Class 205 in Conjunction with Kernow Model Shop

• RMweb Premium

Kernow MRC has quite rightly asserted all along that there is no evidence of a blue-grey 2-car class 205 (2H, ex-3H) unit having existed.  The photo and unit in question above refers to two coaches of a class 204 (3T) unit which whilst nominally the same as a 2H existed only existed as a temporary formation very briefly and carried its 14xx unit number.  

For clarification the designation Class 204, once TOPS was rolled out, was also applied to the four 2H units which never originally received a centre trailer and none of which in that condition ever ran in blue-grey.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_204

• RMweb Gold

As I've said all along Kernow are only offering the class 204, and not the more numerous 205. The "Kernow 205" is a misnomer.

I wanted to rekindle my memories of the 2X3Hs that thumped away under Temple Meads train shed whilst on Portsmouth Harbour-Cardiff trains, 3H units it just has to be. I had a letter late last week from Kernow advising of the price increase for my two preorders for the long awaited blue 2Hs and to contact them to reorder at the new price. The new price has not put me off, but the lack of the centre car has. Chris at Kernow states that if there is sufficient interest in the 2H then they may consider tooling the centre car. I think that does not consider those like me who have now got cold feet and always thought the centre car would follow the 2H- a decision on that would surely have been made by now, and reluctantly I've come to the conclusion that it will never be tooled up. Unfortunately I will cancel my order.

So perhaps the DC kits 3H option for me - sure it won't be of the quality of the Kernow model but I will have the pleasure of building it.

Neil

• RMweb Premium

It's hard to be sure from the photos but the luggage compartment of the DTCL appears to have seats in it.  That should not be the case.

Are you sure? I thought they did, which seems to be confirmed from this site http://www.bloodandcustard.com/hampshire001.html, which includes the following:

The Driving Trailer Composites

The driving trailer composites (DTC) were similar in layout to those used in the 2 HAP electric units (also being built at this time) but instead of having three first-class compartments, the outermost compartment behind the driving cab entrance vestibule was fitted out as a twelve seat second class compartment with no through access to the adjacent first class side corridor.

I've seen later photos with seats fitted, e.g. 205027 in NSE on this page http://www.semgonline.com/gallery/class205_02.html. Or were they fitted, then removed and then refitted?

• RMweb Premium

The "Hampshire" units (not there "Berkshire" ones) had the seats removed from the single second class compartment between driver's cab and first class accommodation some years after introduction at which point this became a luggage compartment.  This was done because the volume of freight, luggage and mails carried on their routes was, at the time, too much to comfortably fit in the guard's brake van on occasions.  The compartments were stripped bare.

The distinguishing feature of the "Berkshire" units was that this compartment was retained for passenger use.  Those units were originally (officially) assigned to the Salisbury - Reading services upon which there was less need for non-passenger accommodation.  In practice they were often regarded as common-user with the other Hampshire-based sets.

In post-BR days and as formations became changed and mixed some of those which had retained seats may have ended up in "Hampshire" units but without full stock records I can't be sure.

• RMweb Premium

And there is an 'ALL NEW' Legomanbiffo Sound decoder nearly finished, 'JUST IN TIME' !!     Its good too.     Charlie

I've got one ordered with sound fitted. Will you be able to reblow it if Biffs sound is much better?

Hi All,

Got mine yesterday (2 actually - by mistake). A FINE model and Hat's off to Kernow Models for the commission. :locomotive:

We SR modellers really haven't ever had it so good.............

Now what to do with the potentially spare trailer coach............ :dontknow:

Here's a sneak preview of Bachm**n's yet to be released 2-HAP ....................... :no:

post-5198-0-45781300-1439487535.jpg

• Like 8

Hi All,

Got mine yesterday (2 actually - by mistake). A FINE model and Hat's off to Kernow Models for the commission. :locomotive:

We SR modellers really haven't ever had it so good.............

Now what to do with the potentially spare trailer coach............ :dontknow:

Here's a sneak preview of Bachm**n's yet to be released 2-HAP ....................... :no:

That 2 HAP looks excellent - apart from any re-numbering etc, did you just swap the bodies of the EPB trailer, or have you used the 204 trailer and just added shoegear? 

