CARROG in 4mm & Ruabon discussion...

coachmann

Just going to throw in you are edging away from prototype, the last picture of the goods dock clearly has a plastic chair which is missing from yours and they have opted for N gauge track whereas I recall you are using 4mm.

Tsk Tsk, it is little things like this that really spoil a layout  :jester:

It's looking very good Coach, I think the subterfuge with the corbelling will work well at normal viewing distances.

Thanks for proving the word 'corebelling'', as I now know how to describe the stepped brickwork. I only built one platform for the time being to minimize mistakes while trying to replicate GWR architecture. I am well used to building LNWR, which is where the sandstone ideas came from. On reflection, I got the stonework wrong and I should have used a weathering technique I developed for grey stone. 

Just going to throw in you are edging away from prototype, the last picture of the goods dock clearly has a plastic chair which is missing from yours and they have opted for N gauge track whereas I recall you are using 4mm.  Tsk Tsk, it is little things like this that really spoil a layout  :jester:

I must try harder haha.  In BR days, and probably later GWR days, there was a embankment of grassland and weeds up against the platform rear and that is what I have yet to model.  Preservationists removed it in the 1990's and allowed the brickwork to breath again. At every stage of the model I am thinking, what was it like in BR days. Colour photos show the ballast on the running lines was brown. I can only guess at the goods yard, but seeing as so many were in ash for drainage, I followed likewise.  The track leading to the cattle dock and unloading platform was given a bit a variety with new ballast here and there simply because that track was used the most often and could conceivably have had sleepers replaced particularly by the cattle dock.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 7

Yay, that green chair again. I had nightmares, but not about the chair.

post-6680-0-27564000-1496589954.jpg

The power of photography showed up my stonework so I rebuilt it today using Wills SSMP200 Course Stone, then coloured it as grey stone...

post-6680-0-21557400-1496590632_thumb.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 17

Wow what excellent progress Larry have to say 'I'm impressed' with the signal box especially as I'm sure you said you don't do buildings .........that looks spot on I will of course be down to check with the real thing next time a have a walk in that general direction .......... you should be well pleased with your efforts ....... :sungum:

No I'm sorry Larry but I reckon this is a better 'box. It even has a resident robin who likes to watch proceedings from a Wickham trolley in the rear siding, but he has been known to have come into the signalbox.

post-31351-0-36726100-1496594400_thumb.jpeg

• Like 5

Wow what excellent progress Larry have to say 'I'm impressed' with the signal box especially as I'm sure you said you don't do buildings .........that looks spot on I will of course be down to check with the real thing next time a have a walk in that general direction .......... you should be well pleased with your efforts ....... :sungum:

Thanks Gismo'.  Buildings are not my 'thing' that's for sure. But for some strange reason, it suddenly seemed the natural thing to do hence making a start on the station. I won't stop now until it is completed, but I admit the station building/house is bugging me. The image of Highley signalbox by SVRlad probably isn't to far out as am fighting the temptation to use a Bachmann Highley station house!

• Like 2

No I'm sorry Larry but I reckon this is a better 'box. It even has a resident robin who likes to watch proceedings from a Wickham trolley in the rear siding, but he has been known to have come into the signalbox.

That's the box that Ratio based their kit on I think, I built one.

John

What is with you guys and green chairs? It was only two days ago that some members were wondering why I had not posted any updates. The answer is obvious.

We're you seeking out a 00 gauge green chair ;-)

Thanks Gismo'.  Buildings are not my 'thing' that's for sure. But for some strange reason, it suddenly seemed the natural thing to do hence making a start on the station. I won't stop now until it is completed, but I admit the station building/house is bugging me. The image of Highley signalbox by SVRlad probably isn't to far out as am fighting the temptation to use a Bachmann Highley station house!

And look what happened when you relaid the tracks at the back of the box....you are much happier.

I wouldn't try to cheat when you have gotten this far, and it is looking brilliant!

Khris

One of the beauties of basing ones station on a real location is modelling detail that one overlooks when not modelling. The non-slip floor bricks that were familiar at many GWR stations were not even noticed when taking the photo of the signalbox entrance below....

post-6680-0-73018000-1496659021.jpg

post-6680-0-24597600-1496659023_thumb.jpg

The starting point should be ordinarry brick but I only had English Bond in stock. I figured that by the time I had scribed on the diamond pattern, the courses would barely show. I am surprised Slaters has not done its embossed bricks on blue Plastikard before now to represent Engineering bricks.....

post-6680-0-20755200-1496659251.jpg

Shown below painted engineering brick blue with moss between the courses and in areas where feet barely wander. The green was much diluted mid to light green brushed on and then wiped off with as tissue until the blue bricks were relatively clean. Then I dry-brushed the surfaces with dark blue enamel (Humbrol Matt 112) to restore the coluring where people walk. Close up photography is very cruel, but despite being measuring only 38mm x 36mm, this surface adds a bit of character to the area....

post-6680-0-51920000-1496659252.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 12

You've got one hell of a good eye for this stuff Larry - you make it look so easy to get great results. From the platform edging to the non-slip bricks, this is all shouting BR(W) to me - it's already brimming with character. 

David

• RMweb Gold

That's the box that Ratio based their kit on I think, I built one.

Johnyle

Agree.  It's actually a standard McKenzie & Holland design structure which has got a bit 'Westernised' (e.g. the steps) over the years but the brick bit at the bottom has remained 'pure' McKH in style

• Like 1

Agree.  It's actually a standard McKenzie & Holland design structure which has got a bit 'Westernised' (e.g. the steps) over the years but the brick bit at the bottom has remained 'pure' McKH in style

And who do you think regularly ascends those steps? A relative volunteers there and sometimes when it's the evening I pop in for a few minutes and witness operations. The inside is really nice, but as yet I don't think it's quite as advanced as Kiddy or Bewdley South in that as far as I know it hasn't got a microwave oven.