RMweb

BT Email Scam

Danemouth

Just a warning to you good folks to beware of this email - it's a scam. Clicking the Confirm link leads you to btinternet.eu which is doubtless going to cause you a great deal of hassle.

I use Thunderbird for my emails which is set to ensure that it doesn't go and get the remote conent, much of which is pulled from the genuine BT site.

Have a look at the senders email address and the grammar of the email.

post-7048-0-47631900-1494925245_thumb.jpg

Surprisingly this email was not picked up as junk by BT's own filters - I moved it to the Junk folder.

Dave

• RMweb Gold

And yet Bupinder from "BT internet security" who telephoned me this morning never mentioned this email.

Strange indeed. Looking at the image posted by Danemouth, I note the originating email address ends in .au, which is unusual for a UK company. 

• RMweb Premium

Because my email address ends in .co.uk I have had spam saying I owe c£800. They are much more realistic as the originating email address has bt in it, also cute to use some real bt links like your spam. BT has an email address to forward this stuff to, you can find it on their website.

• RMweb Gold

It's ok "Microsoft internet security" have now been on the phone too, so they must all be on the case...... :bye:

On a slightly related theme I get a few calls asking if I've had a recent accident. I tend to reply "yes" and when they ask the nature of the accident I say "I sh*t myself" but they all seem unable to help....

• RMweb Gold

It's ok "Microsoft internet security" have now been on the phone too, so they must all be on the case...... :bye:

On a slightly related theme I get a few calls asking if I've had a recent accident. I tend to reply "yes" and when they ask the nature of the accident I say "I sh*t myself" but they all seem unable to help....

I said I tripped up rushing to answer their call. Could they please provide their details so I lodge a claim? They didn't.

• RMweb Premium

Strange indeed. Looking at the image posted by Danemouth, I note the originating email address ends in .au, which is unusual for a UK company. 

You've rumbled me!

• RMweb Gold

It must be silly season, I got a tax refund yesterday from hmrc, just click on the link below etc

Forwarded to the phishing team at the real hmrc, confirmed as fake within hours

(Hmrc never contact about refunds on line, always by post)

Yesterday's spam/fraud/criminal automated phone call (caller ID "International") was a new one on me: a recorded message telling me HMRC had started legal action against me and please press 1 to continue. 

• RMweb Gold

I only had the one spam call in the office yesterday, it was Bupinder from "MS Security" I let him waffle on for a few minutes then used my Fart App (on the iphone) and said I had to go.

As he didn't fix my "Error reports problem" he's sure to call back.

• RMweb Premium

Looks like someone in the UK, is taking revenge on Aussies! Really, sending large bundles of cash to BRITISH police & expecting it to be replaced?

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/counterfeit-scam-had-victims-burning-cash-police-20170519-gw95ww.html

• RMweb Premium

A Thunderer whistle seems to have the desired effect on those Microsoft parasites.

Except it won't come through as loud as you might think. The phone system automatically limits the volume, so things like lightening strikes, don't damage hearing.

• RMweb Gold

I only had the one spam call in the office yesterday, it was Bupinder from "MS Security" I let him waffle on for a few minutes then used my Fart App (on the iphone) and said I had to go.

As he didn't fix my "Error reports problem" he's sure to call back.

"Michael" from MS Security told me I had a virus which needed fixing - "How does that manifest itself on an abacus ?" seemed to totally confuse him and he hung up on me.

• RMweb Gold

Today I sat down for a sandwich and the phone goes, it's "Richard" from BT telling me they're going to disconnect my internet at 1.15pm as I'm infected with virus, I replied "That's fine, cut it off I've seen all the nude pictures of your mother I can handle" ...this stumped him somewhat but given a second he was back on script...."But we're going to cut you off" he said. I said "I'm not surprised I haven't paid BT's bill for at least 2 years" ......then he told me to p!ss off......

15 minutes later "Mark" rang me from BT Internet Solutions, I asked what they'd watered down if it's a solution. he started to say the script when twigged and shouted f off, f off f off down the phone, I asked for the customer complaints department and he started screaming even louder. I suggested he take an aspirin and lie down and he put the phone down on me......bless him I think he has "issues"

• RMweb Gold

Today I sat down for a sandwich and the phone goes, it's "Richard" from BT telling me they're going to disconnect my internet at 1.15pm as I'm infected with virus, I replied "That's fine, cut it off I've seen all the nude pictures of your mother I can handle" ...this stumped him somewhat but given a second he was back on script...."But we're going to cut you off" he said. I said "I'm not surprised I haven't paid BT's bill for at least 2 years" ......then he told me to p!ss off......

15 minutes later "Mark" rang me from BT Internet Solutions, I asked what they'd watered down if it's a solution. he started to say the script when twigged and shouted f off, f off f off down the phone, I asked for the customer complaints department and he started screaming even louder. I suggested he take an aspirin and lie down and he put the phone down on me......bless him I think he has "issues"

Do you have an easily memorable phone number Dave? You seem to get an awful lot of these calls. :)

Anyway, I had a bloke ring me this afternoon asking if I'd had an accident in the last five years. I told him I was fatally injured in a road accident 18 months ago.

He didn't get it.

Al.

• RMweb Gold

Do you have an easily memorable phone number Dave? You seem to get an awful lot of these calls. :)

Al.

I get them on the landline which is in the directory, it's also in the public domain as with madam being a Councillor you have to have your details published. 

I reckon though that as I annoy them so much they keep selling my number on, if I'm in the office I can average about 4-5 a day, mainly MS/BT internet virus scam but occasionally I get PPI or accident claim ones. .....(I must remember your answer). 

You can get calls trying to sell you stuff all day long sometimes. A typical one was from Duotool in Aberdeen.

Mobile phone rings and very heavy Scots accent is heard

Me   "Hello"

DT   "Hello Dave, this is Duotool, I wondered if you're interested in any fixings"

Me   "No, not today"

DT   "But we've got some really good offers"

Me   "I'm sure you have, but I don't buy things over the phone"

Usually this works but this chap isn't being put off.

DT   "Dave, you say you don't buy over the phone, but have you never ordered a Chinese meal"

Me   "No not from Aberdeen I haven't as it'd be cold and mouldy when I got it"

DT   "You're a funny f***er aren't ye" 

Funnily enough I never purchased from them.

Archived