Focalplane

More work completed over the weekend, despite distractions.  The basic framework has just been completed with the fourth corner having been constructed.

attachicon.gifIMG_1939.JPG

The cross timbers will give greater strength to the system.

I have also glued down and sanded all the cork for the Dolgelley fiddle yard and have the track ready to lay once I have modified the wiring for the two points.  The sidings will hold one 4/5 coach train plus tender loco, one mixed goods and one local passenger, either a two coach or an autotrain.

attachicon.gifIMG_1940.JPG

I can then wire the fiddle yard as a test for the DCC and lever frame points control.  It will be good to be able to run a train, switch a point and so on before doing more construction.  This may help me to decide which way forward on the layout control

Paul

Lovely work Paul, the start of wiring will get the juices flowing mate.

Further progress over the past two days, partly adding to the fourth corner (see above) but also some struggling with track laying and fixing the two points in the Dolgelley fiddle yard.  I say struggling because I have not laid a point for several years and then they were hand made soldered points for the abandoned Shipston on Stour in OO gauge.

The minimum radius is supposed to be 1.8m and bending flexi track can be a problem, particularly in Gauge O.  The following photo shows a simple jig I put together for cutting the rails at each end of a curved section leading from the fiddle yard:

post-20733-0-53163700-1526976207_thumb.jpg

The clamps are not too tight, just tight enough to hold the rails while they are trimmed with a Dremel.

Paul

Edited by Focalplane
  • Like 8

I have been using the Dapol autocoach as a test vehicle for checking the alignment of the two curved points and this has proved to be a problem.  The bogies were derailing on both points, both at the frogs and the tie-bars.  So I swapped the autocoach for a Dapol B Set and everything is working as it should be.  Clearly there is a problem with the autocoach, most probably the back-to-backs.  My calipers are stored away "somewhere" so I have yet to check them.  But the fact that everything else runs smoothly does suggest that the autocoach is either a Monday morning or Friday afternoon lemon.  Earlier I had to adjust the wiring as the two bogie pickups for the lights were shorting.

I have put the offending coach away for the moment - it has to be resprayed crimson so at that time I will attend to these niggling RTR "facts of life".

On the positive side the curved yard of track has now been glued down.

Paul

• Like 2

It's been nearly a week since my last two posts.  Much progress has been made on the Dolgelley fiddle yard.  All but the two Tortoises are wired up and trains can be run on the central siding for several meters out to the double slip that controls where trains actually go (onto the scenic section or straight to Barmouth fiddle yard).  The reason the point motors have yet to be connected is that I cannot decide exactly where to place the control panels or exactly what power supply system to use.  At the moment I am favouring using two 12v DC power supply units I acquired from Maplin a few months ago.  This allows the setting up of a two wire bus with a simple two way switch (which will be done using DCC Concepts levers).

For track testing purposes I started by using a pannier tank coupled to an ex-GWR B Set to prove that the reverse curves are not too tight.  Today I gave the system the ultimate test by running my precious Lee Marsh Jubilee, first slowly then much faster.  It did not derail.

I took a crude (hand held) iPhone movie of the Jube but it seems to be uploading very slowly from iPhone to iCloud. So I will add it to a second post later on.

Paul

Edited by Focalplane
  • Like 3

Paul,

Videos can be frustrating. I have no knowledge of Vimeo but have uploaded several to YouTube and successfully linked them.

You will need a google account to do that.

HTH

Simon

Paul,

Videos can be frustrating. I have no knowledge of Vimeo but have uploaded several to YouTube and successfully linked them.

You will need a google account to do that.

HTH

Simon

Simon

Yes indeed they can be, particularly when what you may have done last time is no longer de rigeur.

I like vimeo.com because it isn't youtube google, simple as that.  Their movie presentation is more accurate in my opinion.  But like all modern internet applications they want you to stay with them rather than return to the business in hand.  It's called monetization and quite understandable.  If we don't pay for what we want we should  expect them to do what they want!

Anyway, I hope it is fixed now.

Paul

A little more progress this evening.  I have rigged up one of the DCCconcepts Cobalt S point levers to one of the the Tortoises, following the instructions from both vendors.  Without even soldering some of the wires it worked first time!

As I still don't know where the control panel should be located, I have clamped a piece of plywood to the area where the signal box will be and run wires according to the recommended system that uses two 12 volt DC power supply units wired in series.  A bus wire has been run as far as the first fiddle yard point and the common wire from the Cobalt S SPDT connected to it.  The two switched wires are connected to the two outputs from the twin power supply units.

