CARROG in 4mm & Ruabon discussion...

coachmann

Looks nice. I note the sun is streaming down. What's your philosophy on feeds, fishplates and expansion on the outside bits. If you've explained before excuse my question.

The extension built in April 2016 complete with Peco Code 100 was never a problem.  The only feed was just inside the doorway. It fed the whole of the loop. As now, the track was laid in hot weather while the rails were expanded. It was 95 degrees in the shed late afternoon while laying a new fiddle yard. Rail-joiners for carry the current. 

Regarding the extension now nearing completion, Track for the first two feet will be fed from the toe of the turnout leading to the twin tracks, then there are insulating rail joiners. The remainder of the tracks on the extension will be fed from the opposite end from within the shed and will be permanently live.  All tracks within the shed are kept live with numerous feeds to keep the DCC Sound locos 'alive' when standing in the yard and in a platform. Things are different in the fiddle yard where points isolate tracks and keep locos schtum!

Hope this helps.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

The extension built in April 2016 complete with Peco Code 100 was never a problem.  The only feed was just inside the doorway. It fed the whole of the loop. As now, the track was laid in hot weather while the rails were expanded. It was 95 degrees in the shed late afternoon while laying a new fiddle yard.

Did the corresponding winter contraction cause any significant gaps at the rail joints, Larry?

Looks Good Larry, will the other end also be Double Tracked as well now?

Much better idea to bring the Point inside.

Hi Andy, The track from Carrog to Glyn' is single as per the real thing so there is no call for double track on the original extension.

Nice 14xx Larry, is it Hattons/DJM?

It's a DJM'Hattons which arrived weathered. I toned it down with a blow over of diluted satin black.  Like a few of my locos, it has been waiting for delivery of engraved plates. 

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

The end of the extended Carrog platform loop now feeds into the fiddle yard. Sidings are much shorter than hitherto but this is the price I am prepared to pay for using only large radius points. In fact short sidings are of little consequence when typical trains on the Llangollen line are short. There is one long dead end siding under the windows.....

post-6680-0-71573100-1495743136.jpg

This completes all track laying. Minimum radius anywhere is 3ft.  Protective weather 'tunnels' for the two extra shed outlets will be built in the morning.....

post-6680-0-97533100-1495743137.jpg

• Like 13

The end of the extended Carrog platform loop now feeds into the fiddle yard. Sidings are much shorter than hitherto but this is the price I am prepared to pay for using only large radius points. In fact short sidings are of little consequence when typical trains on the Llangollen line are short. There is one long dead end siding under the windows.....

attachicon.gifWEB fiddle yard 1.jpg

This completes all track laying. Minimum radius anywhere is 3ft.  Protective weather 'tunnels' for the two extra shed outlets will be built in the morning.....

attachicon.gifWEB fiddle yard 2.jpg

Just a thought Larry, replace the 2 Points with a D/S and then you can still re use the other points and gain about 2 ft per loop.

post-9335-0-75870000-1495745925.jpg

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 4

Just a thought Larry, replace the 2 Points with a D/S and then you can still re use the other points and gain about 2 ft per loop.

I set the 3ft minimum radius from the outset and designed the layout accordingly because 3ft does not impose a drastic knock-on affect on locos and coaches. By contrast, 2ft radius slips would compromise everything by forcing me to run locos with front steps set too wide apart to clear bogie wheels and compromise my Kadee couplings by setting coach buffers too far apart. 

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Gold

As always I'm enjoying the build process and progress. I did wonder whether it would be possible to add another point where the double track enters the shed, making a trailing crossover from  the double section. Then  take  one or more of the window side loops of the fiddleyard off that, making them longer.  It would lose some flexibility of operation, as an anticlockwise running train couldn't access the window side loops, but could usefully increase storage.

Thanks

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Hi Larry, I do like the way the track disappears out of the shed and looks to go "somewhere". It reminds me of the great Ken Paine's Last Great Project in O gauge.

Sun stopped play today.  Back out again at 6pm though wearing a body warmer  to protect the back and neck which had copped it earlier.  The two tunnels are now completed and that ends a weeks work in the garden. The tunnels were built exactly as the two made in 2016 although these are slightly longer.....

post-6680-0-30659800-1495828195.jpg

The other tunnel has a transparent top so that daylight shows under the overbridge at Carrog station. The sides taper down and there is a gutter at the end to deflect rainwater to each side of the track....

post-6680-0-20414700-1495828198.jpg

post-6680-0-84608500-1495828200.jpg

General view....

post-6680-0-98300300-1495828199_thumb.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for showing this step by step, Larry. A Danish friend recently asked how something like this could be done, so I'll be directing him here (that's step one, step two will be to convince him to run British outline).

• Like 2

Sun stopped play today.  Back out again at 6pm though wearing a body warmer  to protect the back and neck which had copped it earlier.  The two tunnels are now completed and that ends a weeks work in the garden. The tunnels were built exactly as the two made in 2016 although these are slightly longer.....

attachicon.gifWEB extension 31.jpg

The other tunnel has a transparent top so that daylight shows under the overbridge at Carrog station. The sides taper down and there is a gutter at the end to deflect rainwater to each side of the track....

attachicon.gifWEB Extension 34.jpg

attachicon.gifWEB extension 36.jpg

General view....

attachicon.gifWEB extension 35.jpg

Excellent progress Larry and well built too if i may say so .....I like the 'Avalanche' shelters all ready for the north wales winter climate  :jester:

• RMweb Premium

Having followed Larry's threads in the past, the track has come up, and we are now on 2mm Finescale, Manchester Victoria with Miles Platting Bank and Newton Heath shed to enable him to run the Red Bank Parceks rake in full.!

Hat, coat etc and running for the hills

Regards

Ian

• Like 3