Class 205 in Conjunction with Kernow Model Shop

• RMweb Premium

When I tried this, I found the CEP coach's lights only worked in one direction.

Did you try it on DC or DCC? I'll be honest and say that I didn't notice that as from looking at my two pictures I think that I had the corridor sides of the CEP coaches inside the layout so I couldn't see into the compartments. I don't own a CEP so the two coaches I used were borrowed. Am I right in thinking that the CEP doesn't have directional lights on its roller blinds? Whereas the thumper does, could be something to do with that perhaps.

Another thought - would the orientation of the CEP coach have an effect on that? I assume it goes a certain way around when it is used in a CEP?

Dale

Edited by dale159
  • Like 1

It is a three-car.  The second visible coach clearly has compartment doors and windows along its full length and no engine compartment.

"Berkshire" units differed only in having the full-width compartment nearest the driver in the DTC stripped out and labelled "Luggage" AFAIK.  By NSE days that was reinstated as the need was for more seats not more luggage space.  The depth of the headcode panel differed on later deliveries as shown but I don't recall that being specifically a "Berskhire" thing, more a change in the BR Standard design as it also occurred across other types such as 2Hap

I didn't give any detail, most differences were what I call "Phase 2" although relating the Kent Coast many changes occured to finish on EMUs and DEMUs around this time. As you state interior change, and route indicator was shallower, plus cab windows curved on outer sides, additionally windscreen wipers on both cab windows, different  roof vents and no lighting roof conduits, coach side windows have raised window frames instead of being inset in the sides, toilet widows have no vent or dividing bars, and different type of AWS (Westcode) with large ribbed underframe box on leading coaches.

In a previous life I was a diesel fitter at St Leonards Diesel depot and then Tunbridge Wells West fuel point.

Cheers.

Can  any one  who  has  recently  purchased a  sound  on  board  Thumper  advise  me  on  the  quality  of  the  Kernow  fitted  sound,

I have  read  differing  opinions  on  it,  and  am  trying  to  decide  whether  to  but   a sound on  boeard unit  or  a  non  sound  and  purchase an alternative  sound  decoder

Thanks

Can  any one  who  has  recently  purchased a  sound  on  board  Thumper  advise  me  on  the  quality  of  the  Kernow  fitted  sound,

I have  read  differing  opinions  on  it,  and  am  trying  to  decide  whether  to  but   a sound on  boeard unit  or  a  non  sound  and  purchase an alternative  sound  decoder

Thanks

Awful ! Had mine re-blown by Howes, vast improvement

I think the sound is pretty good.  However, I haven't heard the Howes sound to comment on whether it is better.  I have used blue-tac around the speaker and this (to me) improved the quality of the sound.  

If you don't like the sound though, as Brian says, you can get it re-blown.  I am happy with mine though. 

I have  Just  ordered  another  Thumper!

EDIT  ordered  Friday  2-30PM  safely delivered  today  SATURDAY  at  7-45AM!!  just paid  the  normal £4.00 shipping  cost

Kernow  really do well with deliveries

AND  I note  that  my receipt  shows  I have  quite  alot of Loyalty points (=CASH) to spend.

Edited by Stevelewis
  • Like 3

I bought a non-sound Class 205 from Kernows when it first came out. I haven't unpacked it yet, but having watched a number of Youtube clips, I now wish I had bought the sound version. Having said that I have read on here and elsewhere that some were unhappy about the sound. I emailed Kernows yesterday, and received an almost immediate reply saying " The original Bachmann sound recording was by South West Digital. They have subsequently made this available for sale (albeit with a few tweaks). The reference number is 82488 and it can be found on our website at £94.99.".   So maybe they have taken on board the comments made about the sound, and in their words "albeit with a few tweaks" - I'm tempted to order this.

Edited by Bulleidboy100
  • Like 1

There  are  alternative  sound  units  available  eg  Howes  which  are  very  good,  I bought a 205  this  week (silent) as the  price will increase  a lot  with  the  new  run,

I am contemplating fitting   sound unit,

Incidentally  i fitted 2  Howes   sound  decoders  this  week  1  to   a Bachmann  2-EPB  the  other  to  a  Hornby  01  both  work well  and  sound  acceptable

PS  the  EPB  was an  easy fit took 10 mins,  the  205  will be  the  same,  so just  a  case  of  selling  some  more  unused  items to  fund  the  205 sound  unit!!

Any one  want  a Hornby unused  Pull Push set??!!

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've never seen a picture of a two car 205 in blue/grey and I've searched through 1000s! As far as a I know, they went from B/G to NSE.

