CARROG in 4mm & Ruabon discussion...

coachmann

• RMweb Premium

A video of the Oxford BR black Dean Goods shunting at Carrog.

The lighter exhaust is F-key#5 activated for light engine and shunting work. Some CV's need altering yet. A YouChoos Class 56XX soundfile is installed.  The smaller 648 decoders will fit without any modifications, but I chose to have a Zimo 645 decoder with Flame10 (10m high) cube speaker and stay-alive. There was plenty of space after the 8-pin plug was removed and much of the inside of the Tender gutted.... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9X0RaaIVJM&feature=youtu.be

Coach,

Getting a video unavailable message.

SS

Larry,

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be working. Would you be kind enough to post again, or with the link as I've searched Youtube and nothing is showing.

A video of the Oxford BR black Dean Goods shunting at Carrog.

Excellent sounds to accompany some great driving!  I listened late last night and again this morning and the sound file works for me.  I imagine it would be suitable for the Dukedog and 43XX as well, both regulars on the Ruabon-Barmouth route.

I take it you have a four pin plug.socket between loco and tender?  I found a source of small two pin plugs in a French HO-only shop which are made in America by Evans Designs and are small, well made but whether or not they can be found in the UK is so far an unknown.  A lot, lot cheaper than those sold by TCS.

Excellent sounds to accompany some great driving!  I listened late last night and again this morning and the sound file works for me.  I imagine it would be suitable for the Dukedog and 43XX as well, both regulars on the Ruabon-Barmouth route.

I take it you have a four pin plug.socket between loco and tender?  I found a source of small two pin plugs in a French HO-only shop which are made in America by Evans Designs and are small, well made but whether or not they can be found in the UK is so far an unknown.  A lot, lot cheaper than those sold by TCS.

If your looking for connectors 2 or 4 pin have you looked at those sold by Express models in the UK.

If ever there was a case to be made for adding quality Sound to steam locos, post #1362 is it.

That is brilliant work but it's clear a lot of learning went into getting you where you are today. The promised video will be all the better if it can ease the path for those of us "WhoChoos" to follow.

Thanks,

Colin

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Quality sound can be very easily achieved, though not in public, by the use of good quality on ear headphones (not the silly little 'ear buds' you get with smartphones or buy in pound shops).

Being an old fuddyduddy and not up to speed with DCC, or able to afford it, however, I will continue to make chuff chuff noises...

• Like 4

Would you care to share your experiences of running outside in 00? I am particularly interested in if you run in wind or light rain. I helped build and operate the late George Hinchcliffes Fort Fhay and Invercliffe Railway ( the one with the full scale model of Glenfinnsn viaduct). We used to run this in all weathers . But the mass of models and margins are much greater.

On windy days, there is a particular spot at the door end garden loop that invariably sees coaches and wagons blown over, but not locos. I have sent trains bowling along outside many a time not realizing it had started to rain, but it never stops them. They even run on the outdoor tarnished track, but this was foolhardy because the wheels picked up the tarnish and then the locos stalled inside the shed when running slowly. Nowadays I clean the outside tracks before each running session. In contrast, haven't cleaned the fiddle yard track in months.

Thanks. That's helpful. My reason for asking is that my new layout Hincaster Junction( dcc, code 75, steam sound) is in a substantial shed and is an oval with a scenic storage yard one side and station the other with a double track branch which will lead to a model of Windermere. I have realised that by cutting a couple of holes and either going for it or adding in two junction the trains can disappear outside for some time and I could also add Burneside station at least to the branch. There is plenty of room outside

I am not sure if a roof over the outside area would be a good idea or to just go for felt covered baseboards. I assume all the outside track lengths are connected to a bus wire? Also do you have doors on the openings to exclude any critters from visiting?

• Like 1

Tipping models out of boxes time............Idris the Insidious was about this dinnertime to record the appearance of the new boy on the block. Courtesy of a very good friend, it is factory weathered, but I will be adding a bit myself in due course. It is off to PGH now for sound fitting....

post-6680-0-61426300-1509634301_thumb.jpg

• Like 19

Very nice....

The Collett side-window cab version does look a bit bigger than the earler Churchward cab design I think....

The same applies to the 2-6-0 Moguls as well...

Agreed, the inside steam pipes of the earlier churchwood model also helps to give a slighter look to the loco. In fact these features along with the photographic grey livery on pictures of the first of the design make it look almost like a different loco! :) well worth a Google!

John

• RMweb Gold

Agreed, the inside steam pipes of the earlier churchwood model also helps to give a slighter look to the loco. In fact these features along with the photographic grey livery on pictures of the first of the design make it look almost like a different loco! :) well worth a Google!

John

In many respects it was different - the shorter smokebox and the short cone boiler plus the boiler centre being considerably lower than the production engines would inevitably give it a very different appearance with little or no daylight visible underneath the boiler.

• Like 2

What about the Hattons' 14XX by DJ Models?

I have a couple of Airfix 14XXs in bits but the chassis is its weak link which I was replacing with a Comet chassis when I gave up on 4mm.

