Class 205 in Conjunction with Kernow Model Shop

• RMweb Gold

I agree with using the Replica chassis (when available). I now have three in service, under a 4 EPB (DC Kits), class 455 (Bratchell Models) and a 319 (also Bratchell).

For the Hastings unit: I built a DC Kits 'Tadpole' 3R unit, with a Black Beetle under the Driving Motor car. Unfortunately, this one is on the short underframe so not suited to the longer Replica chassis. Replica were going to produce the shorter underframe length, but I'm not sure if it was actually released.

Just bung the Replica chasis under the driving trailer (63' long) instead of the motorcoach (57' long).  Simples.  Who will know, or care, that it's the wrong coach in your tadpole unit that's providing the power?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Still a few more weeks to wait for the sound fitted version.... i'm sure it'll be worth the wait though....

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

Can i just clear this up for you all.

Dapol were comissioned to produce the OO class 205 'thumper' unit by Kernow.

Development of other products for Kernow took a slight priority until last November when in conversation with Bachmann, Kernow found out that Bachmann were about to announce this model as part of their range.

Knowing that this would 'kill' Kernow sales in its tracks, Chris offered Bachmann the laser scan file we produced for him, and they struck a private deal which involved the laser scan going to Barwell.

Dapol, having paid for some of the laser scanning still intend to produce the 205 in N gauge, and this has now 'jumped the queue' for production and should be with us in a short time scale.

Never did Dapol have problems with Kernow regarding the Thumper in OO, and our relationship remains strong and is cemented further by new 'secret' projects still to be announced.

I hope this helps.

Cheers

Dave

Dapol Ltd

This one could set records for what "short time scale" means.

Looks like they've got the colours right. 

I'll add Network SouthEast lettering to mine, NSE flashes on the front, older style OHLE flashes over the modern ones and possibly some Oxted Line symbols. 

The cantrail stripe on the front isn't right for my era, but I can live with it! 

• RMweb Premium

Very nice indeed, Rob. Layout looking really good as well. Roll on Monday - I'll get mine when the PO re-opens. Sigh....:-)

Paul

Edited by Grampus

Still a few more weeks to wait for the sound fitted version.... i'm sure it'll be worth the wait though....

It will indeed Paul; I'm pleased to announce that we have come to an arrangement with Kernow for their factory sound fitted Thumpers to feature my brand new sound project. Here is a video of the sounds being recorded by myself and Richard Armstrong (of The Armstrong Powerhouse fame) at the Spa Valley Railway. Richard is the young slip of a lad, I'm the old git in black;

The first batch of chips are being blown as we speak.

Bif

Edited by legomanbiffo
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It will indeed Paul; I'm pleased to announce that we have come to an arrangement with Kernow for their factory sound fitted Thumpers to feature my brand new sound project. Here is a video of the sounds being recorded by myself and Richard Armstrong (of The Armstrong Powerhouse fame) at the Spa Valley Railway. Richard is the young slip of a lad, I'm the old git in black;

The first batch of chips are being blown as we speak.

Bif

That's fantastic news, was only watching that video on youtube this morning. Should be an awesome sound chip going by your other examples.

My all blue version arrived yesterday and it is stunning. Runs well too. I am hesitating now to break it up and make a 2 HAP with half an EPB .........yep, that's why I bought it and that's what I'm going to do. The other two cars will be joined later and bashed to make a De-Icing unit. Saves me buying a SUB kit.

• Like 2

My all blue version arrived yesterday and it is stunning. Runs well too. I am hesitating now to break it up and make a 2 HAP with half an EPB .........yep, that's why I bought it and that's what I'm going to do. The other two cars will be joined later and bashed to make a De-Icing unit. Saves me buying a SUB kit.

I would be interested to know whether the NSE livery (particularly the blue) matches the 2EPB special edition set. Part of me hopes it doesn't so that I can get any ideas like that out of my head!

With Kernow owning the rights to the Thumper tooling, could they produce the 2HAP?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I would be interested to know whether the NSE livery (particularly the blue) matches the 2EPB special edition set. Part of me hopes it doesn't so that I can get any ideas like that out of my head!

With Kernow owning the rights to the Thumper tooling, could they produce the 2HAP?

It doesn't (interpretations of early and late NSE which is always open to debate) and yes they could but I can't comment on the `rights' issue because I don't know and I guess the only ones who do are Kernow and Bachmann.

Griff

• Like 1

I asked Dave Jones if he would make some discreet enquiries to that end some months ago, but I guess it must be commercially sensitive, as, very unusually, having agreed he would pursue the possibility with them, no reply so far. It would be a relatively straightforward production, re-using much of the Thumper and EPB components, and thus would not have the kind of start up costs that other units or locos would have. I can only assume it is a timing issue. Both parties must want to see their investment back before embarking on another venture. Given the variety of uses of the 2HAP, much greater than the EPB, across the SR, it would seem to be a no brainer risk.

Or perhaps they are merely waiting now for me to finally finish my DC kit and to make up another one as above......

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I asked Dave Jones if he would make some discreet enquiries to that end some months ago, but I guess it must be commercially sensitive, as, very unusually, having agreed he would pursue the possibility with them, no reply so far. It would be a relatively straightforward production, re-using much of the Thumper and EPB components, and thus would not have the kind of start up costs that other units or locos would have. I can only assume it is a timing issue. Both parties must want to see their investment back before embarking on another venture. Given the variety of uses of the 2HAP, much greater than the EPB, across the SR, it would seem to be a no brainer risk.

Or perhaps they are merely waiting now for me to finally finish my DC kit and to make up another one as above......

It'll no doubt be announced the day after I buy the 2-Hap kit from the guys @ DC Kits in September..... Maybe i'll be safer getting an Oxted or Tadpole kit....

• Like 2

It'll no doubt be announced the day after I buy the 2-Hap kit from the guys @ DC Kits in September..... Maybe i'll be safer getting an Oxted or Tadpole kit....

Have you got that date from Charlie? After their fire, most DCK stock was locked away in long term storage and he was saying he did not expect kits to be available again until the end of the year. If they are to be available from next month, that's great news.

• RMweb Gold

Oh, I hadn't heard that they had a fire. I only mentioned September, as they are due to be attended the REC's exhibition in Woking, which i'll be at.

Oh, I hadn't heard that they had a fire. I only mentioned September, as they are due to be attended the REC's exhibition in Woking, which i'll be at.

Regrettably, I think you'll find they will only be selling videos and titbits, such as soundchips, but I would be very glad to be proven wrong about that!