The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Marmite has changed - no news at all to some it would seem

34theletterbetweenB&D

Here in Oz, my chosen yeasty spread is Promite, which is more like the Marmite of old, though with a higher sugar content.

Whoo.. there...., you mean the Aussies actually allow a rival to Vegimite? Surely an offence to all true outbackers. The down side of Kraft selling the brand back to the Aussies is that Krafty Kraft retain the right to make the current rubbish for outside Australia, so the new product would have to be smuggled in to the UK, via Earls Court of course!

Stephen.

Apparently, 'the main ingredients of Marmite manufactured in the UK are glutamic acid-rich yeast extract, with lesser quantities of sodium chloride, vegetable extract, spice extracts and celery extracts, although the precise composition is a trade secret.' [Wikimite]

The factory used waste brewing yeast and a veg extract from surplus/old produce.

As a home brewer, I've been idly wondering how to use the dead yeast precipitated from a brew. At present it goes on the garden. How could I make yeast extract?

We have a compost bin for fruit/veg and garden waste which produces a flow of high-nutrient dark liquid from the bottom. Again, plants love this.

There is an organic, artisanal product here just waiting to be made. Could be called 'Davamite'?

Dava

http://www.msmarmitelover.com/2011/04/how-to-make-your-own-marmite.html

Try the link to make your own, there are lots of recipes on line.!!!!

Marmite is the nectar of the gods. Can't say I've noticed a change as I trowel it on everything; toast, a cheese sandwich, mixed in with Scrambled Eggs, drizzled over Cheesey Baked Beans, or my current favourite use, glazing roast potatoes!

I do miss the XO version, the cashews and the chocolate bars. 

I am assured that to make the XO version, you take the standard and dilute with a little Port, whisking in about three teaspoons full of fine sea salt, and one of sugar. The mix is warmed and gently simmered to reduce by about 10-20%, do not risk burning the mixture (it can take hours), then bottle and store for a year or so. This comes from a Michelin starred Chef friend, who also added Monosodium Glutamate to one batch with great success, its addition guarantees health freaks will treat it as toxic waste.

Stephen

And just to annoy Lea and Perrins (their copyright and patent long ran out !) Real Worcestershire Sauce

4   Shallots; finely chopped or minced

1 litre Good malt vinegar

90 ml Walnut ketchup (see recipe)

75 ml Anchovy essence

60 ml Soy sauce

3 grm Cayenne pepper    

Salt 2 tablespoons

Combine ingredients in a clean bottle. Seal it tightly. Shake several times daily for about 14 to 20  days, then strain sauce into small bottles, leaving a headspace in each. Seal tightly, label, and store in a cool, dry place.

Walnut Ketchup is pickled walnuts, plus dates, mashed in the black walnut vinegar and strained. Anchovy essence is mashed good quality anchovies. Other spices can be added like Turmeric and Coriander seeds, crushed, it is after all an Indian recipe..

From

"Mrs Beeton's Book Of Cookery And Home Management"

Okay, in the interests of food science and home economics, a controlled taste test. Single piece of white toast split down the middle, two spreading knives to prevent cross contamination. Glass of water to cleanse the palate.

On the left, one jar of Marmite. On the right, one cats arse*.

post-6861-0-99498200-1492018260_thumb.jpg

Righto, tasting about to commence, will report back in a mo.

(*Thanks to Treacle for her willingness to partake in this important scientific study.)

Aaarrrrgggh, Aaaaaarrrggh, Aaaaaarrrrggghhhh.....

No!, Noooo, it doesn't, Whoopi Goldberg is WRONG!, it definitely doesn't taste like Marmite, it tastes like, like...cat sh1t.

Aaaaaarrrrggghh....

And a glass of water does not cleanse the taste! Even Marmite doesn't mask it....

• RMweb Premium

As a home brewer, I've been idly wondering how to use the dead yeast precipitated from a brew. At present it goes on the garden. How could I make yeast extract?

Dava

I used to use the bottom bit in a batch of home brew, the bit with all the yeast in it, as stock for a stew. It worked a treat and tasted lovely. In my bachelor days I made a stew when my teetotal mother and aunt came for lunch. They complemented me on the taste of the stew and I had to be a little economical with the truth as to the trade secret.

Jamie

Aaarrrrgggh, Aaaaaarrrggh, Aaaaaarrrrggghhhh.....

No!, Noooo, it doesn't, Whoopi Goldberg is WRONG!, it definitely doesn't taste like Marmite, it tastes like, like...cat sh1t.

Aaaaaarrrrggghh....

And a glass of water does not cleanse the taste! Even Marmite doesn't mask it....

My dog likes cat sh1t. I wonder if she'd also like Marmite.

I am still wondering about Whoopi Goldberg's discovery of what cats do-dars taste like, was it a mistake digging them up, or was it from a kitty litter tray mistaken for food in a kitchen.......not having ever sampled a cat, I am in no way sure about the comparison, with yeast extract. It certainly smells different, there is no whiff of gourmet delight in cats do-dars.

Marmite delight in saying people hate it, but I think the marketing ploy has run it's course and may be backfiring on the sales. Generally Americans sit on the scale of liking large portions of bland processed to death food, the Swedes are opposite with the stinking fish etc., and the UK has Marmite. The French like ripe cheeses, and the Germans like strong fermented Cabbage.....

• RMweb Gold

I must admit that the change in recipe to Marmite will make no difference to me, I class Marmite eaters alongside Jehovahs Witnesses, Greenpeace members and German car drivers as people who won't see sense, so I just let them get on with it.

Mike.

PS. Worcestershire sauce, utter tosh, Hendersons Relish every time.

Whoopi Goldberg says eating Marmite is like licking a Cats Arse! Regardless of how she knows this, I would have to agree. It has to be one of the worst tasting man made substances I have ever tried!

Our next door neighbours cat is called Marmite. After reading this post I wonder if somethings going on next door I'd  rather not have known about. :beee:

• RMweb Premium

Has anyone tried Australian cat's bottom? Is it any different from the British?

K

Probably the same as the difference between Vegimite and Marmite!!!!!

I can't remember Marmite but I know Vegemite is bad enough to abandon any further tests!

My wife loves Vegemite, but she has never been to Britain; so pointless asking her to taste an Australian cat. There, that doesn't answer your question, but I suspect that is the closest you will get to answer! You could always come to Australia to complete your own tests.

Nothing beats doing it yourself, so goes the saying.

• RMweb Gold

I like Marmite - but every time I try and buy it in the ‘States it mysteriously disappears from the cabinet after a day or two never to be seen again, so I gave up fighting this odd “black hole”. I like it on sliced bread with Raspberry Jam on top!

How does Vegemite really compare?

Best, Pete.

Much better............but I still don't like it much!!!

Mike

Archived