Focalplane

Now back in the railway room and the first priority has been to lay some cork on the hidden tracks that will pass under Penmaenpool station.  The most important part is a double slip that allows trains to be sent to either fiddle yard and also to surreptitiously send a loco or entire train from one fiddle yard to the other without being seen.  There is also a loop at the back, currently a shelf for storing tools, that bypasses the double slip.  This  will allow continuous running around the room without passing through the station.  This latter loop is a luxury but will be useful for storing a complete train, or trains, out of sight.

Here is the beginning of the track laying, though no track will be glued down for some time to come:

post-20733-0-87274600-1525109801_thumb.jpg

I am using the Dapol autocoach as the test vehicle.  The layout of the double slip seems a little odd but the skewed appearance is necessary for lining up the tracks between the eventual supports for the scenic baseboard above.

Paul

• Like 5

More track bed additions and track that has been placed but not glued.

post-20733-0-00278600-1525202612_thumb.jpeg

In this view the track going toward the double slip if from the Dolgelley fiddle yard. The distant right track goes to the Barmouth fiddle yard.

post-20733-0-12665300-1525202831_thumb.jpeg

Looking from the other side of the double slip, the nearest track comes from the Barmouth fiddle yard and trains to Penmaenpool would go across to where the autotrain is standing.

I have been playing with the two Tortoises that will power the double slip. At first I thought the clearance is not there but then I remembered that the point motors can be offset. I now need longer piano wires as the ones I am using have been trimmed already. I seem to remember that thicker wire is recommended for Gauge O so maybe it is just as well.

At Coachmann’s suggestion I have contacted Youchoos and will order a Zimo sound decoder for the 14XX. By the way, I have not yet had the chance to mention this here, I acquired Larry’s Minerva pannier and it is a beauty. The Youchoos sound file is actually from a Hall, but it goes very nicely with the 8750 class.

The 8750 is a Croes Newydd loco so is perfect for Penmaenpool and could have been loaned to the sub-shed while the regular loco was in works. I now have four tank engines so it is time for some more tender engines to join the party. I may kit build a 43XX next.

Paul

Edited by Focalplane
  • Like 8

More track bed additions and track that has been placed but not glued.

attachicon.gif7311044D-9B21-40A5-A12E-372C51BDDC20.jpeg

In this view the track going toward the double slip if from the Dolgelley fiddle yard. The distant right track goes to the Barmouth fiddle yard.

attachicon.gifA53D11B3-910C-464E-B1AF-01D6F0010FF1.jpeg

Looking from the other side of the double slip, the nearest track comes from the Barmouth fiddle yard and trains to Penmaenpool would go across to where the autotrain is standing.

I have been playing with the two Tortoises that will power the double slip. At first I thought the clearance is not there but then I remembered that the point motors can be offset. I now need longer piano wires as the ones I am using have been trimmed already. I seem to remember that thicker wire is recommended for Gauge O so maybe it is just as well.

At Coachmann’s suggestion I have contacted Youchoos and will order a Zimo sound decoder for the 14XX. By the way, I have not yet had the chance to mention this here, I acquired Larry’s Minerva pannier and it is a beauty. The Youchoos sound file is actually from a Hall, but it goes very nicely with the 8750 class.

The 8750 is a Croes Newydd loco so is perfect for Penmaenpool and could have been loaned to the sub-shed while the regular loco was in works. I now have four tank engines so it is time for some more tender engines to join the party. I may kit build a 43XX next.

I like the sound of the 14XX decoder, although it would benefit from a decent size speaker and this is possible in 0 gauge. 4mm 14XX's are stymied by the weird design of the Hattons/JDM model which dictates the speaker size.

Your MR 4F 0-6-0 now has Fowler 2-6-4T sound and it does what I expected of it after setting up the CV's. I find it preferable to the dedicated 4F sound. 

I am not going to do more work on the track, I just wanted to get back in the groove before starting more woodwork.  This afternoon I acquired more L girder timber and have started on the third side of the room.  This will be where the platforms will go on the scenic model and the Dolgelley fiddle yard with turntable in front and below.

The plan is complete the framework on all four walls, including the lift bridge across the doorway, then lay the hidden tracks and test everything before adding the upper deck scenic boards.  Her Upstairs made a rare visit yesterday and commented that this was obviously a long term project!  She also noted, and I agreed, that she really shouldn't try to tidy things up as I might never find anything again.

