CARROG in 4mm & Ruabon discussion...

coachmann

• RMweb Gold

Looks a nice model not sure if one would visit an ex GWR Branch line.

Regards

Mark

Herewith 6924 'Grantley Hall' shunting its train into the carriage sidings at the terminus of a 5 mile long single track ex GWR branchline  (however for much of its time the branch had previously been double line).   The branch was Route Restriction Red and regularly saw 'Halls' and 'Castles' prior to dieselisation of its through London trains.  This was the last time a 'Hall' worked a booked passenger train over the branch.

post-6859-0-49449100-1506259762_thumb.jpg

In order to keep in line with Larry's wider range of motive power here is another Red engine,  'Grange' (6825 'Llanvair Grange'), on a Sunday only ECS working which carried on with steam haulage for a little while  after the passenger services had been dieselised.

post-6859-0-07405900-1506259783_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Herewith 6924 'Grantley Hall' shunting its train into the carriage sidings at the terminus of a 5 mile long single track ex GWR branchline  (however for much of its time the branch had previously been double line).   The branch was Route Restriction Red and regularly saw 'Halls' and 'Castles' prior to dieselisation of its through London trains.  This was the last time a 'Hall' worked a booked passenger train over the branch.

attachicon.gifUntitled Hall.jpg

In order to keep in line with Larry's wider range of motive power here is another Red engine,  'Grange' (6825 'Llanvair Grange'), on a Sunday only ECS working which carried on with steam haulage for a little while  after the passenger services had been dieselised.

attachicon.gifUntitled Gange.jpg

That BCK is on B4 bogies!  1962?  But I'm stumped for location.

• RMweb Gold

Henley: not 'cos I'm clever, but because I'm familiar with The Stationmasters thread "The Stationmaster Says Goodbye to Steam at Henley-On-Thames" and I recognise the signal gantry in the background.

Paul.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Angawdd York, railway raconteur and sheep charmer, managed to capture the train on his Soho Reflex as well....

attachicon.gifWEB etched coaches 2.jpg

Two of the first LMS Stanier corridor thirds to D1860. Note the shallow sliding vents and torpedo roof vents...

attachicon.gifWEB etched coaches 3.jpg

The D1899 with deeper window vents followed and batches were built from 1933 until 1939. The nearer coach is a D2119 which appeared in 1946 with welded underframe and continued to be built until the advent of 'Porthole' coaches in 1950...

attachicon.gifWEB etched coaches 4.jpg

A 1939-built D1899 with extra roof vents over the corridor. The nearer coach is another D2119 showing the two extra doors on the corridor side...

attachicon.gifWEB etched coaches 5.jpg

Nice train Larry, but where's the brake van?

Andy G

Nice train Larry, but where's the brake van?

Andy G

Pesky Kadee's....It was slipped on a magnet in the station....   :biggrin_mini2:

I altered two CV's on the 64XX tank and filmed it this afternoon. It came into the station coasting, automatically went into a quiet chuff, then I pressed a button to increase the speed by one notch  and the exhaust sounded like the driver had yanked open the regulator. Great, until the train passed and I saw no brake van!   :mad:

• Like 1

A brand new Austin lorry like the one in the yard used to park at the end of our street every dinnertime. Our coal was delivered by horse & cart as was the milk and the groceries. Horses were taken for granted, but we knew the steam lorry we saw every day was quite a rarity.  The withdrawn LMS wagon with its side dropped open was only a prop and has since been removed to allow an extra wagon to dump its load in the coal staithes. I looked at extending the coal siding further but was faced with removing the slope road into the yard....It was to much trouble ...

post-6680-0-00658000-1506283116.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Cwmdimbath has no goods shed, just a loading dock with an office and a Will's pagoda doing duty as a lock up store.  In fact, there is no coal yard either; what is this nonsense I hear you cry, but in a mining village coal came from the colliery, sometimes by means that do not bear close examination...

