The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Marmite has changed - no news at all to some it would seem

34theletterbetweenB&D

I am the only marmiteer in our household, and it maybe gets onto a slice of toast once a month, sometimes twice. I had a lovely big old jar of it up to a month ago, of unknown age. I did wonder how long it had been in the larder as I washed it out for recycling after scraping the last trace out, but there was no date in evidence on what was left of the label.

So I bought a new small glass pot of it. And today it was opened for the toast. It's not Marmite at all! It's lighter brown and stretchy and elastic and 'strings' like old Airifx polystyrene cement, and more to the point it doesn't have the taste it used to. The worst of this is that I don't have the old jar anymore to see if there is evidence on the label of what may have changed.

I gather this happened about five years ago from a quick poke about on line. Is nothing sacred? Is there a True Marmite Restoration Front, and how do I join?

• RMweb Premium

Whoopi Goldberg says eating Marmite is like licking a Cats Arse! Regardless of how she knows this, I would have to agree. It has to be one of the worst tasting man made substances I have ever tried!

Whoopi Goldberg says eating Marmite is like licking a Cats Arse!

Really?, we've got two cats, I like Marmite, we could save a bob or two on the grocery shopping there.

Its change, for me, was somewhat mitigated by the availability of Marmite XO for the hardened yeaster but I was saddened by its stealthy withdrawal. I do still console myself with a drizzle of marmite on a Cumberland sausage sandwich or a baguette with brie and Marmite.

Not seen Marmite cashews for ages either.

You do know that you are only to eat a tiny amount smeared sparingly over a large area of hot buttered toast. rather than the entire arsejarfull in one go?

That used to be the case, unfortunately with the new brown stuff you need about half a jar per slice to get any flavour out of it. It has to go on about as thick as jam now.

I can see that the economics of it from a manufacturer's perspective means they will sell a lot more jars (weekly event rather than an annual one now), but it is a big, big swizz.

I like Marmite - but every time I try and buy it in the ‘States it mysteriously disappears from the cabinet after a day or two never to be seen again, so I gave up fighting this odd “black hole”. I like it on sliced bread with Raspberry Jam on top!

How does Vegemite really compare?

Best, Pete.

Just send it back!, complain........... with a sample smeared inside a envelope ( a sample of Marmite!).........there are supermarkets own brands that still resemble the old recipe. Bovril tried to remove meat and salt a few years ago and sales collapsed.

Vegemite is now Australian again after Kraft sold it, and they are considering using the old recipes as well. It was made at first to be a clone of Marmite to replace supplies in the war. Kraft cheapened the mixture with more vegetable fat, and ruined it slowly.

The same thing is happening here in the Marmite production, reduced salt, more stabilisers and more vegetable derived fats. As it loses markets it will simply fade away........Also the brewing industry no longer has enough yeast waste to sustain the production, as brewing methods change.

Stephen

Every time you eat that a Frenchman dies.

Why, sir, I would eat it for that reason alone!

I definitely agree that Marmite matures with age, and appears to defy the worst efforts of time and tide. My sons found an unopened jar when we were clearing out our old caravan over the winter, it was reckoned to be about 7 years old and seemed none the worse for it (although the boys reckoned there was no way of knowing this, unless it actually glowed in the dark)

I can also remember it turning up in the "compo" rations provided for CCF mountain walking trips in the early 1970s; these were anything up to 15 years old, "use by" dates being then unknown, and sustained a generation of cadets with no visible ill effects.

• RMweb Gold

Why, sir, I would eat it for that reason alone!

Give the Frenchman a plastic-bagged loaf of sliced white bread, a pot of Marmite and a knife.

The knife can be used to spread the Marmite on the bread or take the honourable way out.

The trouble with the modern stuff generally is the health freaks (not those with a genuine medical problem), who want all salt removed from products, making them dangerous to consume due to bacterial attack, which did not occur with higher salt levels......So in future they want you to die from food poisoning quickly ....... rather than a long term possible heart problem.

The chances of Marmite overdosing anybody on salt must be infinitesimal...the chances of eating a dodgy low salt version and getting food poisoning must be much,  much, higher.

Another product ripped apart is Gentlemans Relish, now low salt, and little or no flavour!  The Anchovies are not salted in the same way, and develop no flavour. The same applies to Worcestershire sauce, now low sodium, and poor taste. Fortunately it is easy to make yourself, there is no one secret recipe, even Mrs Beeton published one. Mind you you will have to buy French sourced Anchovies, which remain properly salt preserved.(Best are Spanish Anchovies if you can find them)

Gentleman's Relish is easy to make, Anchovies, best butter, salt, sugar, dash of pepper and chilli, ...brandy......mashed up and stored for a few weeks before use. Beats shop bought Relish anytime.

Kentish Relish ....... as above, plus pickled walnuts, superb with cured Ham slices....

The other missing sauce is Chop Sauce, now gone commercially..it was a fortified mushroom and anchovy recipe, with Port, dates, chillies and peppers, mashed down, and reduced, then strained and bottled. No thickeners, unlike it's cousin Brown Sauce,..........and Chop Sauce is perfect with grilled Pork Chops!

• RMweb Premium

Did they have to change its consistency so that it would easily pour from a squeezy jar?

I haven't noticed any great change in the taste, but then I'm so deprived of it here that I'm grateful for anything with a Marmite label!   :yes:

• RMweb Premium

Apparently, 'the main ingredients of Marmite manufactured in the UK are glutamic acid-rich yeast extract, with lesser quantities of sodium chloride, vegetable extract, spice extracts and celery extracts, although the precise composition is a trade secret.' [Wikimite]

The factory used waste brewing yeast and a veg extract from surplus/old produce.

As a home brewer, I've been idly wondering how to use the dead yeast precipitated from a brew. At present it goes on the garden. How could I make yeast extract?

We have a compost bin for fruit/veg and garden waste which produces a flow of high-nutrient dark liquid from the bottom. Again, plants love this.

There is an organic, artisanal product here just waiting to be made. Could be called 'Davamite'?

Dava

I first became aware of the change to Marmite about 7 years ago when a Marmite loving mate in Spain complained. Australian Marmite, and its better known local equivalent, Vegemite, had been the pale rubbery stuff for years prior.

Here in Oz, my chosen yeasty spread is Promite, which is more like the Marmite of old, though with a higher sugar content.

Edit: Promite and peanut butter sandwiches are truly the food of the gods. Those who prefer a more moist filling can interpose a layer of mayonnaise twixt yeast and peanut.

Vegemite is awful, just not the same flavour at all.  My Kiwi in-laws tried to fob me off with it.

I like Marmite on cheese sandwiches.

Yes, those antipodean knock offs, Vegimite and Promite, are pale imitations and obviously made for the weaker palette.

Spread Marmite on cheese and toast on a slice of bread under the grill. The cheese and Marmite melt together to form a great tasting warming snack.

G

Archived