CARROG in 4mm & Ruabon discussion...

coachmann

Very much like the underneath of Kings Moreton Ray, but yours is tidy :O  and my Bus Bar is along the front edge as as a loom as I cant turn my boards over. My only inter Board connectors are the 2 Bus wires, as you have and the Points and Signal Feeds, but basically it's 2 wires and track droppers for each meter of track and each point.

It seems many of my fellow countrymen want "easy". I got this in my teens when I started work in the late 1950's. Why should everything be easy?  DCC Sound isn't simple but it is learnable and well worth the effort as far as I am concerned. This thread is about doing and building things. People who seize every opportunity to tell us they dont like DCC should consider starting thier own thread. Now that is easy!

Larry,

A little light humour - nothing more. :)

..... and I do have several threads - all of which are about doing and building things.

I have nothing but admiration for your work.

Regards,

John.

I just showed my daughter the above in landscape mode and she is really impressed. It's always interesting to get another independent opinion.

• Like 1

Testing out trees at 'tother end. Everything you see here is readily available....

Hi Coach.

I'm sure these trees are just for test purposes to get a feel for the scene. They do rather resemble flue brushes, if you don't mind me saying so?

Dave.

Hi Coach.

I'm sure these trees are just for test purposes to get a feel for the scene. They do rather resemble flue brushes, if you don't mind me saying so?

Dave.

:cry:     Hey up............. I'm flabbergasted. in fact my flabber has never been so gasted.  It took me ages to saw the handles off!  I thought anything would do.  It's enough to send a bloke round the bend. I lav a tinker with them in the morning...  

Edited by coachmann

After a PM to Larry earlier re the Loo Brushes whoops sorry Larry TREES, I can now safely say in public, that I know Larry can do better, and no doubt will in time.

Larry, Kevin / KNP / Little Muddle, has written a wonderful article on Tree making, I'm sure he would be happy to share his endeavours with you, as he has with me, I now need to read it to make some of the 100 or so that I'll need for KM.

• Like 3

Well, I remember a monkey puzzle tree in Oswestry, surrounded on three sides by Wales.  Close but no cigar.

There used to be a New Zealander, Sweven, on RMWeb who made great trees for his model of Studley and Astwood Bank in "The Archers" country.  He suddenly stopped which is a real shame.  Look at this topic, starting in the middle of page 14:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/82563-the-buildings-of-studley-and-astwood-bank/page-14

I was so inspired I went out to photograph winter trees in Warwickshire:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/82563-the-buildings-of-studley-and-astwood-bank/?p=1807895

All you need is multi-stranded speaker wire!

• Like 2

After hacking a tree with redundant scissors to no avail, they will be clumped together to form Loobrush Alley.  At £2.95 a throw, I ain't chucking them away.  :pardon:

It has been dark here all day; a waste of day in fact, but the weather prospects are looking good from tomorrow onward.  Cork underlay has been cut ready for relaying 6 feet of track across the embankment. Should make for a pleasant day outdoors.

Edited by coachmann

After hacking a tree with redundant scissors to no avail, they will be clumped together to form Loobrush Alley.  At £2.95 a throw, I ain't chucking them away.  :pardon:

You tight git, Larry,  :O you chuck away loads of £10 points Meters of Cork, and yards of £3 Track and your not even willing to Re Cycle your old Loo Brushes, :no:  :no:  :no:  :no: ahhaha

Edited by Andrew P

You tight git, Larry,  :O you chuck away loads of £10 points Meters of Cork, and yards of £3 Track and your not even willing to Re Cycle your old Loo Brushes, :no:  :no:  :no:  :no: ahhaha

I know.......But I can improve on trackwork, but trees are something else and I am sure making realistic ones is an art. Even if super-dooper trees were discovered for a song, would they really improve the bit of baseboard they stand on? I think not. My broad brush approach has just changed to a loo-brush approach.....  :mosking:

Edited by coachmann

The SHMD Board bus garage in Ashton-U-Lyne was mentioned some posts ago. This photo was taken on the 'Ponderosa' bus park in 1970 and shows the car we rebuilt using a Wolseley and most of Merf Jones's engineless Morris. Painting it in the then new bus colours seemed a good idea at the time! John Holmes, well known bus photographer and historian, accompanied me in the car on a tour of the various SELNEC towns for a wheeze. Little did I know at the time I would be buying one of the buses...

attachicon.gifWEB SHMD & Morris.jpg

Nice to see the Morris again, I had lost my copy of this photo so have saved it now. Looked better than the original grey.

• Like 1

A sunny day so I set too and removed the damaged track and cork base. I could see the cork itself had been compressed with the fretsaw a few weeks ago after track was removed.  Once down to 'baseboard', it was well sanded down....

attachicon.gifWEB relay 1.jpg

I also made good a section of super-elevation by gluing down 1/16" cork and sanding it to profile afterwards....

attachicon.gifWEB relay 2.jpg

1/8" cork was then glued down with impact adhesive and checked for level etc....

attachicon.gifWEB relay 3.jpg

A  ballast edge was made with the electric sander....

attachicon.gifWEB Relay 4.jpg

Peco bullhead track was cut to length and joined up and the curves loosely laid out to ensure everything would go well at the gluing stage....

attachicon.gifWEB Relay 5.jpg

The track was taken outside and sprayed with Howes Railmatch 'Sleeper Grime'..... Marvelous paint....

attachicon.gifWEB Relay 6.jpg

When dry, the cord was spread with neat PVA, the track laid and connected up, curved to profile and ballasted with dark brown ballast. Strips of 3" X 1" were cut and laid on the track along with books....

attachicon.gifWEB Relay 7.jpg

Happy days aye Larry, bet your really pleased now, it's still sunny here, so I've had my coffee and off back outside again.

Looks excellent.

• Like 1

Re-lay completed, grass put back and ash cess put down. The latter cannot be filed down to dust until tomorrow. The rails have also been painted rust colour. Electrics will be soldered back tomorrow as well. 

attachicon.gifWEB relay 8.jpg

View towards Pont Lewbrwsh ....... :imsohappy:

attachicon.gifWEB Relay 9.jpg

I thought that was spelt Pont Llwbrysh? :)

Edited by Sarahagain
  • Like 1

You would hardly know that the builders had been in.

I agree looking at photos. But my best running coach (Bachmann Hawksworth Auto Trailer) glides along now, as it did before Herr Dopey b*ggered things up good style. It is a job i have been putting off for weeks.

Anyway, I can now tidy up the whole shed and remove all the scenic materials, tools and everything else that have buried the fiddle yard tracks for too long. As from now, it is all small detail modelling.

• Like 6

Famous last words.

I couldn't believe it when I saw you'd ripped up the running line, glad it's all back as it was.

Seriously, it should not have happened. Peco Code 75 and 100 flat bottom rail is fully supported along its length and resting a jigsaw on the track while making a cut beside the embankment would not normally have done any damage. But bullhead rail is only supported at each chair. In addition, the chairs are easily crushed and i ended up with a right mess of running line. New lengths of rail were threaded through the chairs but it only partially put right the mess, so I knew a complete re-lay was on the cards.