Leroy Merlin had only 6 lengths of quality timber when I need 12, so another wait before I have all the material to complete the framework.

Paul

I have ordered two more goods vehicles, this time from Minerva - the Iron Mink and the Gunpowder Van, both in BR livery.  The latter is a natural for Mid-Wales, given the number of stone (rather than slate) quarries that existed in the area.  The nearest was at Arthog and is a most interesting place to visit - our daughter in law swam across the "lake" which is only accessible by an old tramway tunnel.

The nearest gunpowder factory was Cookes at Penrhyndeudreuth (near Porthmadog) and they supplied most of the explosives needed in both the slate and stone workings in and around the old Cambrian system.  I remember a line of steel vans in the siding at Penrhyn and being told that they were for transporting explosives - that would have been around 1957.

No photos of the ongoing L-Girder construction, once I have the materials the progress can be quite alarming, the third side of the room is almost complete with cross members in place.

Paul

• Like 2

Back in the Land of Internet Paul and catching up mate, it's looking very impressive, will we have Video in Technicolour and Cinimascope? hahha. :sungum:

Good to have you back on line, Andy!  As to movies, well, the room was a cinema and it is in France so filming should be de rigeur!  (I grew up on French movies - before I was 12 I went, with my parents, to see Brigitte Bardot in an "A" movie at a cinema on Birmingham's infamous Broad Street, so let me think about this one!)

More progress today in between those "honey do's".

Paul

• Like 1

This evening I completed all the modular uprights and managed to use the last four planks of "good wood" to set up the beginnings of the fourth wall framework.  This includes two special uprights either side of the entry door to support a hinged flap.  Although I am currently agile enough it is very probable that I won't also be so, hence the hinge flap design now rather than later.

Originally I had planned to have the scissor crossing on the flap but this is no longer necessary so it will be positioned to one side of the doorway.  The added stability should be a bonus.

I have also been researching an alternative to the Heljan 43XX and this is discussed (or will be) on my workbench thread.

Paul

Edi to add:  Her Upstairs got me off track with some IKEA purchase and I managed to delete a long text on the 43XX subject.  I'll try to replicate it tomorrow morning so hang in there!  Bon Nuit!

Edited by Focalplane

The Churchward mogul, or class 43XX/93XX, was the work horse of the Ruabon Barmouth line until the Midland Region took over with their Ivatts and Standards.  I like (and own) an Ivatt mogul partly because they were also numerous around Oswestry, my trainspotting base, but no Standards will grace Penmaenpool, even though there are many many photos of the 75XXX class (end of steam pilgrimages being the reason).  Their big cousins, the Manors, were also used to haul the heavier trains, but the performance of the moguls on the old Cambrian system is legendary.

Two Churchward moguls would be appropriate for Penmaenpool and my original plan was to order a Heljan Mogul but there is no firm date for their release.  I am keeping my order going for the time being but a new plan has emerged.  Warren Shephard's kit covers all the variants and comes recommended.  I have been in contact with Warren and my main question is concerned with rolling the boiler and smokebox as Warren supplies the etches flat.  Warren posted a short video on the subject and has also explained that the brass is "half hard" and does not need annealing before rolling.  The video can be found here.  So my plan is to buy the kit at the beginning of June.

The next step is to go through all the photos of moguls on the line, particularly the date the photo was taken, then focus on which locos were likely to work through Penmaenpool in the period 1956-59.

Paul

• Like 2

I have seen photos of at least two different 'Large Prairies' on the line. Based on the assumption that many more ran on the line than people took photos, I will be having one (in 4mm).  Knowing that the ageing 'Dukedogs' were left on shed if crews could find something better, it is even likely that one might see a 'Large Prairie' more than a 'Dukedog' towards the end of the 1950's. I rode behind two of the old 4-4-0's but this was on the Portmadoc line. Other locos I rode behind were 'Small Praires', 2251's and 43XX's, but never a 'Manor'. In fact I still haven even in preservation. Some LMS engines were passed for the route but I would think this was between Ruthin and Llangollen. Stanier 2-6-4T's were perhaps the largest. I saw trains passing Penmaenpool only this morning....B&R Video!

• Like 2

First apologies for the typo, I know it pains because I am often an Aston.

