Class 205 in Conjunction with Kernow Model Shop

Just ordered a sound fitted Green one. Should arrive tomorrow. Not sure whether to have it repainted into BR Blue.

Were any repainted into NSE without having a headlight fitted?

Not only does this show one in NSE without a headlight, but it also illustrates a two coach 205 in NSE in 1989, of which there aren't that many pictures in the sectorisation period:

2732570933_57677a6762_z.jpgClass 205 205030 at Reading by Treflyn, on Flickr

• Like 3

Also, Kernow suggested that none of the two cars ever appeared in Blue/Grey. Is that true? Did they go straight from BR Blue to NSE?

I've never seen a picture of a two car 205 in blue/grey and I've searched through 1000s!  As far as a I know, they went from B/G to NSE.

I've got Michael Welch's book on DEMUs, plenty of 3 Cars in Blue Grey livery. I think I might just invent one!

Yep, definitely OK with 3 coaches, just not two if you like to be prototypical.  Kernow decided they didn't want to take the chance of not selling the two car sets in B/G in case they didn't do the third coach.

That has been Kernow's issue all along, hasn't it? 3-cars in blue/grey would go into the works and emerge as 2-cars in NSE. Kernow are saying that a blue/grey 2-car is not feasible as there is no photographic evidence. Me? I'd be happy with a blue/grey 2-car and just be prepared to ignore reality...

That has been Kernow's issue all along, hasn't it? 3-cars in blue/grey would go into the works and emerge as 2-cars in NSE. Kernow are saying that a blue/grey 2-car is not feasible as there is no photographic evidence. Me? I'd be happy with a blue/grey 2-car and just be prepared to ignore reality...

I think they would have sold and might have gone with one myself to add NSE flashes and wording to.  But Kernow decided they didn't want to risk their money on a "might sell" and were only going to produce models that had definite photographic evidence.  If they produce the third coach, perhaps they'll do a run of B/G then.

Not only does this show one in NSE without a headlight, but it also illustrates a two coach 205 in NSE in 1989, of which there aren't that many pictures in the sectorisation period:

2732570933_57677a6762_z.jpgClass 205 205030 at Reading by Treflyn, on Flickr

Not wishing to be a party pooper but I think this may be a 3 car unit with the third car just at an angle so it cannot be seen.  Reason?  The second coach looks like a TSO with visible window frames all the way along the coach.

• RMweb Premium

I agree, it looks like a 3 car plus it is a Berkshire unit which has many detail differences to a Hampshire unit.

Cheers.

It is a three-car.  The second visible coach clearly has compartment doors and windows along its full length and no engine compartment.

"Berkshire" units differed only in having the full-width compartment nearest the driver in the DTC stripped out and labelled "Luggage" AFAIK.  By NSE days that was reinstated as the need was for more seats not more luggage space.  The depth of the headcode panel differed on later deliveries as shown but I don't recall that being specifically a "Berskhire" thing, more a change in the BR Standard design as it also occurred across other types such as 2Hap

Yes, having studied the photo further, I will have to reluctantly agree that it's a three car!  I wouldn't have thought the third coach would have been hidden on that small curve, but it looks to be. 

I have posted a legit two car NSE unit several pages back and in passenger service as well.  I think it was just after privatisation began.

Also, Kernow suggested that none of the two cars ever appeared in Blue/Grey. Is that true? Did they go straight from BR Blue to NSE?

No, the two car sets in blue went into blue and grey all right, but were augmented to become the class 204 3T units at the same time, using the demoted ex-EMU driving trailers from four of the disbanded 'tadpole' class 206 units. Hence there is little to no evidence of any 2-car blue/grey units.

I suspect quite a few people on here are scouring their slide and photo collections to find such a picture to send on to Kernow. It would be nice if someone can succeed in this. :)

• RMweb Premium

No, the two car sets in blue went into blue and grey all right, but were augmented to become the class 204 3T units at the same time, using the demoted ex-EMU driving trailers from four of the disbanded 'tadpole' class 206 units. Hence there is little to no evidence of any 2-car blue/grey units.

I suspect quite a few people on here are scouring their slide and photo collections to find such a picture to send on to Kernow. It would be nice if someone can succeed in this. :)

Agree Jeff.

Kernow MRC has diligently researched the subject, has access directly or indirectly (such has via this and other forums) to a vast wealth of photographic and written records and has asserted all along that no 2-car b/g unit ever ran in service.

It is a moot point as to whether two b/g cars were ever physically coupled in works or were shunted so close together as to appear coupled into a 2-car unit awaiting the insertion of the 2EPB driving trailer but to date no evidence has been found of a b/g 2-car unit actually running.  

I don't have a photographic record to check but have gone back through the SEG's Live Rail magazine which records observations and has often recorded repaints and reformations very diligently.  No evidence of a b/g 2-car unit has emerged.

Edited by Gwiwer

• RMweb Premium

there's a pic of a cl.204 TS showing the former driving end, in unit, in 'motive power recognition 3 - DMUs' (marsden/ian allan, 1981) - the unit is in plain blue.

when they were converted in 1979, i think all the stock used was in plain blue anyway so all that needed doing was painting the former driving end blue.

While there might have been other units getting blue/grey at this stage, i think it was still really only for 'main-line' units - suburban stock like this would still be blue.

universal blue/grey would come eventually, although exactly when for these units I don't know.

Edited by keefer

• RMweb Premium

For anyone wishing to extend their 2H to a 3H I can confirm having tried it, that electrically speaking a centre car from a 4CEP unit is perfect for such an application

post-11362-0-03257900-1420895041_thumb.jpg

With the TS coach, the Thumper's trailer car directional lights still worked correctly through the CEP coach

post-11362-0-73261900-1420895060_thumb.jpg

Or the TC

Also it has been demonstrated elsewhere on this site that putting a Replica Mk1 suburban body on the CEP chassis is relativity straightforward.

It's almost unfortunate that Bachmann's own Mk1 suburban is the 57ft version with 9 compartments as opposed to the 64ft 10 compartment coach required for the Thumper.

Dale

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

For anyone wishing to extend their 2H to a 3H I can confirm having tried it, that electrically speaking a centre car from a 4CEP unit is perfect for such an application

I'd be tempted to try it if I could actually get my Thumper apart!  No amount of pinching the ends of the coupling bar has allowed me to separate the two vehicles - I had to stop for fear of breaking the mountings :-(

Mal

• RMweb Premium

I'd be tempted to try it if I could actually get my Thumper apart!  No amount of pinching the ends of the coupling bar has allowed me to separate the two vehicles - I had to stop for fear of breaking the mountings :-(

Mal

There is a certain art to parting these modern Bachmann units, I find the best method is to hold the model upside down and pull with my fingers and thumbs as close to the NEM pockets as possible after the unit has been coupled and uncoupled a few times it should start to slacken and become easier, also I leave the drawbar in whichever pocket it stays in as their is usually room in the box for it to go like that. I notice that the latest releases seem to be supplied with 2 drawbars as breaking one at some point is almost inevitable.

Dale

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifCEP experiment 1.jpg

With the TS coach, the Thumper's trailer car directional lights still worked correctly through the CEP coach

attachicon.gifCEP experiment 2.jpg

Or the TC

Also it has been demonstrated elsewhere on this site that putting a Replica Mk1 suburban body on the CEP chassis is relativity straightforward.

It's almost unfortunate that Bachmann's own Mk1 suburban is the 57ft version with 9 compartments as opposed to the 64ft 10 compartment coach required for the Thumper.

Dale

When I tried this, I found the CEP coach's lights only worked in one direction.