CARROG in 4mm & Ruabon discussion...

coachmann

Larry

Your signal box looks the part.  I love the attention to detail.  Your thread continues to encourage me to greater things and when it comes to the signal box at Penmaenpool (also still standing but much modified as a natural history museum) I must remember to come back to this part of your Carrog build.  After all, we may be on different scales and original companies but it is the same through line from Chester to Barmouth!

• Like 2

Hi Paul, it is surprising how much there is to do when building a layout, even when it is a simple station (on paper) like Penmaenpool or Carrog. David at Towyn is now back into his Talyllyn Junction layout so things are happening again for the three of us.. The heavy rain has put paid to almost everything today except painting the rails in the goods yard. 

A quick note at bedtime to say the locking room door handle is now on the correct side.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 4

That signal box is full of detail. Superb modelling.

I smiled in my perverse way as actually it is not full of detail, but is a shell inside haha.  Must pick up a signalbox interior kit this week.  A ready-to-plonk station house will arrive today. This lousy weather is the best time for making things indoors and a RTP building wll give me a head start. All I need is some etched window frames...

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 2

I smiled in my perverse way as actually it is not full of detail, but is a shell inside haha.  Must pick up a signalbox interior kit this week.  A ready-to-plonk station house will arrive today. This lousy weather is the best time for making things indoors and a RTP building wll give me a head start. All I need is some etched window frames...

Larry

Have you tried York Model Rail windows etc.?

As to the weather, the wind is blowing over 60kph today so spray painting outside is out of the question.  In the village this morning chairs were flying around the outdoor cafés!  And they weren't green!

Paul

• RMweb Gold

For somebody who doesn't like structure modelling that signalbox is very impressive indeed.

Incidentally without a doubt the best interior kit for a Western 'box is the Springside one - the 'full one' is a bit pricey at £16.75 but it is at least 100%  GWR with even the cupboards and stove being the correct pattern (the stove is correct for use with a masonry chimney) while the lever frame has been accurately modelled from a Reading made 'frame.

• Like 2

Larry

Have you tried York Model Rail windows etc.?

Thanks Paul, I found some windows (and doors) I can adapt to suit Carrog on the Scale Link site and placed an order. Failure to find anything would have meant building window frames from Plastikard glued to 40thou clear glazing. The intention last January was to have them etched to measurements, but there we are....  It's only a model railway and I won't even notice things are not spot-on once operation starts.  :D

For somebody who doesn't like structure modelling that signalbox is very impressive indeed.

Incidentally without a doubt the best interior kit for a Western 'box is the Springside one - the 'full one' is a bit pricey at £16.75 but it is at least 100%  GWR with even the cupboards and stove being the correct pattern (the stove is correct for use with a masonry chimney) while the lever frame has been accurately modelled from a Reading made 'frame.

Thanks for this. I rather suspect I will go for something inexpensive, afterall, I very nearly started sticking sticks in there to represent levers....  :sungum:

:O

:mosking:  While I do not advocate sloppy standards, I do tend to make things as simple as possible and so a super-dooper signal box interior simply wouldn't be seen to any advantage due to reflections within the shed. I always take council from other modellers (while ignoring the blandishments of armchair theorisers), and I noticed Ratio do an interior kit.  For once, I consider plastic will do nicely seeing as it will be tucked safely inside its shell.

• Like 2

:mosking:  While I do not advocate sloppy standards, I do tend to make things as simple as possible and so a super-dooper signal box interior simply wouldn't be seen to any advantage due to reflections within the shed. I always take council from other modellers (while ignoring the blandishments of armchair theorisers), and I noticed Ratio do an interior kit.  For once, I consider plastic will do nicely seeing as it will be tucked safely inside its shell.

And very few people are going to be examining the interior of your signal box with a magnifying glass for 10 minutes are they?

I meant the building and surrounding area was full of detail, such as the non slip blocks by the steps and the lower set of steps too. Great stuff.

While plotting out where the various station buildings would go, it was obvious the loading bay was too short! This little job took all afternoon.... 

post-6680-0-83994200-1496777772_thumb.jpg

Ignore the pesky green chair. This area leading to the cattle dock was probably ash in BR days...

post-6680-0-71852700-1496777771.jpg

post-6680-0-33062600-1496777770_thumb.jpg

The signalbox has acquired a lamp...

post-6680-0-10102600-1496778057_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

Oh no it won't...

There is and answer to that reply .......Oh yes -- ---.............but would I dare  :triniti:

Brilliant progress Larry very impressive ..... the engineering brick work is so spot on what colours have to used to get that effect please ......

There is and answer to that reply .......Oh yes -- ---.............but would I dare  :triniti:

Brilliant progress Larry very impressive ..... the engineering brick work is so spot on what colours have to used to get that effect please ......

The colour is rather elusive and I used Humbrol Matt 112 as a brush over. But the bricks were first sprayed with my own mix in cellulose (on top of plastic primer).  The bricks look rather dark in real life; more of a purplish-blue and did a lot of experimenting where it wouldn't show.  In the end I left well alone. I used Precision Paints engineering brick blue a couple of years back.

Signalbox bricks....

post-6680-0-41868600-1496790443.jpg

New building in GWR style at Llangollen....

post-6680-0-47749700-1496790444.jpg

• Like 4