CARROG in 4mm & Ruabon discussion...

coachmann

Are you using a CDU? that removed the buzz for me

No. Noisy solenoids don't worry me probably because 'noisy' is what they do. The baseboard top point motor in the goods yard merely clicks.  If I go to the trouble of replacing the current pointwork with the new Peco bullhead points, I will probably fit new point motors.

Edited by coachmann

Coach, excellent, you have just tipped me over into buying a Dukedog, have been provaricating as I have always liked them, and Wellington (Salop) was a winter home for 2 of them when they went into store ( before being returned to service in the spring).

Love the sound files.

David

• Like 1

The last of the static grass is going down today. I use an early Dyson to suck off the surplus and get the grass to stand on end in the PVA glue.  I kept telling her indoors it was only a toy but, when it began to fall apart, I was glad to use it in the railway shed for sucking off surplus ballast and lots of other jobs. 

With the news that vacs over 900 watts are on the banned list from today due to EU rules, I am dreading the day when my 'toy' 600 watt Dyson packs in. Never mind static grass and sucking off surplus ballast; the VAX  I bought for the house would lift track with it's 2,200 watts!    :scared:

I don't understand this limit on wattage, surely better to have a 5 minute flash round with 2000 watts than all day with 900......  AND the carpet will be cleaner,,,,,,

Whether it cleans better or not depends on the efficiency of the engineering in converting electrical energy to suction at the business end. LEDs after all provide just as much light as an old style filament bulb but for a fraction of the power use.

What I like are the statements which have a let out clause, such as using the words 'if', 'may', 'best', some', etc., etc.,

.... energy experts say the best (£££'s) low-power appliances clean just as well as high-wattage machines.

.... Power doesn't always equal performance, though the misconception has become widespread.

Some efficient models maintained high standards of dust pick-up while using significantly less energy - due to design innovation... 

The lower power machines are perfectly adequate.

We have animals at home = lots of hairs,  I can assure you I've yet to use a low energy vac cleaners that clears them up as well as our 1200w VAX machine.  We tried an expensive low energy machine recently, that came with all the boll-shet about will pick up anything etc.,

It didn't do a good job with the hairs, took it back and in spite of the salesman saying it was just the machine, we were told it wasn't designed to pick up hairs??????  We got our money back too, bought another 1200w VAX

I also have a 580w Henry for the car etc., but it's not that clever around the house.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I like that last video of the Dukedog, Coach. They've even got gulls calling and I'm sure I heard a car go over the station bridge, great stuff.

On the hoover debate, suction means little it's the flow of air through the machine that picks up stuff. 

Edited by Rowsley17D
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Oh, that first shot of the Crab shows such great depth to the scene, that is an illusion we would all love to create - that really looks good, really captures the feel of the real place.

Pet hair vacs - can't beat a Miele Cat and Dog. No idea how many watts, just works.  Not cheap - good!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Having been a 'dark side' (US) modeller for many years, it is noticeable that most mid to high end US rolling stock has non-magnetic axles for that very reason. 

With my engineers head on, the exhaust sound of locos is as varied as our own voices - I notice this a lot as I was trained to listen carefully to all machinery so you can tell if it makes a 'new or different' sound - meaning something has changed, usually not for the better.  GW locos have a particular sound, rather a good one as it happens, and capturing that in the decoders is for me, important.  The Dukedog was particularly good in that resect!

I have most of the Peter Handford Argo records and enjoy listening to them to identify the particular sounds of individual classes of loco.  A GW engine with a LMS 4F sound would stand out to me as incorrect, as does an incorrect beat/revolution ratio. 

• Like 4

Your layout looks superb Coachmann and that backscene has been really well integrated, wish I'd done as good a job on mine.

Just a quick comment on the attachment of things like the telgraph poles.

I read a military modelling article somewhere, a while ago, describing using neodinium mini magnets on the bottom of aerials, flagpoles and the like to attach them to scenery / models so that they can be easilly knocked over and simply put back up again afterwards. A bit of tin can burried burried into the scenery just below surface level might suffice. I've not actually tried it, just a thought.

Good morning Larry,

I believe you may have mentioned somewhere previously about the possibility of having a Dean Goods running ?

If you were to do so have you any thoughts on which sound file you would use for it ?

I only ask as I'm prompted by your last posting regarding listening to files prior to purchase so to speak.

Good morning Larry,

I believe you may have mentioned somewhere previously about the possibility of having a Dean Goods running ?

If you were to do so have you any thoughts on which sound file you would use for it ?

I only ask as I'm prompted by your last posting regarding listening to files prior to purchase so to speak.

The forthcoming Oxford Dean Goods is top of my shopping list but I haven't yet considered which soundfile to use. It will have to have the F-key #2 active brake seeing as a Dean Goods would be used for shunting the yard. Sadly there isn't a 'live one' to listen to, but it probably sounded like the Dukedog that has similar boiler and chimney. 

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 2

One of my purchases yesterday was a new copy of Martin Williams book, The Ruabon to Barmouth Line.  I assume you have a copy?  I also found a second hand copy of Cambrian Companionship by T. P. Dalton.  The latter has lots of photos of Manors as well as a chapter on "Strangers on the Cambrian".  The strangest was ex-L&YR 2-4-2T 50781 double heading a Tal-y-Llyn Special which subsequently spent several days at Machynlleth shed.  I doubt it travelled over the Ruabon Barmouth line though.

• Like 2