CARROG in 4mm & Ruabon discussion...

coachmann

Sorry to prolong this, but WD's were known as 'Iron Lungs' on Tyne Dock shed - the noise when coasting....very worn bearings and sonorous metal rods.

Always dubdees in my youth.

Fowler 0-6-0's were Ducks. And Ivatt type 2 46400 class were known as Cauliflowers. 

Most excitement at Tamworth Low Level was following a shout of "Semi on the Double Clanger".

Sorry Coach. Carrog is exceptional and I'm enjoying the thread immensely.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

According to Mr. Whittaker (Buton on Trent), the WD locos were known as "Ozzies" from Austerities. Along with the "Duck Eights" there were also "Duck Sixes", I presume the LMS 3F and possibly 4F 0-6-0 Tender locos? "8 Freight" is obviously the LMS 8F 2-8-0s.

"Semi" was usually the name for an ex Streamlind "Princess Coronation", with the sloping smokebox retained until replacement.

I've read or heard "Black 8" but I can't remember where or when.

• RMweb Gold

Threads can wonder off course, but I hope the number of 'likes' show how much people appreciate seeing your work. I'm in awe of your painting skills, the off-the-cuff statement that something is going to be painted / adjusted / weathered & then reappears seemingly straight away is amazing to me!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

reappears seemingly straight away is amazing to me!

Yes, it's not just the quality of your stuff, Larry, but the effortless speed at which you seem to produce it.

That might have been in The Illustrated Monthly Gricethusiast a few years ago.

Yes, it's not just the quality of your stuff, Larry, but the effortless speed at which you seem to produce it.

Thank you very much. Speed is essential in business if one is to make a decent living out of painting & lining, so I doubt I will ever reduce speed........Its a habit.

Today there are no projects................ Friend PGH is kindly hard-wiring DCC sound into an Oxford GWR Dean Goods for me and I can't wait to get my hands on it................ So in the meantime, I am going out to 'play with the trainset'.  :biggrin_mini2:

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 10

The Hughes 'Crab' has been misbehaving by derailing its pony truck  ~  and always when I'm filming! Replacing the Gibson wheels with the original Bachmann wheels only served to make things worse, as the wider tread reduced the amount of space between the front steps. Anyway, the steps were broken off and glued back in front of 60thou spacers. Success....

post-6680-0-16580700-1509295804_thumb.jpg

post-6680-0-62104200-1509295650.jpg

• Like 11

Friend PGH is kindly hard-wiring DCC sound into an Oxford GWR Dean Goods for me and I can't wait to get my hands on it................ 

Its done   :good:  - Zimo MX645 + YouChoos speaker + 470uF capacitor.  I was hoping to fit a larger capacitor, but with pickups on 5 wheels each side, lack of contact shouldn't be a problem.

post-14569-0-58857500-1509312762.jpg

• Like 7

Its done   :good:  - Zimo MX645 + YouChoos speaker + 470uF capacitor.  I was hoping to fit a larger capacitor, but with pickups on 5 wheels each side, lack of contact shouldn't be a problem.

attachicon.gifDean Goods Zimo.jpg

What a tease ....  :triniti:

Now desperate anticipating Larry's video of this running with sound. My Dean Goods is still somewhere on the high seas so this is a real appetite wetter.

Keep up the excellent work.

Best

Chris

A nice surprise to take to bed with me Philip. I'll be in touch in the morning, but not too early  :mosking:

I must say the whole set up looks very neat and takes up far less space than I expected. Removal of the 8-pin socket has plainly left a lot more room for things.

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Premium

Pretty certainly modeller's invention "black" fives were called that to distinguish them from red ones (Jubilees), there were never any red 8s or for that matter 8s of any sort on the LMS. There was a wide difference between the nicknames trainspotters used and those of the enginemen, if we talked to them about locos they usually didn't know what we were referring to and vice versa.

I too am looking forward to hearing the Dean Goods sounds.  Although an older GWR design I would think the sounds should suit a large number of smaller two cylinder GWR locos.  I personally find the SWD Swindon sound files to be cumbersome to operate, whereas my ex-LMS locos are easier to operate with Zimo decoders (and the Digitrains sound files that were available at the time).  I am in the market for a sound file for my 74XX pannier and although the Dean Goods design is a good deal older, could this sound file be the one?

But the most satisfying setup I have is the Ivatt 2MT Mogul you sold me with Locoman sounds.  It's the most "steamy" loco in my roster, so much so you can almost see and smell the steam as it moves off shed.  I haven't filmed it yet but I will, when I return to France.