Not sure if it's been mentioned before, but in Kevin Robertson's Southern Region DEMU book, there is a photo of a 2-car unit in Blue/Grey at Waterloo. I think (it was late at night when I looked) it's one of the Class 204 3T sets temporarily reduced to a 2-car. Seeing as the 2-car blue Class 205 Kernow is producing (1122) became one of the 3T sets, surely this is the proof/excuse they need to produce a 2-car blue/grey set?

Not sure if it's been mentioned before, but in Kevin Robertson's Southern Region DEMU book, there is a photo of a 2-car unit in Blue/Grey at Waterloo. I think (it was late at night when I looked) it's one of the Class 204 3T sets temporarily reduced to a 2-car. Seeing as the 2-car blue Class 205 Kernow is producing (1122) became one of the 3T sets, surely this is the proof/excuse they need to produce a 2-car blue/grey set?

This isn't a criticism of you, Geep, but surely the thousands of pictures of all the 3-car units are the excuse that Kernow need to get on and produce the centre car?! Every £ spent on stop-gap 2-car models must reduce the amount available to spend on the version that everyone's waiting for, with 3 coaches.

• RMweb Gold

... and if Kernow produce that centre car, then they and Bachmann can get together and put two of those with two motor cars from the 2EPB and, hey presto!, a 4EPB.

• RMweb Gold

... and if Kernow produce that centre car, then they and Bachmann can get together and put two of those with two motor cars from the 2EPB and, hey presto!, a 4EPB.

They (Bachmann and Kernow) could already put together the Driving Trailer Composite from the 2H with the EPB motor coach to produce a 2HAP, but they don't. :scratchhead:

• RMweb Premium

They (Bachmann and Kernow) could already put together the Driving Trailer Composite from the 2H with the EPB motor coach to produce a 2HAP, but they don't. :scratchhead:

The details differ; underframe equipment isn't the same on diesel and electric units and there would need to be a third first class compartment where the 205 has a stripped-out luggage compartment.

Aside from that one is privately commissioned and the other a catalogue release.  Why would a business paying a premium price to commission a model then allow that to be used for the commercial gain solely of the manufacturer?  While I don't doubt there is considerable co-operation and goodwill between Kernow MRC and Bachmann we are not comparing two like items here.

If, on the other hand, rights to the commission expire after a given time then we might see the 2H DTC adapted and matched with a 2EPB DMBS to form a 2Hap at some future time.  The next tranche of Thumpers are still in transit from China so any such use of the DTC is likely to be quite some time away yet as not all of the commissioned items have yet been delivered.

• RMweb Gold

The details differ; underframe equipment isn't the same on diesel and electric units and there would need to be a third first class compartment where the 205 has a stripped-out luggage compartment.

Aside from that one is privately commissioned and the other a catalogue release.  Why would a business paying a premium price to commission a model then allow that to be used for the commercial gain solely of the manufacturer?  While I don't doubt there is considerable co-operation and goodwill between Kernow MRC and Bachmann we are not comparing two like items here.

If, on the other hand, rights to the commission expire after a given time then we might see the 2H DTC adapted and matched with a 2EPB DMBS to form a 2Hap at some future time.  The next tranche of Thumpers are still in transit from China so any such use of the DTC is likely to be quite some time away yet as not all of the commissioned items have yet been delivered.

Exactly!  The point I was trying to make was that Budgie's suggestion (laudable though it is) of a co-operative venture to produce a 4EPB is unlikely, for the same reasons that a 2HAP hasn't happened.  In fact, given Bachmanns past statements regarding the popularity of 4 coach units, it's even less likely.  This is a great shame from my perspective as I would buy some.  But I understand the esoteric nature of things southern electric to most UK railway modellers.  I'm also waiting for 3H and a 4BEP, but I ain't holding my breath. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

This isn't a criticism of you, Geep, but surely the thousands of pictures of all the 3-car units are the excuse that Kernow need to get on and produce the centre car?! Every £ spent on stop-gap 2-car models must reduce the amount available to spend on the version that everyone's waiting for, with 3 coaches.

None taken. I just found it curious that Kernow say they have no evidence, yet there is the one solitary photo of a Blue & Grey 2 car unit in a mainstream publication. I'm guessing that it's because it is captioned as a Class 204 (and they are numbered as such), and there is such a very narrow time frame that these units would have been in this condition, that Kernow thought there wouldn't be much demand for them.

However, if they want some more business, I would certainly be interested in a separate centre car to run with my all blue unit (when it arrives).