penny!

• Like 3

Really enjoyed today and I'll post some pics when I get a chance. Can anyone tell me where the turntable, i've seen in so many pics, was sited in relation to the depot that was open today. I know it's long gone, just wondered where it would have been?

Steve.

• RMweb Gold

Really enjoyed today and I'll post some pics when I get a chance. Can anyone tell me where the turntable, i've seen in so many pics, was sited in relation to the depot that was open today. I know it's long gone, just wondered where it would have been?

Steve.

If you look at this HS2 map Steve shows the layout as now...turntable was over towards the back by the canal as on this plan

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=TWKTwuGj&id=786840F8663C02ACAB70463AB95750827312B889&thid=OIP.TWKTwuGjD5NwFp3DQccCNwEtDP&q=track+plan+of+of+old+oak+common+depot+1960s&simid=608048292879206191&selectedIndex=12&ajaxhist=0

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Steve.

If you look on the current satellite image of Old Oak there is a big new building, top right at the end of the fan of sidings is where the turntable was, the road past it is still there.

Dave

Steve.

post-1244-0-61365500-1504387289_thumb.jpgpost-1244-0-96028000-1504387349_thumb.jpg

These might help - took them 2001 from the footbridge over the canal...

Pretty sure in first pic 37 is on one of the roads off the turntable...2nd pic is looking up yard towards Padd.

In both pix I'm looking South away from canal

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Steve.

Underneath the new Crossrail depot!

EWS, who inherited the section of Old Oak that looked after locos (as opposed to the GWR HST depot) were evicted a long time ago now and the site cleared to make way for a supply centre providing concrete tunnelling segments for Crossrail. Following completion of the tunnelling this site has been turned into a new depot (a tour of which could be pre booked for an extra fee in the month leading up to yesterday's event.

Steve.

If you look on the current satellite image of Old Oak there is a big new building, top right at the end of the fan of sidings is where the turntable was, the road past it is still there.

Dave

If you Google the depot, the satellite image shows the new Crossrail depot, but maps https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.5268428,-0.2480166,18z still (very faintly) shows the turntable.

Edited by PrestburyJack

Crappy phone photos but provides a broad idea.

IMG_0351

36795616016_095a5b189b_k.jpg

I must disagree with your assessment that they are 'crappy'!!

I particularly like this one. I appreciate why the locomotives were lined up like this, but unfortunately their position and the access available for photographers meant photographing them wasn't easy. In the end I got my best picture of them from a trip on the railmotor. The 2 steam locomotives (King & Hall) were especially difficult to photograph - a minor observation though, not a criticism.

I'll post some of my pictures later.

Overall it was a great day, and good value too.

Thanks to the organisers and owners etc who made it all possible.

Edited by PrestburyJack

My last time to OOC was probably 1978 and through the fence from the canal, I thought that £20 for what was on display was fair, it was to charity after all. In advance expected to queue on entry and was not disappointed. Bit of a shame that you couldn't look around the King, Hall, Warship and Western though. Where about's was the shed that the blue pullmans used to live in?

post-7553-0-29743800-1504436627.jpg

What was the primary purpose of this building?

post-7553-0-39239600-1504436655.jpg

A slightly work warn 31438, D5557 in my day, certainly not 34G; 40B or 41A perhaps

post-7553-0-00200500-1504436674.jpg

Can't remember the last time I saw a Hymek but D7017 was nicely turned out.

post-7553-0-76699900-1504436838.jpg

No introduction needed really, but it is a lot younger than the HST's

post-7553-0-07645500-1504436818.jpg

It was nice to see Olly Cromwell

post-7553-0-84280900-1504436855.jpg

6430 was nicely turned out, somebody had been at it with the oil and paraffin rags. 

post-7553-0-59465900-1504438125.jpg post-7553-0-90447800-1504436906.jpg

I'm more into British Railways than current GWR but was impressed by these

post-7553-0-12170500-1504436938.jpg

I didn't need to cop these on the Western because I'd seen them all before they left the West Coast, but D407 range a bell as coupled up to D404 it was the first time I'd been pulled by the class, when they accelerated the schedule up to Glasgow you could get a Euston-Glasgow day return for £5, the pair came on at Crewe and just roared away north.

If anyone took a decent photo of 1501 it would be appreciated, me, the camera, sun and black locos does not equate, mind you people walking in front of your shot does not either and there was plenty of that.

• Like 6

The Pullman shed was on the right of the entrance slope to the loco depot as you walked down past the turntable area  ;)

In this view the Pullman Shed is the longer building of the two, the other one on the left is the carriage shed, in the foreground is part of the Coronation Sidings while the loco depot, turntable and Factory are off to the right... in the early days of the Hydraulics the Pullman Shed was also used for stabling and prepping Westerns, Warships, Hymeks and 22s, it was also used as a makeshift painting area later on when the Factory was full.

post-7638-0-99158000-1504447733_thumb.jpg

Edit - the short building in your first photo with the green DMU is cut back, it used to be a full length carriage shed.

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Dave

Sorry not quite

The big building, although at a different angle to the access road, is on the site of the Pullman Shed and part of the Van Sidings.  There are (open air) sidings where the turntable was.

• RMweb Gold

My last time to OOC was probably 1978 and through the fence from the canal, I thought that £20 for what was on display was fair, it was to charity after all. In advance expected to queue on entry and was not disappointed. Bit of a shame that you couldn't look around the King, Hall, Warship and Western though. Where about's was the shed that the blue pullmans used to live in?

attachicon.gifP1050448 web.jpg

What was the primary purpose of this building?

That was part, the only remaining part, of what was known as the New Carriage Shed  ('new' because it was built years after the original 1906 carriage shed over what had originally, and are nowadays once again,  sidings in the open air).  I don't know when it was demolished or indeed quite how long it was at its greatest extent but it had been cut back to that length by the mid 1970s.

Edited by The Stationmaster

Looks like an excellent day was had by all. Must've taken a lot of work to get all those locos; so well-done to the organisers.

Just wondering why there wasn't a "Castle" in the historic line-up though? Wouldn't have said that the Class 180 really played much of a role in the

overall scheme of things.

Looks like an excellent day was had by all. Must've taken a lot of work to get all those locos; so well-done to the organisers.Just wondering why there wasn't a "Castle" in the historic line-up though? Wouldn't have said that the Class 180 really played much of a role in theoverall scheme of things.

I believe Tyseley were approached as to having either Earl of Mount Edgcumbe or Rood Ashton Hall take part in the event, but the busy schedule of the Shakespeare Express meant that it wasn't practical - otherwise, they're might have been a Castle there!