CARROG in 4mm & Ruabon discussion...

coachmann

Coach,

Could you not make the tree removable by inserting a rod into the bottom of the trunk that fits into a tube in the ground.

All my trees are stuffed into holes and are removable, but the problem has been solved.  This picture was taken in steam days after the Down loop had been taken out of use and there ain't no tree!  Also noticed the round-post signal whereas the current one is square post...

post-6680-0-81307500-1504690056_thumb.jpg

Idyllic scene. It never looked this tidy in the steam era and so this is what I have to be careful of. "Untidy" has yet to be recreated....

post-6680-0-72946500-1504689172_thumb.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold

This morning at work, (whilst having my morning brew), I was perusing this very thread when a colleague got up and looked over my shoulder.

"Is that Carrog? I went to school near there." and then wondered off. (He is a muggle or a "normal" - ie someone with no interest in railways whatsoever.)

But still, praise indeed.

Kev.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Hi, praise indeed. I am intrigued by your Avatar.......Did the SHMD plaque adorn the bus garage in Ashton?  

I don't need to tell you that SHMD stood for :- "Stalybridge, Hyde, Mossley & Dukinfield Tramways & Electricity Board."

The four towns joined together to build a (unsuccessful) Tram system and they also had a 64 MW power station too!

My avatar is not from the bus depot in Ashton and is from one of the many still extant street level electricity sub-stations.

(I thought Ashton-Under-Lyne refused to join the other 4 councils so I would be surprised if there was an "SHMD" block in Ashton.)

post-12815-0-47151700-1463922307_thumb.j

In this view, a Super Grid Transformer (SGT) is passing a street level sub-Station, at Millbrook, on its way to Heyrod's line side substation for the Electrification of the Standedge Transpennine route.

post-12815-0-70120700-1463922328_thumb.j

Kev.

• Like 7

Coach, isn't that the tree in a smaller form just peeking above the canopy in the photo?  Curved like a bush?

Possibly. There are trees to adore and trees to ignore.  I'll have that telegraph pole instead . :biggrin_mini2:

Not a lot to report. A hedge and boundary fence were added to the field side of the path ...

post-6680-0-20067600-1504725459.jpg

While the goods yard may be similar to the real thing, it has been a thorn in my side for some time now and so a slight alteration might be made. Ideally (for me), the coal siding would be on the down side where I had planned to put in when I was building Carrog in 0 gauge.

• Like 12

I know this is obvious but the biggest problem I have with accurate modelling of a real prototype location is that, once you have collected lots of photos they try to represent the place in four dimensions but actually do it in only two dimensions. Vegetation is the biggest problem because it grows, it gets cut down or trimmed and so on. If the photos cannot be easily dated, that is where the fourth dimension starts to fail.

I am thinking of taking all the photographs I have with dates and ordering them, then try to fit in the photos that are not dated. Not only does my vegetation look totally different today, I also have signals that have moved location through time. The tree on the up platform side of the bridge at Carrog is a good example of the problems I face at Penmaenpool.

3½ years ago I was modelling northern grot in the West Riding of Yorkshire, but going off message plus little desire to expand beyond the limits of the shed led to an unsatisfactory layout. From what I have learned building Carrog, I could do a lot better today.  Another recently recovered image......

post-6680-0-87033200-1504728153_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

3½ years ago I was modelling northern grot in the West Riding of Yorkshire, but going off message plus little desire to expand beyond the limits of the shed led to an unsatisfactory layout. From what I have learned building Carrog, I could do a lot better today.  Another recently recovered image......

attachicon.gifWEB Northern grot.jpg

I thought that was a cracking layout....

I don't need to tell you that SHMD stood for :- "Stalybridge, Hyde, Mossley & Dukinfield Tramways & Electricity Board."

The four towns joined together to build a (unsuccessful) Tram system and they also had a 64 MW power station too!

My avatar is not from the bus depot in Ashton and is from one of the many still extant street level electricity sub-stations.

(I thought Ashton-Under-Lyne refused to join the other 4 councils so I would be surprised if there was an "SHMD" block in Ashton.)