These photos show the set up which is very, very temporary!

post-20733-0-20272400-1527541390_thumb.jpg

post-20733-0-76476300-1527541426_thumb.jpg

post-20733-0-09565000-1527541461_thumb.jpg

The last photo shows some of the wiring which will need to be properly labelled, etc. once I settle on the best wiring system.  Some colour coding may also be a good idea!  The three British PSUs are plugged into a British multi-strip which has been re-plugged for European sockets.  The upper one is for the DCC controller, the lower two are for the Maplin PSUs for the Tortoises.

I hope this all makes sense.  Anyone wanting to do a similar set up should refer to the vendors's instructions; they do a better job of explaining it all than I can.

Paul

Edit to add the following:

There are three bus wires, the upper red over black are the track feeds from the DCC controller.  The lower red feed is the Cobalt/Tortoise common bus.  All three will run the entire length of the layout and are made of solid copper 2.5mm sheathed wire.

Edited by Focalplane
  • Like 6

Both points in the Dolgelley fiddle yard are now wired up and working, but the wiring is still only temporary.  However, I am impressed with the Cobalt S levers and have ordered sufficient for the entire layout.  They work well with the Tortoise point motors and will allow for additional switching for signals, etc.  The key to success is going to be in how I organize the wiring down the road.  And where I place the control panel.  It will probably be "under water" in the estuary in front of the George Hotel.

I have trialled other rolling stock this evening and the Ivatt 2MT mogul looks the part with a crimson B Set in tow.  I took a brief video and will upload it later in the week.

The next stage will be the double slip that allows trains to run direct from fiddle yard to fiddle yard and also to the hidden loop which then leads to the scenic area that will be set up much later.  The double slip will be hidden and relatively inaccessible so it will be important to get it right before moving ahead.  The Barmouth fiddle yard has yet to be built but that would seem to be the next priority.

Trouble is, it is fun playing trains after so much woodwork!

Paul

• Like 4

Ordering stuff from the UK can vary enormously from vendor to vendor. I ordered the Cobalt S levers last night from Gaugemaster and by 9:00 this morning I had an email from UPS to say the package was on its way to them. That would be 8 a.m. UK time!

By contrast, I was trying to find a vendor who sells Tortoises and have them in stock and can quickly determine postage/carriage charges and does not use PayPal. Then I remembered that FB Systems near Béziers sells Tortoises and we plan to visit the area next week. So that should be sorted and I will also be giving business to my local (HO only) model shop!  I can also stock up on some other items while I am there as well as see if they take American HO stuff for sale on commission - the owner likes American HO!

(The PayPal problem is unusual - I have two accounts, one Euro, one Sterling but because the delivery is to France PayPal assumes I will use my Euro account and does not let me change. And, before anyone asks, PayPal did not give me the option to use a debit card. Life does not get any easier, does it!)

Paul

Another loco was brought out of storage this morning - Tower Models 57XX no. 9681- and given a run but not before I had to reset the SWDigital chip.  I had forgotten the address!!!!  I am sure it was written down somewhere but some papers are still missing since we moved house.

I also remembered a book I had bought some time ago when researching 1935 era GWR shed allocations for Shipston on Stour.  The soft back by Pocock and Harrison shows one loco assigned to Penmaenpool in 1934, No. 1430.  This would not have been the 14XX Class by Collett but a 517 class forerunner.  A fine model of this class is currently available from Lee Marsh.

There is also a photo of Penmaenpool shed in the book, taken in 1936.  This shows two locos outside the shed, 2435 (Dean Goods) and 2289 (2251 Class, brand new), while it is recorded that two locos were also inside the shed, namely 4834 (48XX Class) and 2378 (2361 Class).

This photo shows that, other than the locos, nothing had changed in and around the engine shed between 1936 and 1959.  Which implies that, had I the locos and stock, it would be possible to run two distinct eras, GWR and BR(W), with few changes to the layout.

Best to complete the BR(W) era first!!!  Paul

• Like 4

Paul,

Do you not simply address locos by their cabside numbers (or the first four digits thereof)? Mr Churchward was most forward thinking in assigning 4-digit addresses for his locos!

I have a Multimaus which also allows short text names (and is compatible with my Lenz system) but the decoders are all cab numbers

Best

Simon

Simon

Yes, I do use the 4 digit numbers but for some reason 9681 didn't work.  Nor did 96, 57 or a number of other permutations.  Store in a box and anything can and will happen!

