RMweb

The price of 'Driver Experiences' on heritage railways/Has anyone done them?

OnTheBranchline

• RMweb Premium

I was looking at some of the heritage railways websites just for fun how much it would cost to drive a steam engine (Not for my current UK trip but the future). I was surprised with how much they cost. The cheapest one I've seen is over 200 quid.

But then, there are people far richer than me who would not bat an eye in paying that.

For the people who have done them, was it worth it?

Edited by OnTheBranchline

For something that you may only do once I would say yes. I had a 'Silver' experience on the GCR.
I believe it is cheaper than going to watch men kick a ball about a few times, burning tobacco or even buying oneself a few hangovers, not that I have any experience in the value of these.

Edited by Free At Last
  • Like 1

I agree not cheap but when I did it, as a present I'd add, it was great fun. The moment you first realise that your action has moved the loco and then when you're asked to pull the whistle...

Also, you appreciate quite how hot, just how hard work and skilful it is being a fireman.

I believe there are some cheaper experiences where you can just have a footplate ride

David

• RMweb Gold

I did the footplate ride [5239 Goliath] on the Paignton & Dartmouth line for around £70 a few years back.This included my wife's trip on the train both ways in the Devon Belle car.I wasn't allowed to do much except the whistle but the views from the cab over Torbay were superb.It looks like you get what you pay for.

post-126-0-77628600-1496585345_thumb.jpg

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 6

Have done it once on our local railway here. Was actually alot of fun. However the trip I did was about 300 yards and cost $20 so well worth it in value for money.

I did the footplate ride [5239 Goliath] on the Paignton & Dartmouth line for around £70 a few years back.This included my wife's trip on the train both ways in the Devon Belle car.I wasn't allowed to do much except the whistle but the views from the cab over Torbay were superb.It looks like you get what you pay for.

attachicon.gifpost-126-0-98064800-1401470985.jpg

Interesting to see the detail of the shutter on the side of the cab.

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifpost-126-0-98064800-1401470985.jpg

It's now 85. 

Check what sort of course you are looking at, what is included and for how long. Also if an all day course is lunch and tea or coffee included and any free travel for your friend or companion.

The courses vary from railway to railway.

For example on the Avon Valley Railway the basic A course includes driving and firing a tank engine for approx. two hours (I think). You will probably be paired with another person and rotate between firing and driving, along with a basic safety briefing and explanation of the line ie speed restrictions etc at the start. You are expected to wear stout shoes and sensible clothing. Jacket and gloves will be lent to you if you do not have cotton overalls. The next stage is to be taken to the duty engine and be introduced to the crew who will introduce themselves take over explaining the operation of the loco etc. Then off you go driving or firing depending what you do first, rotating roles during the course.

The B course is an all day course towing one of our ex GWR brake vans. On this course we try to run with four customers. You get involved in driving, firing coupling and uncoupling the brake van, operating the ground frames and giving the correct hand signals to the engine crew. Companions ride free of charge in the brake van.

Do not forget that these courses are run to raise money for the railway. The charge also includes the hire / rental cost of the loco being used as well as the cost of coal, water, oil, insurance and something for wear etc.

As a rule of thumb the bigger the engine the more you will pay.

I have done quite a few years as fireman and later driver and only had one customer who did not enjoy it and that includes lady customers.

You do need to be of average fitness. If you have any medical problems check with the railway first before making a booking.

I hope you go ahead and have a go and enjoy it.

Gordon A

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I was looking at some of the heritage railways websites just for fun how much it would cost to drive a steam engine (Not for my current UK trip but the future). I was surprised with how much they cost. The cheapest one I've seen is over 200 quid.

But then, there are people far richer than me who would not bat an eye in paying that.

For the people who have done them, was it worth it?

I too would be interested to read about other's 'experiences' of footplate experiences on preserved lines - it's a big birthday year for me this year and I'm considering asking for my present from my family to be a day on the footplate, but having trawled many lines right across the country I was slightly put off -- not by the price -- by the number of 'fellow' footplaters there would be sharing the experience with me!

I whittled down a long list to two narrow gauge lines -- the Talyllyn and Welshpool & Llanfair -- based on price, length of journey/interest, being able to have my family travelling in a carriage behind, and going solo (with the crew) on the footplate.

Beamish and Foxfield also seemed to me to offer good value solo experiences, both of which also appeal to me for their industrial railway locations.

I've had a couple of footplate rides in the past, and on both occasions I was not met with the friendliest of crews, who more or less ignored me! So this also makes me slightly wary, I'd like a crew who at least talked to me as part of the 'big day' even if for them it is all fairly routine.

