RMweb

Tynebank: South Tyneside circa 1960

ianblenk

Capstan Full Strength or Senior Service? With Nimmo's beer of course...

Capstan Full Strength or Senior Service? With Nimmo's beer of course...

Capstan Full Strength naturally!!!!

Way back in the mists of time, when I was a young Agric student and a smoker, I was introduced to Capstan Full Strength by a Geordie Wagon Driver when loading 'taters one evening in a field alongside the A5.

It was the start of a slippery slope to the time I was smoking St Bruno rollups as well as St Bruno in the pipe!!!!!

I don't smoke now, but the pipe still goes in as a dummy when the odd modelling problem comes along!!!

By the way, Capstans got smaller like Mars Bars and Wagonwheels!!!!!

Nimmos beer is a drink I have not sampled.

However, I would substitute a Cullercotes brew or the excellent 'Squid Ink' stout from 'The Ship Inn'  at Low Newton!!

I'll get my coat!!

Chris.

• RMweb Premium

Nimmos best... I was bottle fed it! Owned by Camerons but not sure that InBev (who own the whitbread brews) allow them to brew it anymore.. once tried...never forgotten!

Baz

• Like 1

Capstan Full Strength naturally!!!!

Way back in the mists of time, when I was a young Agric student and a smoker, I was introduced to Capstan Full Strength by a Geordie Wagon Driver when loading 'taters one evening in a field alongside the A5.

It was the start of a slippery slope to the time I was smoking St Bruno rollups as well as St Bruno in the pipe!!!!!

I don't smoke now, but the pipe still goes in as a dummy when the odd modelling problem comes along!!!

By the way, Capstans got smaller like Mars Bars and Wagonwheels!!!!!

Nimmos beer is a drink I have not sampled.

However, I would substitute a Cullercotes brew or the excellent 'Squid Ink' stout from 'The Ship Inn'  at Low Newton!!

I'll get my coat!!

Chris.

Haven't smoked in years, but at sea it was always Senior Service, quite liked Newcastle Scotch or Amber.

Haven't smoked in years, but at sea it was always Senior Service, quite liked Newcastle Scotch or Amber.

It is funny, I could never get on with the taste of Senior Service! Players Navy Cut passing on to Gold Leaf were my smokes.

My Grandad used to break the tips off my Gold Leaf saying he didn't smoke cigs with 'Spats' on!!!!!! He always smoked with a cupped hand. The trenches never quite left him bless him!!!

Chris.

• Like 1

The protector boards look really good, can you explain the process please. The water pipe on the embankment is a great detail and reminds me of several locations.

Regards,

Tom

Hi Tom,

Thanks for that. The 3rd rail has been a saga,

• I used code 60 flat bottom rail from Peco
  • I used their insulators, but most of these were brittle and disintegrated
  • I bought some small brass pins and soldered the rail to these. I thought with protector boards the absence of insulators wouldn't be noticed.
  • I bought some C&L protector boards and brackets and tried to use these.
  • Problem; the jig for sleeper drilling puts everything in the correct place,  so much so that the shoes on the stock come into contact with the third rail causing friction
  • If you use the brackets for the boards as per instructions in my case they lifted the 3rd rail too high and this fouled stock
  • I moved the rail further out and put the brackets between sleeper instead of on them, it's hardly noticeable.
  • The boards are plasticard strips, these being more flexible than brass, although they have to be stuck in place with Gorilla Glue.
  • I know that our P4 brothers (and sisters) wouldn't have these problems and for them it would all just fall into place
  • Parkinson Plus tremor is a nuisance.

The pipe line is Knightwing and I nicked the idea from Fawcett St.  I still have to paint it and fix it in place.

Looking forward to some snaps of you model, I am envious of your space!

Thanks

Ian B

• Like 2

attachicon.gifIMG_1970.JPG

Anyone ever drunk Westoe Ales?  When did they close? I don't know whether to keep this, it should really be on a bridge facing road traffic.

Cheers

Ian B

There is a great Kathryn Tickell tune called Westoe.

Was it one of the last deep pits to go?

C.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Tom,

Thanks for that. The 3rd rail has been a saga,

• I used code 60 flat bottom rail from Peco
  • I used their insulators, but most of these were brittle and disintegrated
  • I bought some small brass pins and soldered the rail to these. I thought with protector boards the absence of insulators wouldn't be noticed.
  • I bought some C&L protector boards and brackets and tried to use these.
  • Problem; the jig for sleeper drilling puts everything in the correct place,  so much so that the shoes on the stock come into contact with the third rail causing friction
  • If you use the brackets for the boards as per instructions in my case they lifted the 3rd rail too high and this fouled stock
  • I moved the rail further out and put the brackets between sleeper instead of on them, it's hardly noticeable.
  • The boards are plasticard strips, these being more flexible than brass, although they have to be stuck in place with Gorilla Glue.
  • I know that our P4 brothers (and sisters) wouldn't have these problems and for them it would all just fall into place
  • Parkinson Plus tremor is a nuisance.

The pipe line is Knightwing and I nicked the idea from Fawcett St.  I still have to paint it and fix it in place.

Looking forward to some snaps of you model, I am envious of your space!

Thanks

Ian

The trouble with any space is it is never big enough and we always want more than what we have. I am currently negotiating an extension to the garage to incorporate a workspace (and additional layout space) and I have a new plan. I will start a thread once I know the final space available, I had toyed with copying your efforts and planned something on the South Shields branch but I keep coming back to the Sunderland - Newcastle line where I spent most of my spotting days.

I will have a pipeline somewhere as yours reminds me of one at Boldon Colliery station which crossed the access bridge.

Regards,

Tom

• Like 2

The trouble with any space is it is never big enough and we always want more than what we have. I am currently negotiating an extension to the garage to incorporate a workspace (and additional layout space) and I have a new plan. I will start a thread once I know the final space available, I had toyed with copying your efforts and planned something on the South Shields branch but I keep coming back to the Sunderland - Newcastle line where I spent most of my spotting days.

I will have a pipeline somewhere as yours reminds me of one at Boldon Colliery station which crossed the access bridge.

Regards,

Tom

Yes space is a problem, on reflection if I had more space I would want to fill it and doubt I would ever get anything finished. I have two other projects on the go, Depford Creek a South London Terminus and a diorama based on the Tyne Dock arches, I have bits and pieces for both, but haven't started track laying. The three layouts will fill my small room. The London Terminus will sit underneath Tynebank, well that's the plan!!

Cheers

• Like 1

You made any progess on your ES1 Ian?

Here's the current state of play with mine:

IMG_1057.jpeg

IMG_1058.jpeg

With the new Bachmann J72 on the way, I can feel a Newcastle Quayside diorama coming on...

Excellent, I haven't done anything other than mess about with Tynebank!