CARROG in 4mm & Ruabon discussion...

coachmann

Really enjoy following this excellent layout Larry and progress is truly impressive. I like the changes that you have imposed from the original plan will certainly create more interesting shunting movements.. 

You have done well to get permission from the farmer who owns the field behind the Down platform he is not known locally for being very co operative towards the railway as some years ago he erected a notice to remind photographers about 'trespass' .....would seem that the power of the GWR has been too much  :triniti:

• Like 2

Many farmers do have the ultimate weapon - a bull!  My experience doing geological fieldwork in northern England in the late 1960s was that a particular farmer in Ingleton knew we were mapping a particular geological feature and decided to have some fun by putting his prize bull in the same long field we were mapping.  One of my colleagues got caught out and was chased by the bull, virtually running straight through a stone wall.  My friend lived to tell the tale many times over!  

I have also experienced the anger of a "frisky" cow in what was known as Westmorland.  They can be more fearsome than bulls because they chase with their heads up rather than down.  Wild eyes and long horns can be very scary!  Maybe these accounts would scare off a few trespassing "townies"?

• Like 3

Many farmers do have the ultimate weapon - a bull!  My experience doing geological fieldwork in northern England in the late 1960s was that a particular farmer in Ingleton knew we were mapping a particular geological feature and decided to have some fun by putting his prize bull in the same long field we were mapping.  One of my colleagues got caught out and was chased by the bull, virtually running straight through a stone wall.  My friend lived to tell the tale many times over!  

I have also experienced the anger of a "frisky" cow in what was known as Westmorland.  They can be more fearsome than bulls because they chase with their heads up rather than down.  Wild eyes and long horns can be very scary!  Maybe these accounts would scare off a few trespassing "townies"?

Even in the New Forest you have to be careful. :no:

post-9335-0-87500600-1506414987_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-67041200-1506415019_thumb.jpg

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 8

Pesky Kadee's....It was slipped on a magnet in the station....   :biggrin_mini2:

I altered two CV's on the 64XX tank and filmed it this afternoon. It came into the station coasting, automatically went into a quiet chuff, then I pressed a button to increase the speed by one notch  and the exhaust sounded like the driver had yanked open the regulator. Great, until the train passed and I saw no brake van!   :mad:

That driver was obviously too quick and heavy handed! The poor guard never had time to take his handbrake off after slowing, so the snatch broke the coupling, leaving Goods Guard Jenkins A over T on the van floor! ;)

Larry, you just reminded me of my age.  At the top of the old, old Bull Ring (that's in Birmingham for the Londoners out there) there used to be two horse and carts stationed on the original cobble stones.  The horses had two bags, one at the front with oats, one at the rear, with you know what.  These memories survive while lots of events in between are lost.

Penmaenpool had no enclosed goods shed, just a lock up shed on a short loading platform.  Seems it would be appropriate for Carrog as well?

The Goods Shed at Ffrwd Locks is based on the Wills Goods Yard Store, on a Wills Brick Sheet platform, with a Wills Crane....

(Inspired by the PECO N Gauge Goods Shed....A shame PECO don't make the same kit in OO!)

post-12119-0-15542100-1506450381_thumb.jpg

post-12119-0-15755700-1506450499_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Looking good, Larry, and that Dukedog has me drooling.  I have one in OO gauge which was acquired a few years ago in GWR livery, but I am now thinking of the announced 7mm scale JLTRT Dukedog which should be available sometime in 2018.  Pete Waterman showed off the prototype at Telford and it is going to be an outstanding model!

The Bachmann Dukedog runs well for an RTR 4-4-0, and slow running is just how I like it - slooow!

Paul

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Oh-oh...but I don't like the cattle dock.  the siding is OK, but as you say, it sticks up rather and doesn't flow into the scene.  In my 'umble opinion, m'lud.

Oh-oh...but I don't like the cattle dock.  The siding is OK, but as you say, it sticks up rather and doesn't flow into the scene.  In my 'umble opinion, m'lud.

Edit - the van looks OK though....why is that?

Is it because the cattle dock is now at the front of the layout?  If had never been on the other side of the tracks would you still think it is "sticking up"?

I doubt if many cattle docks were surrounded by a hedge or shrubs - why would they be - but that might help to "lower" it visually.

I think its because its the only structure there. If there was some acumulated detritus, or even some more under(over?)growth,

the balance will get better. Maybe a small tree or two?

No matter how well kept the P'way was back then, there would have been more accumulation there once the siding had been built.

I'm sure you will have better ideas than mine, all the best with your deliberations.

• Like 1

Railing and grass went in today with the former pretty well following how it was at Carrog with no influence from the re positioned cattle dock....

attachicon.gifWEB Cattle dock 7.jpg

The railing were seen to be leaning and so have been propped up overnight with heavy chisels...

attachicon.gifWEB Cattle dock 11.jpg

While Carrog is getting somewhere, albeit slowly, this view shows the cattle dock sticking up like a sore thumb and I feel  it detracts from the scene....

attachicon.gifWEB Cattle dock 12.jpg

IMO the posts and rails look too heavy (over scale) and the wrong colour.

Something like the image below would be less obtrusive,  Search google images for railway cattle dock and you will see loads more styles.

As you are in sheep country why not have a slighly lower height and less substantial iron work, then fill it with sheep instead of cattle. :scratchhead:

post-15323-0-34910300-1506464053_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I've been giving that siding some thought as it seems a shame to lift it.  Seeing as the goods yard proper is cramped, I could store cattle trucks in that siding then when they are needed, they could be transferred over to the goods yard cattle pens after the goods vans had been moved out of the way. Vee haff veys....