Anyhow, any suggestions/recommendations would be welcome - I haven't booked anything yet... I'm easy about whether it's diesel or steam, big stuff or little - as long as it's a memorable occasion and my family are part of the day too.

cheers,

Keith

• RMweb Gold

My two brothers and I bought a footplate experience at Didcot for our Dad's 80th. The look on his face when he first pulled Mogul 5322 out of the station was worth every penny.

There were 6 people taking turns driving and firing that day, all guests were allowed to ride the train as much as we wanted and we all got a guided tour of the site into the price. The staff were all very friendly and took their time to answer any questions people had (me and my younger brother rode in the cab of the autocoach and the lady acting as guard that day gave us a run down of how all the controls worked).

It was an excellent day out and well worth it.

Edited by 57xx
  • Like 4

I have twice been able to be on footplates including some firing and adjusting the reverser to maintain speed as the upgrades were encountered (neither of them in the UK) the last in my early thirties when I was still decently fit. Great experience but I was very glad on the latter occasion that the experienced firemen were there to take over when the power demand really went up. Wouldn't really feel inclined to pay for being put to work, beyond the fare for being on the train in the first place; but there you are, I am a tightwad down to the bone...

Once again, it highights just how lucky we 'oldies' were being born when we were (despite living conditions). We were paid to fire and drive, but of course we also had to do it for several hours, day and night, come rain or shine.....I'll bet the heritage lines don't let you dispose a loco haha!  Do you set the injectors?) A few years ago, firing a loco for one final time was on my bucket list.  Good luck to those who do it. 

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 3

The South Devon Railway offer a full day experience for £450 (steam) and £310 (diesel) per person.  There are more details on their website.  On a visit a few weeks ago, I noticed that the SDR were running a diesel event using a class 37 with 4 coaches in tow.

Also on the SDR, annually, in early November, and in support of the British Legion, there has been a “Driver for a Tenner” day for some years.  You pay a tenner, and - under very close supervision I must point out - you get a 10 minute slot to take the controls of a steam loco running light out of Buckfastleigh for about a mile, and then bring it back.  I have taken advantage of this along with my wife several times, and it is always a thoroughly enjoyable experience.  It is when you try bringing the loco to a smooth stop at the right spot that you can appreciate the skill involved, and it is then very apparent that this is only a small part of the knowledge and experience needed to be a proper train driver. 

Regarding fitness, my wife needed assistance to shift the reversing lever of SDR’s 57xx pannier!

John

Edited by AncientMariner

• RMweb Gold

It may be worth looking at alternative access routes eg via loco owning groups

Having done the Erlestoke Manor social evening at the Severn Valley last night I could have done a full line FP trip on 7812 today for £250

Well worth purchasing some shares to support the group!

Phil

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

It doesn't have to be expensive. I called at the Stainmore Railway (Kirkby Stephen West) last year and they had drive a diesel for a fiver. It was only a couple of hundred yards, but great fun.

I think the North Bay Railway at Scarborough do driver experience courses at reasonable prices.

If you only wan a footplate ride, when I was over in Germany the HSB were doing footplate rides on timetabled trains. Riding a 2-10-2Tank up the Brocken is quite an experience! Recommended.

• RMweb Gold

Back in the good ol days at the SVR Ray Tranter made sure that if I had done a week's voluteering work at Bridgnorth shed I got a footplate ride....46443 on test to Hampton Loade and back comes immediately to mind....

Phil

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Alternatively if you volunteer at a preserved line in the loco dept, get on a crew you get to do it for free after a number of years.....

When I had the years, I didn't have the time.

Now that I have the time I probably don't have the years.

Such is life.

• RMweb Premium

For a big birthday a few years ago I was given given a driver experience day on the Caledonian Railway, Brechin.  It was a full day course and involved a small tank engine towing a brake van, a qualified instructor, and two participants.  We started by doing a bit of oiling up on the loco which was already in steam when we arrived and the day was then spent trundling up and down the 5-mile Brechin - Bridge of Dun branch line, learning, driving, firing and riding in the brake van.  Lunch cooked on the inevitable shovel was included, we did some shunting with freight stock at Bridge of Dun, and all in all I thought the day was very instructive, extremely enjoyable and excellent value - I can't remember the precise cost then, but it's £250 now.

Picture is of me on the footplate during a stop to take on water.

post-6160-0-49366800-1496601096.jpg

DT

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Another alternative to explore is a group hire

Just about to contact DFR to see how much for a class 14 and freight train for a group to play with for the day....

Phil

Discretionary spending is up to the individual. What may appeal to one is of no interest to another so if one is interested in trains then driving one is the ultimate experience so be prepared to spend a pound or two. As has been mentioned, its for the good of the railway after all. I did my stint on an Alco diesel switcher over here and not having an enthusiasm for hard work, found that it was just right for me and a great experience.

Brian

• Like 3