Class 205 in Conjunction with Kernow Model Shop

That picture is a great find. I'm interested to know how many NSE examples ran as 2 car units. There are plenty of photos of Connex units. Shows how popular these units came towards the end of their use on the southern lines.

I am resisting the NSE one at the moment. I have the Connex one. They are nice visually though in reality are on a par with the much cheaper EPB. However, for me, what makes these units stand out is the sound option. They really make the unit come to life. Anyone thinking about getting a Thumper should seriously think about the sound version.

Edited by kintbury jon
  • Like 1

CORRECT:  No kits are currently available, very busy at the moment with other things, sadly kit sales fell off a cliff over 5 years ago, 'Even Parkside  Dundas is up for sale'

Charlie

E.Mail me your requirement around April/May time when things are less busy.  Charlie

I will run 2 as one train, with the motor coaches/speakers on the outer ends.

Very nice to hear the separate sounds passing by.

I'm sure Bif can do me a favour, and set both decoders up slightly different, so they will sound a little out of sync.

The other diesel train with 3 coaches will be top 'n tailed by a 33.

No idea if I will run it with the rear loco idling or on sort of tickover, but both under power would be overdoing it a little, I think.

Regards, Michel

• Like 1

Very few, if any, pictures of two car units in the NSE period.  That's why Kernow sold it in debranded livery as there are lots of pictures of it as a two car in that livery. 

Here's a two car 205024 in 1999: http://www.rigalleries.com/RailwayImageGalleries/Class-201-to-222/i-DjNzg8C/A

Thanks a lot.

OK, that makes 205024 a renumbering candidate.

I would prefer to find out more units, preferably earlier as 1999 as well.

Regards, Michel

• RMweb Premium

Re. the handrails it is entirely possible that the Chinese are responsible for these being yellow rather than white or black.  It's unlike Kernow MRC to overlook something of this nature.  Even with the painted samples signed off it's perfectly possible for the factory to then do something different.

By way of comparison I was delighted to receive the Kernow MRC Beattie well tanks and commented by way of feedback that the marker discs for 30586, but not the others,  "Even had the duty number 637 on it in the correct font".  To which Chris at KMRC replied that they were not aware of any numbers being printed on those discs and that "The Chinese continue to surprise us."  For what it's worth the Beatties would normally have worked duty 634 not 637 and to this day I have no idea why the discs for one loco have the correct font - wrong number on while those for the other locos are un-numbered as per KMRC's specification!

• RMweb Gold

That picture is a great find. I'm interested to know how many NSE examples ran as 2 car units. There are plenty of photos of Connex units...

Just bumping my interest in photos of 205 015 as a 2 car.

E.Mail me your requirement around April/May time when things are less busy.  Charlie

Very wise... You might want to get ready for an influx of orders for Hampshire centre cars ;)

well, having basically been told by Greg (i think thats who it was, i have deleted the email) at Kernow, that the 3 car 205 is highly unlikely to ever happen (never say never though) but highly unlikely, is there anyone out there going to produce a finely detailed 3 car 207? i'm sure i heard at some stage one was laser scanned

Edited by 47606odin

• RMweb Premium

well, having basically been told by Greg (i think thats who it was, i have deleted the email) at Kernow, that the 3 car 205 is highly unlikely to ever happen (never say never though) but highly unlikely, is there anyone out there going to produce a finely detailed 3 car 207? i'm sure i heard at some stage one was laser scanned

I wonder what the position is with regards to the ownership of the Class 205 tooling? With Dapol & DJM Models, from what I've read posted Kernow MRC retains ownership, but that does not generally seem to be the case for tooling produced by Bachmann for others at least, e.g. the Class 37 heavyweights and the Mk1 TPO that after a number of years entered the Bachmann main range.

If the same applies to the Class 205 and after a certain time the tooling is available for Bachmann to use for itself, I would not be at all surprised if we saw not only a 3-car Class 205 but also a 2-HAP. Time will tell.

• Like 3

Hi 47606odin

To fill the gap give the Britannia Pacific Models 207 ago.

SAM_0816_zpsyebflri7.jpg

SAM_0817_zps3nj90opn.jpg

SAM_0814_zps2bf17upb.jpg

Cheers,

Darren NSE DAZ

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Just got an email from Kernow advising that my sound-fitted blue and NSE livery models will be arriving tomorrow :senile:  :imsohappy:

Keith

Must mean mine can't be far off.... happy days.