On my 7mm MOK 14XX I have only two plunger pickups, one on each of the drivers, and it seems to work well without a stay alive.  It's a DC loco at the moment anyway.  It does have a compensated chassis though which would make a difference.

Received an email saying the "new" Hornby GWR 14XX is now in stock at Hattons.

It has traction tyres............I inquired this morning.  A problem perhaps for some people using dead frogs.  For DCC users, the suggested sound decoder is the small type, typically Zimo 648 with back EMF. I believe one cannot install stay-alives with this decoder and so the problem of only four wheels picking up current remains for all.

Does anyone own one of the older Hornby 14XX's and can post an image of the chassis?  Would sure be useful.

attachicon.gifWEB Hattons 14XX from Hornby.jpg

I replaced the chassis of one of our 14xx's with a 'High Level' chassis. I'll have a rummage a see if I can find the old chassis and post a picture.

As regards the MX648, this link on the YouChoos site shows how to fit a stay alive to the decoder.

http://youchoos.co.uk/Index-Detail.php?L1=Detail&Item=SPEIKOMP

Hope it's of some use.

I have a Hattons/DJM 14XX but apart from it not working for whatever reason, I just don't like DJM's chassis designs..... They remind me of Leyland National buses!

Couldn't agree more, non functional, wibbly wobbly coupling rods is a backwards step IMO. It will be interesting to see what the Hattons Barclay and P class are like now they are not using DJM.

I fully agree, it is certainly another option on my mind plus a rigid drawbar similar to the ones on Hornby tender locos.

I managed to get an MX645 into the Autocoach and run wires across to the loco (Airfix), via a multiplug, for my friend. I also used metal wheels on the Autocoach and I fitted some ESU pick-up units to the bogies that worked well in not creating too much resistance. Although the option was there, I didn't fit a stay alive to the unit, but it never faltered, and he has plenty of 2nd radius set track curves and points.

I may have some of the pick-up units left somewhere Coachman, if you want I'll have a look for them for you.

Jinty ;)

I managed to get an MX645 into the Autocoach and run wires across to the loco (Airfix), via a multiplug, for my friend. I also used metal wheels on the Autocoach and I fitted some ESU pick-up units to the bogies that worked well in not creating too much resistance. Although the option was there, I didn't fit a stay alive to the unit, but it never faltered, and he has plenty of 2nd radius set track curves and points.

I may have some of the pick-up units left somewhere Coachman, if you want I'll have a look for them for you.

Jinty ;)

Thanks Jinty'.  The Hawksworth auto trailer bogies have pick ups built into them, so things might work out okay. 

Winter is a terrible time for me and many others. Depression and lack of focus lead to all sorts of loony ideas. Double tracking Carrog was just one of them, but that has been buried.  I am currently messing around with loose track showing a new alignment beyond the station platforms. Another more enticing idea is to go back to the time of Nationalization.  I need to know if I can create the nostalgia of the period and if I can live with green locos sans lining!

The changeover period after 1948 was not so rapid....so I am finding. Which is good for our 1952-1954 target period on Ffrwd Locks.

(But Coachman knows all about this! ;) )

Looking through a couple of volumes of "The Pannier Papers", I have found 8700 with the GWR roundel in the late 1950s until scrapped at Swindon, May 1962!

Several locos with "GWR" on the tank sides in the late 1950s.

Some locos in other books had GWR livery, worn, and with BR Smokebox Number Plates..

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/70675-brw-steam-loco-livery-1948-64/?p=1016287

The Stationmaster

I believe there was one 'Modified Hall' which fairly certainly never got black livery as a pal of mine phot'd at Exeter in the mid 1950s still in full GWR livery plus smokebox numberplate.  This would suggest to me that possibly some examples of late GWR built locos probably hung on to green before getting it again under the 1956 changes.  And although I don't know when it was previously shopped for heavy repair but, according to a reliably dated photo 6116 survived until at least May 1956 in GWR livery - albeit slightly grubby.

The other thing which was a bit of a surprise is how mucky the Panniers were in general....even the lined black Paddington Pilots were not cosseted, unlike most other Piots that we hear about!

One of the latest locos to come our way is a Bachmann 0-6-2 Tank loco. 5600 class, DCC Fitted.

This arrived in late BR crest unlined green....

The late crest was removed carefully (T Cut and cocktai stick with cotton bud). HMRS "GWR" lettering added to tank sides. a bit of weathering, crew in the cab and better coal in the bunker. (The usual upgrades).

The smokebox number plate remains....and so we now have a transitional loco!  Next "General" at works will probably see it turned out in BR Black....

The only problem is, these are RED locos....so the Moss Valley line may need to be upgradd from BLUE! ;)

Edited by Sarahagain
  • Like 3

Received an email saying the "new" Hornby GWR 14XX is now in stock at Hattons.

Model photos are now posted on their site.

post-26975-0-50516700-1509744482_thumb.jpg

post-26975-0-45659700-1509744641_thumb.jpg

looks like fairly standard "Railroad" issue. From these photos paint appears dull, likewise the lettering. Compare with the last GWR release R3317 from 2012 (not Railroad)

post-26975-0-92816300-1509745432_thumb.jpg

Pity about the traction tyres, but at least there is an ashpan!