Paul

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Pretty certainly modeller's invention "black" fives were called that to distinguish them from red ones (Jubilees), there were never any red 8s or for that matter 8s of any sort on the LMS. There was a wide difference between the nicknames trainspotters used and those of the enginemen, if we talked to them about locos they usually didn't know what we were referring to and vice versa.

'Black' and 'Red' 5s, 5MT and 5XP respectively in the original LMS power classification, were called this by LMS enginemen of the time, and the name 'Black 5' continued to be used to the end of steam, because the locos of course remained black.  The subject of railwaymans' and spotters' names for locos is a very complex one and varies from area to area even within regions.  For instance, at Canton in the 70s a 'Crompton' was a class 45 or 46, and the name was understood throughout the area Canton men worked over.  Spotters called them 'Peaks', which is really only strictly correct for class 44; remember these locos were all rather clumsily classed as 'BR Type 4 1Co-Co1 Diesel Electric' pre TOPS, so it is hardly surprising that people found alternative ways of describing them!

At Canton at least, nothing without bristles was ever called a Brush.  Class 47 were 'Sulzers' and class 31 were 'Mirlees'.  Hymeks were Hymeks and Westerns were Westerns, though, when they weren't being referred to GW style as '7 thousands' or 'Thousands'.  Class 37 were not 'English Electric Type 3 Diesel Electrics', they were D68s GW style even when they were D69s or D66s.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That 64xx sound video is top stuff Larry. What I really like about sound locos on your layout is the illusion of distance from them being outside, it really makes the sound picture so much more authentic than what I can do on my layout as the locos never really sound like they are “going away” or coming in from a distance. It’s really made me think about how I can do something similar, perhaps through sound deadening material or the like.

Keep up the great work!

Cheers

Tony

Larry

The 64XX sounds good and is a better alternative, in my opinion, to the SWD Group 1 file.  It may not have all the Swindon sounds, but looks like it can be "driven properly" which I was not always able to do with my 14XX.

I thought you might like to see the point where I stopped converting a tender drive Hornby Dean Goods to a Hornby/Comet Dean Goods.  The principle improvement was removing the tender drive and the mountain of coal that covered it.  It was going to be a stalwart on my 1935 era 4mm scale OO gauge layout of Shipston on Stour which is currently mothballed due to the fact that I couldn't model the fine details - one reason why there are no lamp irons but also the fact that I decided to switch to 7mm scale!

post-20733-0-17799400-1509366269_thumb.jpg

The loco has a Comet chassis with Mashima motor installed.  I wasn't planning on fitting a sound decoder, just a DCC chip.  If I ever re-instate the model, which I really should, I will probably find a way to add sound.

Paul

• Like 6

Larry

The 64XX sounds good and is a better alternative, in my opinion, to the SWD Group 1 file.  It may not have all the Swindon sounds, but looks like it can be "driven properly" which I was not always able to do with my 14XX.

I thought you might like to see the point where I stopped converting a tender drive Hornby Dean Goods to a Hornby/Comet Dean Goods.  The principle improvement was removing the tender drive and the mountain of coal that covered it.  It was going to be a stalwart on my 1935 era 4mm scale OO gauge layout of Shipston on Stour which is currently mothballed due to the fact that I couldn't model the fine details - one reason why there are no lamp irons but also the fact that I decided to switch to 7mm scale!

The loco has a Comet chassis with Mashima motor installed.  I wasn't planning on fitting a sound decoder, just a DCC chip.  If I ever re-instate the model, which I really should, I will probably find a way to add sound.

Paul

I have always found Digitrains decoders very easy to set up and easy to drive afterwards. With YouChoos decoders, it is more a case of trial & error getting the 'secondary' exhaust to click in (quieter exhaust after the loco had gotten into its stride). I have to say I am drawn to youChoos because their sounds can be sampled and compared with real locos on YouTube videos.

Edited by coachmann

Regarding sound for a 74XX Pannier, Digitrains ZS017 sound (L&Y 2-4-2T) is in my 64XX, but it suits me. 

This is my second attempt at posting....BT Broadband has been awful for a week now.

Nice.  I like the whistle, is that a function?

I have also done some little video's and the sound is a bit tinny on the video clips compared with the real side.  Do you find the same?

Nice.  I like the whistle, is that a function?

I have also done some little video's and the sound is a bit tinny on the video clips compared with the real side.  Do you find the same?

I have the whistles on F-key's #2 and #3. I agree the sound is tinnier than in actuality and put this down to the mic's on the digital SLR cameras.

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Gold

These sorts of technological 'advance' are not for the benefit of customers, but for increased profitability which the supplier cunningly disguises as 'remaining competitive' or 'providing the best possible service'.  But we are drifting OT.