No idea if I will run it with the rear loco idling or on sort of tickover, but both under power would be overdoing it a little, I think.

Regards, Michel

In real life I doubt the driver would have the option. The two motors have a linked  control system. Remember also that these units were quite low powered and needed all the horsepower they could muster, fully laden as they often were up any gradient. There were some variations in these units as they were not all built together and mistakes were made in gearing on at least one batch and some of those were fitted with a larger supercharger to up the horsepower to a modest 600hp from a base figure of only 500hp.

These units were originally designed to replace the remaining steam tank loco and one or two coaches and were designed to be faster than the steamers. It was not expected that they would last so long or be so intensively used.

• RMweb Gold

Just been playing with my two new sound-fitted Thumpers and must say that I am disappointed with the F3 Playable low horn - not that I've heard a chicken being strangled but its what I would expect a chicken to sound like if it was being strangled. Have tried lowering the sound level but no improvement - it still sounds ghastly.

Have no problem with any of the other sounds - in fact really like the "dung, dung, dung" of the compressor on F7.

Have been on the phone to Kernow MRC and they are aware of the weird sound - its as supplied to them. Seems as though they can do nothing about it. Bearing in mind the provenance of the recording I'm disappointed.

Regret that am not into doing you-tube videos you can't post a recording of the sound on here. Be interesting to hear was other purchasers of the sound-fitted new Thumpers think of the F3 sound.

Keith

PS: When speaking to Kernow I did mention that I would be posting on here.

• RMweb Gold

Legomanbiffo Thumper sounds have been added to his YouTube channel, but only one horn sound is played:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu2FUrVGpRw

Thanks for posting that link. The sounds are completely different to what I get out of my units - much sharper and clearer to what I get. On what I've got there are definitely two horns - F2 and F3.

Just wonder if it is anything to do with the speaker that has been fitted in the units. I'll open up the unit later and see what's inside.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

That picture is a great find. I'm interested to know how many NSE examples ran as 2 car units. There are plenty of photos of Connex units. Shows how popular these units came towards the end of their use on the southern lines.

I am resisting the NSE one at the moment. I have the Connex one. They are nice visually though in reality are on a par with the much cheaper EPB. However, for me, what makes these units stand out is the sound option. They really make the unit come to life. Anyone thinking about getting a Thumper should seriously think about the sound version.

If you are going for 'the sound option' may I suggest that you buy the non sound one and fit Howes sound. IMHO a much better fist of the 'unholy racket' than the one coming from Bachmann/SWD? whoever did it.

• RMweb Gold

If you are going for 'the sound option' may I suggest that you buy the non sound one and fit Howes sound. IMHO a much better fist of the 'unholy racket' than the one coming from Bachmann/SWD? whoever did it.

The sound option on the new batch is done by Legomanbiffo from newly done recordings. So i'm sure it'll be much better.... i'll let you know, once my one arrives from Kernow.

The sound option on the new batch is done by Legomanbiffo from newly done recordings. So i'm sure it'll be much better.... i'll let you know, once my one arrives from Kernow.

If that is the case I unreservedly retract the above comment as Biff's stuff tends to be very good too...!

• RMweb Gold

If that is the case I unreservedly retract the above comment as Biff's stuff tends to be very good too...!

Kernow have Biff's YouTube vid of the Thumper at the bottom of their Class 205 page on their site: http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/pg/112/Class_205_Thumper_Unit

Sounds good to me so far....

• RMweb Gold

Kernow have Biff's YouTube vid of the Thumper at the bottom of their Class 205 page on their site: http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/pg/112/Class_205_Thumper_Unit

Sounds good to me so far....

Geep,

Once you get your sound-fitted Thumper be interesting to hear what you think of the sounds particularly the horns - mine sound ghastly.

As also mentioned in one of my earlier postings the sounds on the video are quite different to the sounds that come out of my units but that, could of course, be down to different speakers or speaker housings.

Kernow are aware of the rather strange sounding horns but when I spoke to them all they could say is what I hear is what they got from their supplier. They don't seem very concerned about it which rather surprises me.

Keith