CARROG in 4mm & Ruabon discussion...

coachmann

What a lovely morning ~ not!  After putting a sound decoder back in the Dukedog, it uttered not a dicky bird. I read the locos address and it said ERROR 2. I lifted the Tender underframe so that daylight could pass between everything to see if any wires were touching.  Ah, an unattached wire! Circuit board dismantled, I traced the wiring and found it came from the pick-ups so I looked to where it should be attached and saw a malformed spot of solder.  After soldering the black wire in place, yet another 'read' still displayed error.  Then the phone rang.... Agh...!

I put the decoder back on it's 21 pins and but I had put it back upside down except that it was the right way up!!!   :blush_mini:   Dozey old git.

Edited by coachmann

Having adopted Kadee couplings, I was in no mind to fit these to the Bachmann bogies I use on handbuilt brass coaches and so these RTR coaches plus some ex. GWR corridor brake thirds have provided the answer....Kaydee to couple to locos and tension locks to other coaches.

post-6680-0-31548200-1508413419_thumb.jpg

As usual, I raised the body to match other coaches by inserting 20thou spacers between the bogies and the body. Also the carmine red looked like something on the South Devon Railway so I resprayed it with a more accurate carmine red and then lined it out again....

post-6680-0-06680500-1508413418_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

Some new coaches had their underframes weathered along with an Oxford Dean Goods yesterday. A new DCC sound decoder arrived today and was promptly put in the recently painted Hornby 'Hall' after cutting a rectangle in the Tenders cast weight to accommodate a YouChoos Flame12 speaker.  Trouble is I can't show anything in this weather.

Edited by coachmann

Larry, just wanted to say how much I am enjoying this thread.  Your speed of progress and quality of work is astonishing.  I also wanted to say that your idea of using Kadee to couple to the engine is something I agree with.  I did the same but used Tony Wright's hook and bar system between coaches.  My rationale was that coach rakes were permanent when on the layout with the only requirement that locos can be easily decoupled for run round.

John

Larry, just wanted to say how much I am enjoying this thread.  Your speed of progress and quality of work is astonishing.  I also wanted to say that your idea of using Kadee to couple to the engine is something I agree with.  I did the same but used Tony Wright's hook and bar system between coaches.  My rationale was that coach rakes were permanent when on the layout with the only requirement that locos can be easily decoupled for run round.

John

Thank you. I agree Tony's hook and bar couplings between coach rakes do look neat. Kadees are fitted to both ends of all my RTR stock seeing as popping them into NEM sockets takes no time at all. But I can live with Bachmann couplings between coaches, which can be propelled without fear of derailing and landing on the lawn or pathway. There are Roco couplings between the 64XX and auto trailer to keep the pair rigid so that they work as one unit. The trailer was too-ing and fro-ing when Kadees or Bachmanns were fitted.

Edited by coachmann

Hi Larry, is it an optical illusion or are those buffers on M 26667 M bent up?

That's handy. The chassis slipped out of my mit during spraying and I hadn't noticed the buffers had copped it.  They're okay now so I'm glad you spotted the damage.

Edited by coachmann

Larry, I found that there is a certain amount of 'hunting' between coaches with most coupling types if the coaches are fitted with close coupling mechanisms. I've started using Keen Systems buckeyes between them now, with Kadees on the rake ends. Second item on this page. http://www.keen-systems.com/Couplings.html . Alternatively, these can be utilised. http://www.hattons.co.uk/17740/Hornby_R8220_NEM_pocket_close_coupling_x_10/StockDetail.aspx

PGH came around this afternoon so he grabbed the camera while I worked the train.  The Hughes 'Crab' was on trial but very soon began to jump about like a dogs hind leg with St.Vitus. The chassis was bone dry (the wheels had been lathe turned some years ago), so oil did the trick...

A work of art :)  Looks great.  Absolutely love the whole setup! 

I guess the nest step in model realism will be- drivers that automatically face the direction of travel controlled by DCC...  

• Like 4

The 'Hall' is now fitted with sound and is shown on a Barmouth train slowing for Carrog (the Down platform is locked out) before accelerating on past the station....

I do like that sound!  But when the Hall got to Barmouth they looked back and the bridge had disappeared!

Until I watched a few of your steam sound videos, I wasn't convinced about steam sound. Now I am seriously considering it. Maybe I need to thin my fleet out to pay for it.

• Like 1

Ex.Works 'Hall' entering Carrog (down platform switched out) with Barmouth bound train....

attachicon.gifWEB Hall @ Carrog 8.jpg

attachicon.gifWEB Hall @ Carrog 9.jpg

An Up working headed by the same 'Hall'.... A Video will follow shortly....

attachicon.gifWEB Hall @ Carrog 10.jpg

Hi....

How did you form these platforms...?

Superb work....

Regards

Bob

That's the Oxford one, is it, Larry?

Looks very nice indeed.

Yup, it's the Oxford Captain. Well chuffed with it too, but I've been slapping my wrists for not reducing the height of the splashers even though I had removed them to get rid of the rivet detail. A sound decoder was finally chosen and sent for today, so it will be making noises before very long.  

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I've been slapping my wrists for not reducing the height of the splashers even though I had removed them to get rid of the rivet detail  

I wouldn't worry too much, it still looks great and it passes the Captain's Black 5 test - if it looks like a Black 5, then it must be a Black 5.

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I wouldn't worry too much, it still looks great and it passes the Captain's Black 5 test - if it looks like a Black 5, then it must be a Black 5.

It doesn't look like a Black 5 to me...

Hat, coat.

Yes, they do seem to have listened (to the NRM mainly I think) and have corrected the most obvious faults in their original tooling producing what has turned out to be a pretty good representation.

I had every confidence in it. The Dean Goods is so useful and I doubt anyone could make such a complete of one that an average railway modeller couldn't sort it out.  

• Like 4