CARROG in 4mm & Ruabon discussion...

coachmann

There will be no 'ashpan-gate' with the Hornby 48XX like there was with the DJM version and the Oxford Dean Goods. 

But there is a blank mounting area on the smokebox door for a 14xx variant numberplate. Stands out like a sore thumb on the buffer numbered variant.

"smokebox-gate?"

Edited by BWsTrains

It is off to PGH now for sound fitting....

Another done   :good: - the 38XX.  Zimo MX645 Decoder + YouChoos 'Flame 12'  20mm x 15mm x 12mm high speaker + 1000 uF capacitor.

post-14569-0-09376600-1509803709.jpg

I'm no great fan of 00 gauge, but I find the detail in some of these current models to be quite amazing:

post-14569-0-69646000-1509803822.jpg

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

I had a 14xxyears ago and got a spare set of drivers and replaced the tyred set - transformed the running and pick up qualites of the model.

Me to; did the same thing and had the same result, a dog transformed into a pretty good slow runner that could still manage a 15 wagon freight.  

The two sets of driving wheels on the 14XX have different locations for the balance weights....

If this is important, (Some people can live with the "error", and just swap the whole wheels over...) there is, it seems, a method that involves swapping the grooved tyres for a set of "smooth" tyres from the spare wheels....

I have yet to try this though! ;)

Thanks for that JZ. I am still not convinced by the Kadees for several reason, but ........Those little magnets might be the answer to some of the problems.

On another matter, DCC 'sound' is a very personal matter. On the left is the type of speaker I presumed was necessary two years ago. It's size barred it from many Tenders and it always necessitated gutting them, but it just fit inside a GWR Intermediate Tender. An orange speaker was in the bunker of a Pannier tank. When the same soundfile was installed in both locos a few weeks ago, the Pannier had more bass. Since then I have fitted the orange cubes of various heights and saved myself a lot of gutting!

post-6680-0-86871400-1510009723.jpg

• Like 1

It seems that there is a manufacturing problem with the Railroad 14XX....They are basically being recalled!

There is a customer "review" in here....

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/forum/Hornby-railroad-14xx/?p=3/#post-226138

I would see about returning the Hornby Loco....

There is nothing "New" about it....in fact the older Pre-Railroad models are better finished!

Edited by Sarahagain

Excellent video Larry, the overhead view does show the very high standard of modelling that you have achieved with Carrog and that less is more to coin a modern days phase ...most enjoyable Sir. 

With regard to your quest for a 14xx don't totally dismiss the DJM offering, I know you have likened the drive mechanism to that of a Leyland bus but during the Wigan show the my DJM J94 gave faultless service during the long weekend with Chester Northgate Shed which was a constant shunting movements. 

• Like 1

Others are finding what I found....The centre wheels are higher than the outer wheels, hence it will barely pull itself along going forward. And the steam pipes have been glued into the chassis making body removal impossible. It's going back pronto!

Disraeli revisited it seems!

A 14xx with dodgy drive mechanism + chassis design and DCC operational issues, nicely detailed but no ashpan etc. - "misfortune"

A14xx with traction tyres, uneven wheel alignments, 1980s body work etc, - "calamity"

both with impossible (or near to) to remove chassis, glued down it seems.

decision made.

Edited by BWsTrains