British plate girder bridge.

I am looking for a dimensioned drawing of a side of a British plate girder bridge.

Does any one know of any sources of information?

I am looking at producing a couple of correctly detailed etched sides.

Gordon A

I am looking for a dimensioned drawing of a side of a British plate girder bridge.

Does any one know of any sources of information?

I am looking at producing a couple of correctly detailed etched sides.

Gordon A

Gordon

Chapter 13 of Smith J.A., A Modeller's Guide to Civil Engineering Structures, Scalefour, available on line from www.scalfour.org has details of construction and proportions relative to the span.

Peterfgf

I would recommend either reading Wood's "Bridges for Modellers" or talking to a railway civil engineer (preferably of "yesteryear" since all new work would be welded these days), or, better, both.

Very broadly speaking, the longer the bridge, the taller the girder, but there are a lot of other factors in play too - and that is before you start to get into the way that riveting, strengthening and gusseting is arranged. It would be very easy to create an expensive etch for something that isn't practical.

I have accessed Chapter 13 of Smith J.A., A Modeller's Guide to Civil Engineering Structures and worked out most of the dimensions I need.

What I cannot find are:

a) The spacing of rivets

b) Rivet head size.

Gordon

But have you counted them? :-)

A serious question actually, 'cos if you know the bridge dimensions and count the rivets, then I would have thought that you should be able to calculate their spacing with some reasonable degree of accuracy.

Whilst I don't have a drawing of the bridge that I based the Wharfeside station bridge on I scaled some photos and did some guestimating to produce something which I was quite happy with. The bridge was built by the Midland railway then strengthened with a new central beam by the LMS to allow the Royal Scots to use the line.

Modified Wills parts for the two outer beams and a scratch-built central beam with the overlay riveted in a pattern deduced from photos, stonework still to be added.

post-10324-0-87603100-1496782854.jpg

Some touching up of the ballast tomorrow me thinks.

Dave Franks.

Edited by davefrk
  • Like 3

I have accessed Chapter 13 of Smith J.A., A Modeller's Guide to Civil Engineering Structures and worked out most of the dimensions I need.

What I cannot find are:

a) The spacing of rivets

b) Rivet head size.

Gordon

Extract from 'Bridges for modellers'.

post-24883-0-77271100-1496787404_thumb.jpg

A 7/8" dia rivet has a head 1.4" dia v 0.613" high

...... and a riveter would set out the rivets using a pair of dividers, judging the distance between them by experience rather than measurement. It wasn't unusual in practice for a line of rivets, although evenly spaced out (because of the use of the dividers), to be slightly offset, draughtsmen, on the other hand, although also using dividers, always started marking off from the centre line so drawn rivets are always perfectly centred unless there was a specific engineering reason for an offset.

One of the reasons for the old "rivet counter" joke was that the actual number of rivets could vary according to who set them out, even on items of rolling stock.