• Like 3

IMO the posts and rails look too heavy (over scale) and the wrong colour.

Something like the image below would be less obtrusive,  Search google images for railway cattle dock and you will see loads more styles.

As you are in sheep country why not have a slighly lower height and less substantial iron work, then fill it with sheep instead of cattle. :scratchhead:

attachicon.gifbrass cattle dock.jpg

The Dee Valley is very good cattle country, the Rhug Estate just west of Corwen raises excellent Welsh beef as well as bison. The farm shop comes highly recommended if you are in the area! But I do like the idea of iron railings to lighten the structure.

Dunn how much time i will be able ot spend on it today

Larry,

Is this an epiphany moment ????????

I'm so pleased that you nowadays seem to be able to resist the impulse to rip up your recently completed hard work.

Congratulations,

John Isherwood.

Oh I dunno John. Old habits die hard and I prefer testing things to destruction seeing as they are easily altered if they don't satisfy.  I am giving Carrog the benefit of the doubt in the weeks that remain before winter shut down,and seeing as this strip of scenery behind the Down platform was the last area to be done, it was inevitable I would have a mess around before arriving at a final decision.

Some modellers on arriving in old age have a lifetime of layout building behind them on which to draw experience and ideas. I didn't. The layouts I built while living in Oldham were not possible in North Wales because of growing children and therefore lack of space. I conducted my business in a garden shed for 14 years. When we finally moved to a new home with room to create an indoor studio in the mid 1980's, a model railway was far from my mind.  Once Carrog is settled, and it will be this week, I think forthcoming locos like the Dean Goods, DCC sound developments and constructing GWR coaches will keep me more than satisfied.

• Like 8

I've been giving that siding some thought as it seems a shame to lift it.  Seeing as the goods yard proper is cramped, I could store cattle trucks in that siding then when they are needed, they could be transferred over to the goods yard cattle pens after the goods vans had been moved out of the way. Vee haff veys....

Another possibility (excuse ?) for an additional siding at Carrog is a private siding that served a slate quarry. 

Similar sidings existed each side of Carrog at Penarth to the west and Glyndyfrydwy to the east.  These once had direct tramway connections to their respective slate quarries, but another quarry perhaps more remote from the railway could have used road transport to bring the slate for loading at their own siding at Carrog.  Being a private siding this would explain why its separate from the goods yard.  The only facility necessary would be a loading bank.

• Like 2

Another possibility (excuse ?) for an additional siding at Carrog is a private siding that served a slate quarry. 

Similar sidings existed each side of Carrog at Penarth to the west and Glyndyfrydwy to the east.  These once had direct tramway connections to their respective slate quarries, but another quarry perhaps more remote from the railway could have used road transport to bring the slate for loading at their own siding at Carrog.  Being a private siding this would explain why its separate from the goods yard.  The only facility necessary would be a loading bank.

Thanks Philip,  A good idea. I would have to build as better access road, probably cobbled to give grip on the sloping field. It is food for though for later in the day.

• Like 2

Thanks Philip,  A good idea. I would have to build as better access road, probably cobbled to give grip on the sloping field. It is food for though for later in the day.

I Like, I like I like. Just a small Hut and a Loading Dock, yes, nice.

• RMweb Gold

The new arrangement reminds me of Thame, where a siding (bay?) line was converted to cattle use, with a new access road. This was on the opposite side of the line to the other goods facilities, and the original cattle dock.

Dave

• RMweb Gold

A thought has just occurred to me. I don't normally post images that almost look alike, but these are for a purpose. Looking towards the end of the platforms, I personally feel the point leading to the cattle dock doesn't look too bad even though no such has ever existed on the prototype...

attachicon.gifWEB Cattle dock 9.jpg

......And the appearance of Carrog doesn't look too compromised...

attachicon.gifWEB Cattle dock 10.jpg

A van or wagon in that siding doesn't look bad, but maybe because I know Carrog so well, the cattle dock sticking up in the field looks awful. I would value a bit of feedback on this...

attachicon.gifWEB Cattle dock 8.jpg

I think if you ask 10 people you'll probably get 12 different answers (unless they're lawyers in which case you'd get about 40 different answers and have to pay for them).

So here are my answers, various -

1. The cattle dock looked better where it was before you moved but it doesn't look too bad to me where it is now.

2. To me the use of a facing point to lead to the cattle dock looks wrong as it's so very much out of the period feel of the rest of the station track layout.  (if it was trailing point out of the opposite running line through a diamond it would look much better - but would involve a major rebuild of course.

3. I can't really understand any worry about a goods shed - there was a goods & parcels lock-up at the back of the platform which you reproduced rather nicely and which I have a feeling would have been more than adequate for the level of 'goods smalls' traffic handled at Carrog at any point in its long life.  Quite typical of numerous small GWR stations, and many small stations didn't even have that much of a 'goods' facility as they were originally served by Station trucks which were loaded/unloaded at the station platform. 

4.  But if you're going to keep the cattle dock there provide proper road access, I can't think of one that wasn't accessed by some sort of road or lane.

5.  Cattle docks with metal railings (and usually concrete posts) instead of wholly timber construction seem to be a later development, some earlier ones definitely survived with 100% timber railing construction. For example the one at Twyford, where a quick photo check has confirmed my memories of 50 years ago, was wholly timber construction right up to its end - which came quite a few years after it had ceased to be used - and was after dieselisation of the branch trains using the adjacent bay platform.

• Like 3