The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old Lorries

I pass the Hoyer tanker yard on Leeds rd. Huddersfield quite often whilst travelling on the top deck off a local bus service and you can often spot a couple of preserved old trucks tucked in amongst the tanker trailers.

I also regularly see a Diomond T and Leyland Martian recovery vehicles which have been sat at a recovery agents yard for years on Dewsbury road.

• Like 1

What a wonderful thread!  It is amazing how many names have disappeared, not just from the hauliers, but the trucks themselves - and with so few photos because they were everywhere.

Household names like Scammell, Foden, AEC, ERF, Guy, Carrier and Commer have all ceased to be, or been swallowed up.

• RMweb Gold

Here's a link to an interesting website:

https://www.na3t.org/road?search=hall+%26+co

Most of those photos were taken (I think) at the annual Lorry Driver of the Year Competion. A couple of those lorries were based at the Willow Lane depot, Mitcham where I worked until its closure in 1967. The old AEC Matador is I believe still running albeit in a new livery.

Edit: Mike, if you type in A E Evans in the search box I believe you will find some tankers.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Here's a link to an interesting website:

https://www.na3t.org/road?search=hall+%26+co

Most of those photos were taken (I think) at the annual Lorry Driver of the Year Competion. A couple of those lorries were based at the Willow Lane depot, Mitcham where I worked until its closure in 1967. The old AEC Matador is I believe still running albeit in a new livery.

Edit: Mike, if you type in A E Evans in the search box I believe you will find some tankers.

I thought this was more your era .

https://www.na3t.org/road/photo/HuB0813

• RMweb Gold

Nice one Bob but just a bit before my  time.  Actually a couple of the old drivers I knew did drive a horse & wagon and steam lorries. I remember one of them had a medal displayed on the wall at our Epsom office that he won at the Regents Park Horse show in the 30s. 

• Like 2

Just found this lurking in the hard drive (in the wrong document file!)...

attachicon.gifpost-6837-0-05293000-1297340874_thumb.jpg

I wonder how long ago that was take? Along with the smaller Bedford QL, these were very popular with forestry contractors at least into the 1980s. Some were rebuilt with the later-style, pre-Ergomatic cab:-

http://ccmv.aecsouthall.co.uk/p632364757/h344936f3#h344936f3 

others with Ergomatic, Atkinson and even Volvo cabs. The reason for the cab replacement was that the originals were often thin steel sheet over a wooden frame.

No idea when it was taken Brian, it's a random image i found online whilst looking for something else , as is often the case. Lovely old stager though isn't it? Wouldn't mind modelling something like that, preferably in a large scale. Reminds me, I must do a Tamiya Quad tractor again, haven't built one for years.

• Like 1

Around 1980, travelling north one Friday evening on the A9, in a snowstorm, I spun my car off the road and down quite a steep grassy embankment somewhere in the wilds.

Abandoning said car, I made my way to the nearest village, on a loop off the A9, and spent the night in a transport cafe with lodgings. The following morning, bright and sunny, I made my way to the local garage and explained my predictament. 'Would that pull it out?' asked the proprietor, pointing to a recovery equipped Land Rover. Hmmm, I said, not sure it would.

'Right then' and I followed him round the back. 'What about that?', 'Er....Yeah, that's definitely going to do it'

We climbed into his recovery equipped AEC Matador and set off along the snow packed roads. We rattled along and as I've observed before about older military vehicles, it was bit like driving along in a greenhouse.

Needless to say, the fortunately undamaged car was hoiked out effortlessly by the old girl and I continued my journey north to Tain, up on the east coast.

The AEC Matador, very capable vehicle.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

I wonder how long ago that was take? Along with the smaller Bedford QL, these were very popular with forestry contractors at least into the 1980s. Some were rebuilt with the later-style, pre-Ergomatic cab:-

http://ccmv.aecsouthall.co.uk/p632364757/h344936f3#h344936f3 

others with Ergomatic, Atkinson and even Volvo cabs. The reason for the cab replacement was that the originals were often thin steel sheet over a wooden frame.

Thats my evening wasted, I'm going to spend the rest of this evening going through that lot. I'd like to get a bit more information about the one re-bodied as a bus in Australia that has retained the Matador axles (and four wheel drive?).

Thats my evening wasted, I'm going to spend the rest of this evening going through that lot. I'd like to get a bit more information about the one re-bodied as a bus in Australia that has retained the Matador axles (and four wheel drive?).

Sorry about that; there's a lot of lorries on there.

I pass the Hoyer tanker yard on Leeds rd. Huddersfield quite often whilst travelling on the top deck off a local bus service and you can often spot a couple of preserved old trucks tucked in amongst the tanker trailers.

I also regularly see a Diomond T and Leyland Martian recovery vehicles which have been sat at a recovery agents yard for years on Dewsbury road.

I think they belong to John Murphy, if you search on Flickr he has a number of photos on his photo stream, including a rather nice Leyland Octopus tanker in Bristol NBC livery.

Just found this lurking in the hard drive (in the wrong document file!)...

attachicon.gifpost-6837-0-05293000-1297340874_thumb.jpg

Wonder where W'ton 336 880 was in drystone wall country. Wigton or Workington in what used to be Cumberland?

Looking again, the background looks a bit like Staffordshire Moorlands - so it might be Wolverhampton .

dh

• RMweb Premium

Wonder where W'ton 336 880 was in drystone wall country. Wigton or Workington in what used to be Cumberland?

Looking again, the background looks a bit like Staffordshire Moorlands - so it might be Wolverhampton .

dh

It was Wolverhampton, company were listed as tree surgeons, ceased trading in 2011 according to Companies House.

HTH

Moxy

dh

Warstones is apparently part of Wolverhampton

Edited by Fat Controller

Nice one Bob but just a bit before my  time.  Actually a couple of the old drivers I knew did drive a horse & wagon and steam lorries. I remember one of them had a medal displayed on the wall at our Epsom office that he won at the Regents Park Horse show in the 30s. 

Careful, dad drove a DG until 1979, and sister had at least one ride on it with it working in '75.  (OK, so she was still _in_ mum...but it's true...)

7155071815_63283480c9.jpg8122 by Peach James, on Flickr

James

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Well trawling through some old pics I came across this, taken at the Blandford Steam Fair in 2003

attachicon.gifOct-Dec 632.jpg

unfortunately I have no further info about it but aint she a beaut!

It's a Foden, built some time in the 1920's.  This site has some information about the restoration of a sister engine http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/ejones/tony/foden/dkres.html but that says only one of the original seven survive, so a further question arises, is 'Daisy Kate' the same engine as '??? Princess' (can't read the full nameplate)?

Moxy

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It's a Foden, built some time in the 1920's.  This site has some information about the restoration of a sister engine http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/ejones/tony/foden/dkres.html but that says only one of the original seven survive, so a further question arises, is 'Daisy Kate' the same engine as '??? Princess' (can't read the full nameplate)?

Moxy

It reads 'Kernow Princess' .

• 1 month later...