At least I do get a railway related typo - Pulham always gets changed to Pullman despite there being no 'H' in Pullman, even seconds after being corrected. I can only assume that it's one of those things that the mind corrects (incorrectly) unconsciously when reading it....

I bought one of Warren’s mogul kits at the same time as I bought my dukedog - I had actually saved the readies from the sale of my much loved 16mm locos to purchase a lionheart mogul but could not bring myself to pay £2k for a toy so I bought two kits & all the bits instead. This also allowed me mix & match tenders.

I had one of Bill Connell’s helical 2-stage gearboxes with a canon motor but used it in the Duchess when I discovered that the Ron Chaplin unit wouldn’t fit between Slater’s horns. I’ll need another as I’m pleased with how it runs.

Once the Duchess is sorted, I’ll probably dive into the mogul. Will be interesting to compare notes.

Atb

Simon

I bought one of Warren’s mogul kits at the same time as I bought my dukedog - I had actually saved the readies from the sale of my much loved 16mm locos to purchase a lionheart mogul but could not bring myself to pay £2k for a toy so I bought two kits & all the bits instead. This also allowed me mix & match tenders.

I had one of Bill Connell’s helical 2-stage gearboxes with a canon motor but used it in the Duchess when I discovered that the Ron Chaplin unit wouldn’t fit between Slater’s horns. I’ll need another as I’m pleased with how it runs.

Once the Duchess is sorted, I’ll probably dive into the mogul. Will be interesting to compare notes.

Atb

Simon

Simon

It will be interesting to see how we progress.  I'll be in Warren's area of Wales in July so plan to visit and meet the guy "at home".

Does Atb mean All the Best?  I can't keep up with all these acronyms!

Best wishes, Paul

PS Your latest Duchess Princess Coronation video is great!

Thanks Paul

Do give Warren my regards, we’re old pals, he taught me to fire on the Festiniog some 45 years ago - isn’t that scary?!

Yes.- All the best - It’s a tla - three letter acronym :)

Thanks for the comment on the Duchess - not biting on the Princess Coronation :). In the end it’s a tribute to a 3rail Christmas present when I was six!

I’m pleased with how it’s coming along, though the tender is a bit of a shame.

I don’t expect to start on the mogul this side of the summer, but we’ll see

Best

Simon

All sorts of diversions, some literally, at the moment.  The village has a Fiesta on Friday and Saturday so we will be "locked down" for two days with not much chance of driving anywhere.  So I have to get to the bricolage tomorrow for 6 lengths of timber to complete the L Girder framework in between visits to various eclectic street performances.

Another diversion was a visit to Montpellier today to our nearest IKEA.  This entails driving on A9 which is touted as the most dangerous stretch of autoroute by the local paper, Midi Presse.  A couple of days ago they posted yet another video as a reminder of the dangers of mixing local drivers, European truck drivers from everywhere and tourists from everywhere on a 3+3 lane toll road.  We were pleasantly surprised with the road manners - maybe the newspaper's campaign is working.

Several of our neighbours have asked about the future of the old home cinema.  At least two have nodded with understanding and enthusiasm when I explain that it has closed down to make way for a model train in "Echèle Zero".

Paul

• Like 4

Stymied again - no decent lumber of the size I need is available - so other priorities move up the list.  The warping on one length was so bad I said something bad in English and got some very strange looks from other shoppers.

Good news on returning, though, was a package from Youchoos.  It contains a Zimo MX645R decoder with a Youchoos 17000 microfarads stay alive capacitor.  It's for the 14XX and is loaded with the Youchoos 14XX sound file.  This has all the sounds for autotrain operation included.  I am sure I will install it in the next few days.  I will probably use the same in the 74XX (though it was not used with an autocoach as far as I know, all photos show a "B Set" configuration).

Paul

Stymied again - no decent lumber of the size I need is available - so other priorities move up the list.  The warping on one length was so bad I said something bad in English and got some very strange looks from other shoppers.

Good news on returning, though, was a package from Youchoos.  It contains a Zimo MX645R decoder with a Youchoos 17000 microfarads stay alive capacitor.  It's for the 14XX and is loaded with the Youchoos 14XX sound file.  This has all the sounds for autotrain operation included.  I am sure I will install it in the next few days.  I will probably use the same in the 74XX (though it was not used with an autocoach as far as I know, all photos show a "B Set" configuration).

