CARROG in 4mm & Ruabon discussion...

coachmann

• RMweb Premium

That green definitely looks darker (and better)

I looked at one in a shop a couple of months ago and my impression was the green was darker/better. Didn't buy the model so can't comment further.

Whilst Coachman looks for his pin vice and knobs,I decided to invest in a Hornby Hall too, R3499. Kernow had them, but sold out and unsure if they could get more at that price.

Nearer to home, Bure Valley have them at 54 quid + p&p.

Now, where's my 5973 plates, scalpel and sandpaper ?

Edited by DavidR
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Loose or out of line slide bars seem to be the norm on Hornby loco's of late all the heavy tanks I have had that issue, all my Halls are from the blue team they seem more robust then Hornby one I have and that's been dumped in the spares box ,slide bars gone, rods bent to buqqery, I've given up on it but when it ran it wasn't half bad. 

I have never liked the Bachmann Halls. Apart from being poorer runners with old-hat bodies, they require a lot of effort to put DCC sound in them. I did three (two were Modified Halls using Brassmaster conversion kits) and they were disappointing runners on DCC but ran well enough on DC.

Attention to slidebars was no great shakes. The Hornby Halls generally have a smooth running fly-wheel chassis. Their 'design clever' bodies are great subjects for super-detailing, although I never fit new outside steam pipes, and they are ready for DCC sound. The Railroad Tender has a lot more free space in it for the speaker. I have a few days free time ahead of me and so I am looking forward to doing yet another Hall. Owing to the Tender swap, it will probably inherit sound.

• RMweb Gold

My only Hornby GW locos with slide bars is a 42xx heavy tank, and the slidebars are fine on it, as they are on my Baccy 4575 and ancient Airfix 61xx which masquerades as a 5101.  This last loco is prone to an occasional drop of the piston from the hole in the cylinder, though!  It is my oldest stock of any sort, still runs well, in fact better than ever, and is 33 years old.

Wonder if any of my other stuff'll last that long; I certainly won't!

• RMweb Premium

I'm back home now and I've dug out my one and only 35 mm slide of the bus, a front view taken in Pickering on our trip to the NYMR in May 1977 - Barry O of this parish was there too. David "Grasscroft Halt" is definitely my University compatriot. I haven't seen him since that same summer.

I'll scan the slide when I have a chance and post it here.

As I said earlier, it's a small world.

Here's the photo, taken on Sunday 1/5/77.

post-21039-0-69917500-1506128638_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Here's the photo, taken on Sunday 1/5/77.

attachicon.gif295 SHMD Daimler 61 at Pickering 750501.jpg

That's fantastic and so nostalgic to me being born in Newton, Hyde. I've crawled all over it (David 'Grasscroft' painted the roof for me however), renewed frame timbers and panelling, then fully repainted it from the truly awful utility light green to the original dark green & cream lined out in pale green. I don't know if David painted over the cream after he bought it from me, as I inadvertently got too much yellow in the mix. I still have some original SHMD gold/black transfers for the running number '61'. Also some tunic buttons.

I occasionally wore a Joint Board drivers jacket with white arm band (for hand signals) when driving the school bus in Wales (usually a City of Oxford exposed rad AEC Regent V but sometimes an Aldershot & District Leyland PD2) in the early 1970's. If No.61 had had a Gardner engine, I would have brought the bus home to Wales but the engine was the weakest part. I was later told SELNEC sold its worst vehicles to preservation!

Sorry about the deviation from railways, but I am aware some railway enthusiast also take an interest in buses.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

That's fantastic and so nostalgic to me being born in Newton, Hyde. I've crawled all over it (David 'Grasscroft' painted the roof for me however), renewed frame timbers and panelling, then fully repainted it from the truly awful utility light green to the original dark green & cream lined out in pale green. I don't know if David painted over the cream after he bought it from me, as I inadvertently got too much yellow in the mix. I still have some original SHMD gold/black transfers for the running number '61'. Also some tunic buttons.

I occasionally wore a Joint Board drivers jacket with white arm band (for hand signals) when driving the school bus in Wales (usually a City of Oxford exposed rad AEC Regent V but sometimes an Aldershot & District Leyland PD2) in the early 1970's. If No.61 had had a Gardner engine, I would have brought the bus home to Wales but the engine was the weakest part. I was later told SELNEC sold its worst vehicles to preservation!

Sorry about the deviation from railways, but I am aware some railway enthusiast also take an interest in buses.

