RMweb

Ebay Scam listing

kintbury jon

• RMweb Premium

The scammers now seem to be listing UK addresses as their location instead of China. Two different new sellers are listing the same identical Triang BoB loco (items 152570416937 &  322541201776) both with an starting price of about £1.50. They give their locations as Kent and Dorset. One of these fake sellers also has a medal listed which has received a couple of bids.

Dave R.

I found another seller listing the same Triang BoB (item no. 263013903719). This seller together with the two sellers you mention have some identical items for sale.

Ebay don't make it easy to report these fake sellers, but even if they were taken down they would probably just create new accounts.

Al

Sadly I think it's going to be up to us and others to report these people as Ebay seem to be incapable of spotting the scammers...it's the same with any of these large internet conglomerates and their algorithms. Reported it anyway under fraudulent listings.

These look to be automatically copied and duplicated listings, probably using a bot. I would guess that their motivation is given the low pricing, some people simply won't bother to get around to reporting the missing shipments to PayPal and so even if a lot have to be refunded, they will be able to keep these and with enough listings it will make enough money to be worthwhile.

These is also the sinister but hopefully not likely motivation of getting hold of the addresses of UK model railway enthusiasts which could be of interest to people who target houses for robbery.

Tis is happening on US E Bay O gauge also. They really need to make it easier to report such incidents; I know, spoof @E Bay.com, but it needs a clickable entry for immediate notification. E Bay like many others, F/Book, etc, guard their privacy jealously when a simple E Mails would answer a lot of questions instead of jumping through the hoops to get anywhere!

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

Which one? I see loads of different sellers some with premium rating.

Keith

the fake listing has been deleted and so the link now just goes to a search results page

Andi

• RMweb Gold

I have been caught..........twice recently :ireful: , one from China and one from Queensland, just waiting to put my claim in tomorrow, apparently you have to wait for two days after the delivery expiry date( the product ain't coming!!). Both sellers were de-listed  by Ebay pretty much as soon as I had made my payment. I have been in touch with ebay and they advised that both sellers had contravened their terms. I paid using Paypal and they say once the claims are processed I will receive full refunds..... takes around four working days. I have been using ebay for both selling and buying for years and this is the first two problems I have encountered, they were consecutive purchases!!

Mike

• RMweb Gold

Just an update: I tried to lodge claim for repayment via the E-Bay website this morning........round and round in circles I went until I finally gave up! Their "Contact Us" did not list a phone number and they offered no phone support for the expensive item($700) I had tried to purchase and the site kept informing me that the seller had not advised that payment had been made and would I like to pay now!! :nono: . Next move was to contact Paypal........their dispute resolution was incredibly long winded and I reckon would have taken another month to sort but they did give me an E=Bay phone number to ring. Back to E-Bay..........after progressing through all of the questions that you are supposed to answer via you phone key pad I was finally allowed to speak to a human being( it had taken approximately 45 minute to get to this point!!).

I gave the transaction details, he checked them and in the space of 10 minutes advised that both sellers were schonks (my word) and that the refunds would be in my account within 24-48 hours. Good result but what you have to go through to get there.

Sorry about the ramblings and thanks for the "friendly supportive(s)"

Mike

Edited by ikks

• RMweb Premium

..........but they did give me an E=Bay phone number to ring. Back to E-Bay..........after progressing through all of the questions that you are supposed to answer via you phone key pad I was finally allowed to speak to a human being( it had taken approximately 45 minute to get to this point!!).

Mike

So that'll be the premium rate phone line then....the phone call cost you 700 bucks to sort the problem.........

• RMweb Gold

So that'll be the premium rate phone line then....the phone call cost you 700 bucks to sort the problem.........

no buddy.....................nix

Not so much incapable, more a case of couldn't be bothered.

Well they seem to move pretty quickly when alerted.

What else can they really do. Yes the text is copied from another sale, but this happens quite frequently - people use chunks of text from official websites or other listings to describe objects. Can't ban a seller for using copied text.

Yes the items are cheap, but for these obscure items it is hard for eBay to detect this and they can't really ban a seller for being too cheap.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

It would seem so as they now have a feedback rating of -2. Reasons for negative scores; item not received!

As the old adage goes; if it seems too good to be true, it probably is.  

• RMweb Premium

It would seem so as they now have a feedback rating of -2. Reasons for negative scores; item not received!

As the old adage goes; if it seems too good to be true, it probably is.  

2 sales, 2 not received, 2 no communication with buyer, 2 persons refunded by e-bay.

Can't see e-bay putting up with him for long.

Keith

They can collect your money close the account and disappear off the face of the Earth, leaving Paypal/eBay out of pocket. Guess who pays in the end....

Contacting eBay by phone is next to impossible. I did manage it once, but a complete PITA.

Edited by Il Grifone