The Joint board buses were 'our' buses with being born in Hyde, and I bought one of their 1952-built Daimlers in the 1972. I had completely forgotten about electricity Board connection.  Regarding my reference to the SHMD bus garage in Ashton, it was down a back street. Many of the buses were parked outside on the 'Ponderrosa' where they could be hitched up to sockets to work their electric heaters. When I garaged my preserved bus in a mill in Greenfield, the 'boss' told me never to plug in the heater as "The electric meter will run a fuppin' bearing!"      :mosking:

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

The Joint board buses were 'our' buses with being born in Hyde, and I bought one of their 1952-built Daimlers in the 1972. I had completely forgotten about electricity Board connection.  Regarding my reference to the SHMD bus garage in Ashton, it was down a back street. Many of the buses were parked outside on the 'Ponderrosa' where they could be hitched up to sockets to work their electric heaters. When I garaged my preserved bus in a mill in Greenfield, the 'boss' told me never to plug in the heater as "The electric meter will run a fuppin' bearing!"      :mosking:

Barry O of this parish will remember a trip from Leeds to the NYMR and back in an SHMD double-decker back in the late 1970s. If I recall correctly there were no seats downstairs as the owner (whom I won't name) hadn't yet finished the restoration.

Barry O of this parish will remember a trip from Leeds to the NYMR and back in an SHMD double-decker back in the late 1970s. If I recall correctly there were no seats downstairs as the owner (whom I won't name) hadn't yet finished the restoration.

Was it the centre entrance Daimler?  My pal Stan Bishop originally owned this bus. Mine was a open rear platform Daimler CVD6 with exposed radiator.

• RMweb Premium

Was it the centre entrance Daimler?  My pal Stan Bishop originally owned this bus. Mine was a open rear platform Daimler CVD6 with exposed radiator.

No, it was an open rear platform bus but I've no idea what sort. I would guess that it dated from the 1950s.

Edit - I've tried a couple of Google searches without definite success, but fleet no 61 is a possible contender - was that yours? The person I have in mind seems to have been a part-owner.

​Somewhere at home I've got a photo that might confirm the identity but I won't have a chance to search for it until the end of next week at the earliest.

Edited by St Enodoc

No, it was an open rear platform bus but I've no idea what sort. I would guess that it dated from the 1950s.

Edit - I've tried a couple of Google searches without definite success, but fleet no 61 is a possible contender - was that yours? The person I have in mind seems to have been a part-owner.

​Somewhere at home I've got a photo that might confirm the identity but I won't have a chance to search for it until the end of next week at the earliest.

No.61 was indeed mine. I sold it to a friend (he is or was an RMweb member) and he acquired a partner.

Sadly the bus had a weak Daimler engine and I saw no future in running it after restoration (I was driving Leylands and AEC's part-time at the time and so could compare).  But back in the early 1970's it was sheer nostalgia to be able to own an SHMD bus. When confronted by rusting steel framework, rotting timbers, mouldy seat fabric and flat batteries, it isn't 'alf a wake up call! Owning a railway carriage must be even worse.

Edited by coachmann

I too had worked out if you can stand square on to an elevation, just one measurement can be used to scale the details. I then use Illustrator, a relic from my working days, to scale the drawing, but a pencil and ruler wiuld be just as good and probably faster. Oblique photos are another story but there are methods out there. Better to get square on in the first place, methinks.

Does brick counting verify your efforts? No, don't answer that one, I am joking. Though I did do that on my recent latrine model. While standing looking at the wall.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

No.61 was indeed mine. I sold it to a friend (he is or was an RMweb member) and he acquired a partner.

Sadly the bus had a weak Daimler engine and I saw no future in running it after restoration (I was driving Leylands and AEC's part-time at the time and so could compare).  But back in the early 1970's it was sheer nostalgia to be able to own an SHMD bus. When confronted by rusting steel framework, rotting timbers, mouldy seat fabric and flat batteries, it isn't 'alf a wake up call! Owning a railway carriage must be even worse.

Small world, isn't it? David B was the (part) owner at the time of the trip, run by the Leeds University Railway & Transport Society. A grand day out!