You're welcome Larry. If I can work out how to get my scanner to make a higher-resolution copy I'll send it to you and David by private message. Don't hold your breath though!

• Like 2

I'm also a bus enthusiast. I used to run Motor Transport magazine in the early '80s, and did my PSV test to be able to road test new coaches and buses for articles

I learnt the ropes on an ex Devon General Lodekka, with a Gardner 150 and three speed crash gearbox

I even ended up acquiring an ex BEA one and a half decker that had been used running from Cromwell Road to LHR- an unusual claim to fame!

• Like 5

I'm also a bus enthusiast. I used to run Motor Transport magazine in the early '80s, and did my PSV test to be able to road test new coaches and buses for articles

I learnt the ropes on an ex Devon General Lodekka, with a Gardner 150 and three speed crash gearbox

I even ended up acquiring an ex BEA one and a half decker that had been used running from Cromwell Road to LHR- an unusual claim to fame!

Crosville retained Lowdekka's for driver-training as you probably know even though the service fleet was semi-automatic. The thinking behind this was, if they can drive a bus with a crash box, they can drive anything. I see today's drivers swinging buses of a length undreamed of in my day but I wonder how they would go on if they also had to change their own gears ha ha.... The longest I drove were 30' PD3's. I would expect a preserved bus becomes something of an albatross in old age.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

Others post tipped-out-of-box models, so here's another new addition to the stud. I'm a sucker for these Railroad Halls and a snip at the price.... Now where's me pin vice and handrail knobs....

attachicon.gifWEB Hall @ Carrog 6.jpg

Is it my imagination or are these locos in a darker than usual green....?

attachicon.gifWEB Hall @ Carrog 7 jpg.jpg

Looks a nice model not sure if one would visit an ex GWR Branch line.

Regards

Mark

Angawdd York, railway raconteur and sheep charmer, managed to capture the train on his Soho Reflex as well....

post-6680-0-65614800-1506181444_thumb.jpg

Two of the first LMS Stanier corridor thirds to D1860. Note the shallow sliding vents and torpedo roof vents...

post-6680-0-48881900-1506181446_thumb.jpg

The D1899 with deeper window vents followed and batches were built from 1933 until 1939. The nearer coach is a D2119 which appeared in 1946 with welded underframe and continued to be built until the advent of 'Porthole' coaches in 1950...

post-6680-0-92276600-1506181447_thumb.jpg

A 1939-built D1899 with extra roof vents over the corridor. The nearer coach is another D2119 showing the two extra doors on the corridor side...

post-6680-0-54898500-1506181449_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

Movie of those coaches on test around the layout and yard. The Hornby Grange is reputed to be a slippery loco, but  modification I  made to the bogie pin obviously sorted the problem and it had no difficulty with these six brass coaches....

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Wobert (the Lisp) Woberts, news hack from the Cawwog Chwonicle, was out with his camera to record 6854 'Morehampton Grange' on the outskirts of Carrog hauling a Barmouth-Chester train this morning...

attachicon.gifWEB etched coaches 1.jpg

That's nice. It deserves G F Heiron's signature in the corner.

• Like 1

Ye olde steam in the 50's......A down ECS move slowing for the token at Carrog before getting a signal to carry on....Featuring the brass coaches again....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2KaOgf06gs

I can imagine that same train passing through Penmaenpool nearly two hours later in the day!

Very atmospheric in black and white too.  Has anyone ever actually constructed a layout in black and white?

• RMweb Premium

I can imagine that same train passing through Penmaenpool nearly two hours later in the day!

Very atmospheric in black and white too.  Has anyone ever actually constructed a layout in black and white?

Not quiet, but 50 shades of grey, a 3mm shunting diorama.

Sorry no photos, but there might be one on the Exeter show thread.

• Like 1

Beautifully smooth running there Larry - not sure about sound, still haven't made my mind up.

I wouldn't attempt to convince anyone they should adopt sound. When friend PGH (of this forum) first brought round a sound fitted American loco, I didn't 'bite'. Then he built a North American layout with DCC Sound and it kind of passed over my head. Then he asked me to pop round to see something as he had spent some weeks rewiring his colliery layout and had fitted a couple of industrials with sound. That was it for me. His 40 year old layout had been brought to life and I began thinking in terms of 'sound' from that moment.

Visitors seem to like it but I think the tiny mic on my DSLR is barely capable of picking up a decent sound, afterall, video is is merely an option on what was designed as a top rate still camera. If I filmed it on my old camcorder with a Sennheiser mic, I suspect things would sound as they should.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 4