I was a little concerned about the limitations this would impose on operating, but find that I actually like the 'quart into a pint pot' discipline and planning it enforces me to employ.  And, IMHO, it looks right for this very laterally compressed hillside location, hemmed between the river and the mountain.  The real Dimbath valley is a very steep sided and narrow one; actually putting a railway into it, never mind a village and a mine, would have required a lot of perching on hillsides and precarious solutions!

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 3

Larry, you just reminded me of my age.  At the top of the old, old Bull Ring (that's in Birmingham for the Londoners out there) there used to be two horse and carts stationed on the original cobble stones.  The horses had two bags, one at the front with oats, one at the rear, with you know what.  These memories survive while lots of events in between are lost.

Penmaenpool had no enclosed goods shed, just a lock up shed on a short loading platform.  Seems it would be appropriate for Carrog as well?

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Larry, you just reminded me of my age.  At the top of the old, old Bull Ring (that's in Birmingham for the Londoners out there) there used to be two horse and carts stationed on the original cobble stones.  The horses had two bags, one at the front with oats, one at the rear, with you know what.  These memories survive while lots of events in between are lost.

Now that is going back a bit. 'Official' street trading at the top of the Bull Ring finished in September 1959 for the start of the redevelopment and building of the Inner Ring Road. 

• RMweb Gold

Plus it's in chocolate and cream.  Not the Bristolian set, surely?

Chris

No, just typical 1960s

With due apologies to Larry for trampling all over his thread here's a link to the thread whence these pictures came and mentioned earlier by '5 Bar VT'.  And as anyone who looked carefully at the picture of the 'Grange' would see the Choc & Cream vehicle could just as readily be an example of Mr Hawksworth's coach designing skills; note also what's behind the 'Castle' - we are in the era of piebald (or skewbald?) WR trains.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/66922-the-stationmaster-says-goodbye-to-steam-at-henley-on-thames/

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

A brand new Austin lorry like the one in the yard used to park at the end of our street every dinnertime. Our coal was delivered by horse & cart as was the milk and the groceries. Horses were taken for granted, but we knew the steam lorry we saw every day was quite a rarity.  The withdrawn LMS wagon with its side dropped open was only a prop and has since been removed to allow an extra wagon to dump its load in the coal staithes. I looked at extending the coal siding further but was faced with removing the slope road into the yard....It was to much trouble ...

attachicon.gifWEB Coal siding 8.jpg

Did you buy or make the coal sacks Larry?

• RMweb Premium

The lorry certainly looks the part. It looks like one of these https://hattonsimages.blob.core.windows.net/products/EM76306-LN01_3225361_Qty1_box.jpg

Going back to the brake van, wouldn't it have been reasonable to leave it on the main line if there were no other trains due before the goods wended its way to its next stop?

Edited by brushman47544

The sacks (I think) are by Ratio. I bought them when building Greenfeld so its a few years ago. I sprayed them grey-ish......It looks better than black.

The lorry certainly looks the part. It looks like one of these https://hattonsimages.blob.core.windows.net/products/EM76306-LN01_3225361_Qty1_box.jpg

Going back to the brake van, wouldn't it have been reasonable to leave it on the main line if there were no other trains due before the goods wended its way to its next stop?

Not sure what you mean here. If the goods arrives in the up direction, then yes, the goods brake is left on the running line. However, with a Down good goods, it is the more convenient to do the shunting with the goods brake attached.

• Like 1

Ash path to the cattle dock. It will look more the part tomorrow. I'm a bit short of cattle wagons at the moment....

attachicon.gifWEB Cattle dock 5.jpg

The 'scenery' is basic at the moment. Platform fencing and railway boundary fencing has yet to be erected....

attachicon.gifWEB Cattle dock 6.jpg

A Peco catch point could not be inserted due to  an 'S' curve being necessary off the point, so something looking like a catch-point will have to be fabricated. The siding has been wired for continuous sound so that a loco can be left simmering on a cattle train while other traffic passes through the station.

Will there be a Cinder track from the C/D steps along to a crossing at the end of the Platform Larry?

• Like 2