CARROG in 4mm & Ruabon discussion...

coachmann

That's a grand bit of scratch-building, Coach. I expect there's going to be quite a few copies from GWR fans.

Bachmann or Hornby could do a lot worse than adopt Carrog in resin. The station buildings on both platforms make for lovely models. 

Below is a cruel close up of the windows ledges. The lintels were glued on last night and left to harden, then this morning I set too with a file to shape them. The RH window has yet to be done...

post-6680-0-03625300-1504863353_thumb.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 11

Bachmann or Hornby could do a lot worse than adopt Carrog in resin. The station buildings on both platforms make for lovely models. 

Below is a cruel close up of the windows ledges. The lintels were glued on last night and left to harden, then this morning I set too with a file to shape them. The RH window has yet to be done...

attachicon.gifWEB Waiting room 6.jpg

Very nice building!

Now you have said it...and built the models....it is a fair chance that someone will release a set of RTP models any time soon! ;)

Very nice building!

Now you have said it...and built the models....it is a fair chance that someone will release a set of RTP models any time soon! ;)

It would be great I think. The brick waiting shelter in particular was typical and could be found all along the Ruabon-Dolgelley route not as well many GWR lines across the country.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

My eldest grandson visited us today so, after some filming on his phone, Carrog is to appear on a golfing website!  Cue for jokes...

The GWR waiting room is all but built now...

Roof supports.....

post-6680-0-43488900-1504898941.jpg

Standard Ratio and Wills accessories used for detailing. Photographed at dusk...

post-6680-0-79725500-1504898943.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 18

Very nice building!

Happened to me! I built Shillingstone and associated buildings and a year later Bachmann produced them.  :angry:

• Like 1

Ah daylight. Regarding the protruding layer of bricks around the Gents, the lowest course should be slightly recessed. It can be done by tinning down the plastikard sheet, but I found in 4mm scale it is easier to draw a black line beneath the second course down to act as a shadow.....

post-6680-0-60576100-1504955401.jpg

Primer is a good leveller, in this instance Halfords Plastic Primer....

post-6680-0-05439600-1504955403.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 16

The window frames were ruled in paint onto thick glazing material by tracing over the 4mm print of the building....

post-6680-0-11306600-1504979892.jpg

The engineering brick corners stones were picked out with Humbrol matt dark blue. As usual, I shouldn't have used Humbrol as it really is a mess of a paint nowadays. The dark blue used to cover well at one time but this stuff is transparent and needs stirring constantly. Railmatch GWR brown is also playing silly beggars and is translucent and slow drying. It really is time I took a proper look at acrylics for buildings. The main brick, lower blue and slate colours are cellulose, as I know where I am with this paint....

post-6680-0-67436900-1504979893.jpg

Mortar courses and weathering remain to be done as well as matt varnishing and fitting glazing.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

The engineering brick corners stones were picked out with Humbrol matt dark blue. As usual, I shouldn't have used Humbrol as it really is a mess of a paint nowadays. The dark blue used to cover well at one time but this stuff is transparent and needs stirring constantly. Railmatch GWR brown is also playing silly beggars and is translucent and slow drying. It really is time I took a proper look at acrylics for buildings. The main brick, lower blue and slate colours are cellulose, as I know where I am with this paint....

I've had a lot of problems with Humbrol paints in recent times. Colours that don't cover well, Matt paints drying shiny etc. I've taken to test painting on offcuts to make sure they are OK before I start the real thing.

I recently found a box of various old Humbrol and Airfix tinlets, some unused, that we had mostly for aircraft kits when my son was about 10. Many of them still worked fine with a good stir, despite the fact he is turned 40 now.

• Like 1

I did the mortar courses on one end and immediately lost all the corner engineering bricks that had been done in Humbrol.....Ruddy stuff! I replaced them using cellulose, which is what I should have done first time round, as it is more controllable and less inclined to bleed into the mortar courses. Trouble is, I do so few buildings that I tend to forget how I did things last time.

There is nothing for it but to seal all the paint with a spray coat of cellulose varnish before attempting the white mortar courses. A job for tomorrow morning that I hadn't planned for!

• Like 4

Humbrol really has gone naff in recent years. I've got to the point where I'll dry brush engineering blue after the mortar course has been applied and avoid Humbrol unless absolutely necessary. Railmatch enamel roof dirt has been my choice for the blue brick for a fair few years now. I've found it to be surprisingly close to the appearance desired, especially where the red primer I use for brickwork shows through in tiny patches, which well replicates the red inclusions found in engineering blue brick on railway infrastructure in the area I model.

• RMweb Premium

The window frames were ruled in paint onto thick glazing material by tracing over the 4mm print of the building....

attachicon.gifWEB Waiting room 14.jpg

attachicon.gifWEB Waiting Room 15.jpg

Mortar courses and weathering remain to be done as well as matt varnishing and fitting glazing.

Is your Humbrol paint a recent purchase? Someone said on here that a Union Flag on the tin indicated UK manufacture, and the quality had come back.

The up platform shelter looks great Larry.

I couldn't believe it when my friend Martin Williamson told me that shelter, box etc were all rebuilt from scratch. Were they the original bricks used on rebuilding? Credit where credit is due to the Llangollen Railway.

It all looks and feels like Carrog Larry, great work!

Edited by 9793

When are you going to cut that thingy off Coach?? :)

That thingy acted as a handle while the spraying was being done. The rest of the cattle path can be attached to this. This corner is an area I can be flexible with seeing as it doesn't exist in reality. 

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 3