CARROG in 4mm & Ruabon discussion...

coachmann

• RMweb Gold

I've found the red brick colour a bit elusive in the past and have tried various mixes of enamel paints, but I now tend to use Precision BR wagon bauxite as a basis for that orangey brick colour that is so common on the GWR. Did I read somewhere that this is something you've also used?

I wasn't aware of that product, Stubby, it certainly looks excellent. I've got a forthcoming project that might be able to use one of those.

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 1

I've found the red brick colour a bit elusive in the past and have tried various mixes of enamel paints, but I now tend to use Precision BR wagon bauxite as a basis for that orangey brick colour that is so common on the GWR. Did I read somewhere that this is something you've also used?

Some years ago when building Diggle Junction in the north West of England, I used Precision/Phoenix dark and light brick colours.  But when I started to model the Great Western, I mixed a colour in enamel and cellulose that is close to orange.  It's natural brightness was distressed by adding a drop of black.

Edited by coachmann

The end loading dock was sorted today. This entailed reshaping the ground behind the buffers, making a blue brick path and placing the slope down to the goods yard in line with the buffers stops. I don't know if this path was here in BR days. Cattle would have had to walk across it to access the cattle dock. The hedge to the right of the path is a restoration thing to give privacy to the garden....

post-6680-0-64168300-1496862140.jpg

The edge of the path was painted green in readiness for ground scatter....

post-6680-0-82285100-1496862141_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

The accuracy of your modelling in comparison to the prototype is quite something. Knowing the area and looking at the aspects you have captured in the layout makes the model very immersive even at this stage with plenty still to do.

Very impressive,

John

The accuracy of your modelling in comparison to the prototype is quite something. Knowing the area and looking at the aspects you have captured in the layout makes the model very immersive even at this stage with plenty still to do.

Very impressive,

John

Pendon like. :sungum:

• Like 1

Lovely modelling Coachman, I was there today taking some pictures of the Ex SR Utility van that I have a kit to build of.

The regular worker 45337 made an appearance just as I was leaving, so I got her coming in and after pulling over the bridge, just leaving too!!!

post-14906-0-98242700-1496877207_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-85362700-1496877216_thumb.jpg

Keep up the wonderfully inspiring work.

Jinty ;)

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

The end loading dock was sorted today. This entailed reshaping the ground behind the buffers, making a blue brick path and placing the slope down to the goods yard in line with the buffers stops. I don't know if this path was here in BR days. Cattle would have had to walk across it to access the cattle dock. The hedge to the right of the path is a restoration thing to give privacy to the garden....

attachicon.gifWEB loading bay 5.jpg

The edge of the path was painted green in readiness for ground scatter....

attachicon.gifWEB loading bay 6.jpg

I doubt that path was like that if it was used to reach the cattle dock.  It appears to be laid with ordinary clay bricks (engineering bricks by the look of them) and clay bricks get slippery when wet - hence the use of the bricks with various channel patterns in them to aid drainage and provide edges to help grip.

I doubt that path was like that if it was used to reach the cattle dock.  It appears to be laid with ordinary clay bricks (engineering bricks by the look of them) and clay bricks get slippery when wet - hence the use of the bricks with various channel patterns in them to aid drainage and provide edges to help grip.

I quite agree Mike. I thought long and hard about whether to lay it or not.  It is such a characteristic of today's Carrog and is where most people access the platform from the car parking area. Today there is a hedge enclosing the rear of the corrugated goods shed and so the whole of this yard must have been far more open in BR days. It has been quite a task trying to work out how the land lay and how parcels and goods road vehicles loaded and unloaded at the rear of the shed.

In short, this area occupies my thoughts at the moment and that path may in fact have disappeared by the end of the day.  An exit from the station was most likely via the path where today's lavatories are situated. The latter did not exist in BR days but of course have been a major convenience while Carrog has been a terminus.  What future the fortunes of this station once Corwen Station is completely operational...

Does Google Earth show any earlier (eg 1940s) satellite views of Carrog ?  (Not got  the app installed on my work's pc, so can't check myself).

We wish! You could always send an email to Mr whatever-his-name-is in his Californian mansion and attach some files from the Swindon archives with a plea to put them on Google Earth.

No, seriously, try old OS maps or perhaps a local library.

• RMweb Gold

This link is to the 1949 6 inch map published in 1952 ans is not very helpful as far as the lie of the land is concerned.

http://maps.nls.uk/view/102184165

And much the same for the 1:25000 of 1956

http://maps.nls.uk/view/91791704

I too looked at the Scotland maps website and decided it was not good enough.  I'll check Google Earth later - there is often a slider at the bottom with the timeline of various image dates.

There was a grass covered mini embankment behind the Up platform in BR days (preservationists removed it).  A peice of scrap plywood was sawn to the required curve and glued with Evostik behind the platform together with and edging of crumpled newsprint...

attachicon.gifWEB goods yard 7.jpg

Vinyl ReadyGrass was glued over it with assistance from a heat gun....

attachicon.gifWEB Goods yard 8.jpg

The view towards the signalbox after Woodland Scenics ground scatter has been added....

attachicon.gifWEB goods yard 11.jpg

The path has been eliminated. When dry, the ash will be filed down to dust....

attachicon.gifWEB loading bay 8.jpg

The pathless area is much better and probably right for your time period Larry, if not RIGHT, well as near as makes no odds.

• Like 3