2ManySpams

• RMweb Premium

St Leven's viaduct....be not that in Devon....Plymuff even? (St Leven's Road)? Don't ask me though even though I was hatched there(Plymuff that is) many moons ago.

P

Yep, in Gods County if not gods city. There were two viaducts, but twenty odd years ago they knocked the lesser one down to leave a stump on which is a plaque in College Road.

• RMweb Premium

Yep, in Gods County if not gods city. There were two viaducts, but twenty odd years ago they knocked the lesser one down to leave a stump on which is a plaque in College Road.

Oh b***er, that's the old SR one.....pah! Ran over that in late September, early October 1964, (having joined the ripped up railway at Kings Road and gone through the tunnels) on a X Country run from DHS boys to DHS Girls......don't ask!

P

I never figured out which was SR or GW although now the SR is no more. That would make it easier! Plymouth sure lost a lot of railway infrastructure, especially SR sadly. When I was young (very young!), the railway bug first bit while waiting for the Tavvy Flyer at Mutley station.

Brian.

You could see both viaducts from my grandparents' house, GWR on the left, SR on the right. Trains coming towards you on the GWR viaduct were heading for London. Trains heading away from you on the SR viaduct were heading for London. I always thought that was odd. If you stood in their back yard you could answer the question, "Which way is London?" by pointing in opposite directions at the same time!

Geoff Endacott

• Like 2

Oh dear.

I'm on my commute to York.

The wires are down between Bawtry and Doncaster. No problem East Coast now have a procedure that allows trains to coast throughout the effected section with the pantograph down.

Except that we have just come to an emergency stop and there's no lights on!

Could be here a while me thinks.......

Sorted now.

Turns out we had made it past the effected area, but when the driver tried to put the Pan back up it triped back down and a brake application was made.

Following a lineside inspection of the Pan we then proceeded with our journey.

Fair play to the guard who explained the detail in plain English.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I have just been down for a swift half.

The attached fot's were taken on the way to and not on the way home. I seem to have missed a bit of plaque ( not wiv me tooth brush).

post-9897-0-14897900-1417257592_thumb.jpg

A full picture of the stump.

post-9897-0-52785900-1417257654_thumb.jpg

And finally a fot looking along the line of the viaduct.

post-9897-0-65830900-1417257752_thumb.jpg

The apex of the gable end above the roof line,  is more or less the left hand edge of the track bed.

If required I will try and get a better pic of the plaque, as I will be required attend the Levee again to watch the England V Oz rugby match.

Edit: to add info on the track bed

Edited by Siberian Snooper
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I have just been down for a swift half.

The attached fot's were taken on the way to and not on the way home. I seem to have missed a bit of plaque ( not wiv me tooth brush).

attachicon.gifSt Levens Via Plaque R.jpg

A full picture of the stump.

attachicon.gifSt Levens Via Stump R.jpg

And finally a fot looking along the line of the viaduct.

attachicon.gifSt Levens 180 view R.jpg

The apex of the gable end above the roof line,  is more or less the left hand edge of the track bed.

If required I will try and get a better pic of the plaque, as I will be required attend the Levee again to watch the England V Oz rugby match.

Edit: to add info on the track bed

Thanks for those. Always interested in anything from the west country.

As a child - about 7 or 8 - the first family holiday I have any real memories from are of our trips from Hampshire to Cornwall. I have vague memory snapshots of Dad pointing out the Royal Albert bridge as we came down on the Southern line, then clattering through Devonport to North Road which in those days I think was pretty much a building site. As we went over the RA bridge into Cornwall I seem to recall they were still finishing off the road bridge - I think that puts it at 1961 but I may be mistaken.

I would have no trouble thinking of a time and place if Doctor Who appeared on our front lawn with the Tardis and offered me one free trip! 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I think I have reached a time in life when I should spend some time in Plymuff, looking at old 'haunts'. Last time I was there I think was 1996ish. That was when Argyle was/were a reasonable footy team.

I bet some places haven't changed a dot and yet others will be hard to recognise; such is life I suppose.

I seem to remember the no 3 bus went from Peverell to town, turning Right at the Embassy Ballroom, then left via St Leven's Road and later by the Dockyard. Can't remember where after that. It was a long ride into town that way as it was a circular. 

The Number 1 went via (almost) Devonport Albert Road and then close to Devonport Kings Road then over the creek past the Brewery and up Union Street (I think).

the 2 and 4 went the opposite way but the same routes if you get my meaning? Circular style routes, all of which went over Mutley Plain.

I wonder if those routes are still in operation?

Hey ho.

Phil

I think I have reached a time in life when I should spend some time in Plymuff, looking at old 'haunts'. Last time I was there I think was 1996ish. That was when Argyle was/were a reasonable footy team.

I bet some places haven't changed a dot and yet others will be hard to recognise; such is life I suppose.

I seem to remember the no 3 bus went from Peverell to town, turning Right at the Embassy Ballroom, then left via St Leven's Road and later by the Dockyard. Can't remember where after that. It was a long ride into town that way as it was a circular. 

The Number 1 went via (almost) Devonport Albert Road and then close to Devonport Kings Road then over the creek past the Brewery and up Union Street (I think).

the 2 and 4 went the opposite way but the same routes if you get my meaning? Circular style routes, all of which went over Mutley Plain.

I wonder if those routes are still in operation?

Hey ho.

Phil

But which bus got you to Ocean sidings?

• RMweb Premium

There are lots of photos of 'old Plymouth' - not just the railway - in 'Laira Fireman' by Philp Rundle. There is also a companion volume covering Cornwall. I'm afraid they may be too steamy for Damien though...  ;)

• RMweb Gold

There is a great story in the second book about a fireman having to jump off the footplate and knock each wagon brake on as the train ran down the hill to Newham - it turns out  the fireman was a neighbour of mine, who'd never mentioned he was  an ex-railwayman. He now drives on the B&W.

• Like 4