Paul

It's because the 74XX's were no auto-fitted Paul. I look forward to hearing your 14XX.  I will be having it in mine eventually. At least you can add more bass to yours with a Zimo twin speaker.

Atb

Simon

Hi Simon,

May I ask, will you be posting a description/ photographs of the build on RMWeb ?

I only ask as I am interested in Warrens 43xx and or his 45xx kits having almost built the Dean Goods and I think they do provide a good value for money kit.

Grahame

Simon

It will be interesting to see how we progress.  I'll be in Warren's area of Wales in July so plan to visit and meet the guy "at home".

Does Atb mean All the Best?  I can't keep up with all these acronyms!

Best wishes, Paul

PS Your latest Duchess Princess Coronation video is great!

Sorry I meant to do a multi quote but failed !

Will be interesting to see your build as with Simons on Warrens kit.

Grahame

It's because the 74XX's were no auto-fitted Paul. I look forward to hearing your 14XX.  I will be having it in mine eventually. At least you can add more bass to yours with a Zimo twin speaker.

You are right, Larry.  I meant that I would use the same sound files but not use the autotrain functions.

Paul

When I compare the slow progress of Penmaenpool with other layouts in Gauge O I tend to forget that many of them are much smaller - the various shunting planks and so on.  Then there are the huge layouts that have been in the making for years (and/or were assembled by a team of modellers).  Today I have been doing lots of small things, none of which are worthy of a photograph but which when taken together with other days of work might actually begin to tell a story.

The lack of L Girder timber has been frustrating but I am able to continue building the non-secenic track beds and have made some progress on the trackbed leading to the Dolgelley fiddle yard.  It looks as though this will have three tracks with a spur off the inner track leading to the old Legge Lane turntable.  The turntable will have several staging tracks for storing locomotives.  The remainder of this inner track will store the 14XX plus autocoach, or perhaps a 74XX/8750 pannier and a B Set.  The other two fiddle yard tracks should each be able to take a tender loco and four coach train or a mixed goods train.  This is a bare minimum but there will also be a long storage loop under the layout which could hide a Saturday only excursion or two.  

I have come back to the double scissor crossover made by Marcway and will position this next to the lifting section in the doorway.  It will require four point motors and I am open to suggestions.  I like Tortoises but there are other options these days, such as the Peco system.  If the learning curve is steep I am probably not interested as I am comfortable with the Tortoise concept.  But do please comment on this, I welcome new experiences if they makes life easier.

Paul

• Like 1

When I compare the slow progress of Penmaenpool with other layouts in Gauge O I tend to forget that many of them are much smaller - the various shunting planks and so on.  Then there are the huge layouts that have been in the making for years (and/or were assembled by a team of modellers).  Today I have been doing lots of small things, none of which are worthy of a photograph but which when taken together with other days of work might actually begin to tell a story.

The lack of L Girder timber has been frustrating but I am able to continue building the non-secenic track beds and have made some progress on the trackbed leading to the Dolgelley fiddle yard.  It looks as though this will have three tracks with a spur off the inner track leading to the old Legge Lane turntable.  The turntable will have several staging tracks for storing locomotives.  The remainder of this inner track will store the 14XX plus autocoach, or perhaps a 74XX/8750 pannier and a B Set.  The other two fiddle yard tracks should each be able to take a tender loco and four coach train or a mixed goods train.  This is a bare minimum but there will also be a long storage loop under the layout which could hide a Saturday only excursion or two.  

I have come back to the double scissor crossover made by Marcway and will position this next to the lifting section in the doorway.  It will require four point motors and I am open to suggestions.  I like Tortoises but there are other options these days, such as the Peco system.  If the learning curve is steep I am probably not interested as I am comfortable with the Tortoise concept.  But do please comment on this, I welcome new experiences if they makes life easier.

Paul

I agree with your comment about the quickness of small Layout Builds, but yours is progressing really well so don't worry about the speed of your build mate, it's progressing well.

Tortoises...

I like servos, and Arduinos offer a cheap way of driving them (much cheaper than peco!) with options for bells and signals and interlocking and anything else you’d like to program, but you’re not looking for cost saving innovation, as much as confidence and convenience.

Like I said, Tortoises

Best

Simon