I am not going to admit more than this, but a few months ago I returned to England and could not remember the PIN code for my debit card and had to get a new one.  This time I decided to change the PIN to a favourite loco from the Snow Hill days, not one I have on Penmaenpool, by the way.  Now I just have to think of the loco when at the ATM!

I imagine that ER, SR and LMR modellers simply drop the 6, 3 and 4/5s from their locos?

Paul

Over the past two days I have fitted a YouChoos Zimo sound chip/file to my Modern Outline Kits 14XX, No. 1459.  This previously had a Southwestern Digital GWR 1 chip in it but this will eventually go into the 74XX currently half completed.  I had modified the wiring some time ago, fitting an 8 pin socket.  But, although the blank plug allowed me to run in DC, the YouChoos chip appeared to be dead.  An email to John Gymer was answered very rapidly on Friday night, suggesting that the 8 pin socket might be wired up wrong.  I thought about this and then checked the loco.  Sure enough, I had connected the track wires to the sockets for the motor and vice versa.  It is obvious how this had happened - the Canon motors come wired with red and black wires while the convention says that the track wires are red and black.  The blank plug has no sense (!) so simply connected the track wires to the motor wires.

Anyway, the loco sounds great, using genuine 14XX loco sounds and a very nice set of functions.  I need to make a short movie sometime soon.

Recommended!

Paul

• Like 7

Over the weekend I had a “bad turn” as my Nan would have said and decided to take time out and relax from the various chores around the house and the not-so-chores in the railway room. But yesterday I started laying more track, with the double slip that connects the two fiddle yards to the layout being the first priority. Then I added yard lengths of Peco track to the double slip. Nothing is wired up yet but the results are pleasing and more track bases will be put in place. I really need to get a continuous circuit up and running!

Photos soon!

Paul

• Like 1

Over the weekend I had a “bad turn” as my Nan would have said and decided to take time out and relax from the various chores around the house and the not-so-chores in the railway room. But yesterday I started laying more track, with the double slip that connects the two fiddle yards to the layout being the first priority. Then I added yard lengths of Peco track to the double slip. Nothing is wired up yet but the results are pleasing and more track bases will be put in place. I really need to get a continuous circuit up and running!

Photos soon!

Paul

Sorry to read about the bad turn Paul, I hope it's sorted now, and I look forward to more pics soon.

Sorry to read about the bad turn Paul, I hope it's sorted now, and I look forward to more pics soon.

Andy

My bad turn was nothing really (by comparison) but I couldn't concentrate on anything for more than a couple of minutes.  I am back to normal now, what ever that means!

In fact I have spent a good four hours in the railway room, adding track bases, cork and track bit by bit.  I also cleared the decks of tools, materials, etc. so I should be able to take some photos once the latest glue has set and the clamps are off.

Paul

• Like 5

I just heard from Warren Shephard.  He is putting together a 43XX/93XX kit for me which I should receive within the next week or so.  So my first express mixed traffic loco will soon be available for those Wrexham/Chester specials.  Wait a mo', did I say soon?

Paul

And, finally, after a long day in the railway room, some clean and tidy photos of the hidden section which will be under Penmaenpool station.

The first is a view looking east "under" Penmaenpool. The double slip is critical to the movement of trains below the scenic section, front left track is from Barmouth fiddle yard, front right track goes from Dolgelley to Penmaenpool, rear left track goes to Dolgelley fiddle yard, rear right track goes from Barmouth to Penmaenpool.  The tracks are straighter than they look but the orientation of the double slip had to be skewed to allow for the uprights:

post-20733-0-69575500-1528231674_thumb.jpg

The second is taken at "ground level" from above the hidden track to the Dolgelley fiddle yard:  The uprights represent the supports for the scenic section.

post-20733-0-41454800-1528231083_thumb.jpg

The third shows the three hidden tracks under the station.  From front to back, 1 - track to Dolgelley fiddle yard, 2 - track from Barmouth fiddle yard, 3 - loop which allows a second circuit as well as potential storage for long SO excursion trains.

post-20733-0-38189300-1528231265_thumb.jpg

I hope this is reasonably clear.  I no longer have an accurate track plan, the enterprise having been bodged a few times since the plans were drawn up.

Paul

• Like 12

Paul,

It might be a trick of the light, but there appears to be a kink on the nearest track at the fishplates.

Not wanting to teach granny, etc, but a handbag mirror can be helpful for getting that “along the rail” view.

HTH

Simon