It's a simple body swap onto the EPB chassis which looks enough like the HAP u/frame for my purposes - a little judicious yellow paint and some transfers and Bob's yer Mum's brother.......................

Originally ordered on 1st Feb 2009 - well worth the wait IMHO

Edited by Southernman46
  • Like 1

It's a simple body swap onto the EPB chassis which looks enough like the HAP u/frame for my purposes - a little judicious yellow paint and some transfers and Bob's yer Mum's brother.......................

Southernman, the only real underframe difference is the waste pipes under the toilet area, the rest is the same.

Cheers.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've sent an email early August, nearly 2 weeks ago, regarding ordering 2x Green 1121 (one to become 1119) and 1x Blue 1122, but have not had a reply back yet. Just wondering .......

Regards,

Michel

They're normally very quick with replies.  You can also use the contact form here http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/contact

Originally ordered on 1st Feb 2009 - well worth the wait IMHO

Thanks Southerman - you have given Kernow another sale, just for this purpose! I would get some commission if I were you! This saves me trying to mess up another DC or SP kit, and is still cheaper than a BP, less detailed model (as I have the EPB already).

• RMweb Premium

A picture of a Hampshire 3 car dmu leaving Corfe Castle for Swanage in 1971 before the line closed. This inspired me to model the Swanage Railway and I am pleased that I can now recreate a similar scene in miniature.

Nice photo, but isn't that a Berkshire unit with the shallower headcode panel?

They're normally very quick with replies.  You can also use the contact form here http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/contact

I have emailed Kernow rather then the website form, as I have included some attachrments.

They have just enquired on FB what email address I've used.

Wait and see what happens next.

Regards,

Michel

• RMweb Premium

As I've said all along Kernow are only offering the class 204, and not the more numerous 205. The "Kernow 205" is a misnomer.

I wanted to rekindle my memories of the 2X3Hs that thumped away under Temple Meads train shed whilst on Portsmouth Harbour-Cardiff trains, 3H units it just has to be. I had a letter late last week from Kernow advising of the price increase for my two preorders for the long awaited blue 2Hs and to contact them to reorder at the new price. The new price has not put me off, but the lack of the centre car has. Chris at Kernow states that if there is sufficient interest in the 2H then they may consider tooling the centre car. I think that does not consider those like me who have now got cold feet and always thought the centre car would follow the 2H- a decision on that would surely have been made by now, and reluctantly I've come to the conclusion that it will never be tooled up. Unfortunately I will cancel my order.

So perhaps the DC kits 3H option for me - sure it won't be of the quality of the Kernow model but I will have the pleasure of building it.

Neil

I made the 3D(Oxted) DC Kits which I enjoyed doing (being just within my capabilities). I would thoroughly recommend the replica railways motorised chassis.

Slightly O/T (but still SR, English Electric, and DEMU related)

Has anyone had experience of building a DC Kits 6-L DEMU kit ?

I now have (see above :D) a Bachmann powered chassis burning a hole in the work bench...............

• RMweb Gold

Slightly O/T (but still SR, English Electric, and DEMU related)

Has anyone had experience of building a DC Kits 6-L DEMU kit ?

I now have (see above :D) a Bachmann powered chassis burning a hole in the work bench...............

I can find a use for the spare body if you want to be shot of it?

I made the 3D(Oxted) DC Kits which I enjoyed doing (being just within my capabilities). I would thoroughly recommend the replica railways motorised chassis.

So would I, which I used on my first DC kits 2 HAP kit. The trouble is supply - last time I contacted them, Replica did not expect any more of their superb motorised chassis until the end of the year.

I agree with using the Replica chassis (when available). I now have three in service, under a 4 EPB (DC Kits), class 455 (Bratchell Models) and a 319 (also Bratchell).

For the Hastings unit: I built a DC Kits 'Tadpole' 3R unit, with a Black Beetle under the Driving Motor car. Unfortunately, this one is on the short underframe so not suited to the longer Replica chassis. Replica were going to produce the shorter underframe length, but I'm not sure if it was actually released.