Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Modelling mojo and state of mind

• RMweb Premium
On 30/09/2023 at 13:19, cb900f said:

As my mum told me "never make your hobby your job"

I left teaching after the usual shenanigans with idiot managers and went on the railways.

Never had any issues with mixing hobby and job.

I used to take stuff into the signal boxes that I worked and built or painted it between trains.

It was surprising how many people were interested in it and how many workers were interested in the railways generally.

Ian T

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

Copied from an email I received from Hornby yesterday.

Hornby ‘Mind the Gap’ 2023

It’s World Mental Health Day on the 10th of October, making it the perfect time to think about why your hobby is such a powerful tool for mental wellbeing.

Studies have shown that those with a regular hobby are happier, helping to stave off depression, anxiety and loneliness.

Whether you enjoy modelling alone or with friends and family, it offers a peaceful escape from day-to-day stresses. Building a model railway can boost your confidence and self-esteem as you complete different sections of your layout, while reducing your blood pressure and cortisol levels. Sounds like a win-win to us!

Forums and model clubs are a great place to find like-minded people ready to support you on your hobby journey, join the community of model railway enthusiasts online. 

You can get free, confidential advice right now

Hornby is an avid supporter of World Mental Health Day. If you are struggling with your mental health, know you are not alone.

There are organisations that can help:

Samaritans: 116 123 24-hours a day.

Breathing Space: 0800 838587 or breathingspace.scot

Give us a Shout: Message SHOUT to 85258 at any time.

Childline: 0800 1111 or childline.org.uk for younger sufferers.

CALM: 0800 585858 or talk via webchat at https://www.thecalmzone.net/get-support#open-calmbot between 5pm and midnight.

Stay strong

Stay safe

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

On 05/10/2023 at 11:58, Tangoman69 said:

To assist with my mojo and hopefully kick start my modelling again, I decided to knock up a display case for some of my creations.

IMG_5218.jpeg

Wrong sort of Teddybear bottom left, shouldn't it be a Heljan class 14? ;)

I really like that; having the models on display at least keeps reminding you that you have a hobby. I can imagine it being a nice motivator. I keep thinking I ought to have the odd loco on display, and I'm also thinking I should do the same with my old cameras, rather than having them in a box...

Looks like nice weathering on the snowplough train, do you have any more shots of it please?

• Like 4

On 11/10/2023 at 16:15, rob D2 said:

I’m not sure this hobby does much for loneliness.

whilst I’m p*sing about gluing stuff together I could be up the pub taking to real people 

To paraphrase Father Dougal, aren't railway modellers great, eh ? They're so much easier to talk to than real people !

• Agree 2

whilst I’m p*sing about gluing stuff together I could be up the pub taking to real people 

Perhaps in America, France or Germany et al, but less likely in modern Britain.

Pubs in the UK tend to be full of tight little groups and although you can sometimes make conversation with some of the group, others within it may see you as an interloper and move the group on.

On 11/10/2023 at 16:26, Coldgunner said:

Depends who you're talking to really. I tend to attract the nutters who want a chat and its difficult to shake them off. Least when I head to the 16mm club we can talk trains.

Been there, conspiracy theorists, religious nuts, wannabe Che Guevaras, flat earthers, you name it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Ha! The pub i used to frequent was great for the fact that the people therein were wild, creative, a little bit crazy and mostly on the fringes of society. Many are no longer with us but their legacy's live on thanks to the internet! I found out yesterday that my mark is immortalised thereon, on various websites, for very different reasons, and also in certain, published works, which makes me happy. And this week i will be doing something i have never done before that will hopefully, also make a mark. These people i currently hang with are, to a greater or lesser extant, all connected with railways in some way, shape or form, and none are from my mad early years but most knew that pub....even with the current craziness, railways are never far away. If i said this all started with "The Tri-ang princess, on the boot of my car, with the 9volt", i would not be playing a certain game but i have never been so busy that i dare not retire! 

I suppose the point is......

FIND THE RIGHT PUB!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Perhaps in America, France or Germany et al, but less likely in modern Britain.

Pubs in the UK tend to be full of tight little groups and although you can sometimes make conversation with some of the group, others within it may see you as an interloper and move the group on.

Been there, conspiracy theorists, religious nuts, wannabe Che Guevaras, flat earthers, you name it.

You've just not found the right pub - though living here in Cornwall helps; the pub 'groups' are very welcoming, provided that you don't come over as 'pushy'.

CJI.

52 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

You've just not found the right pub - though living here in Cornwall helps; the pub 'groups' are very welcoming, provided that you don't come over as 'pushy'.

CJI.

We live in a city, so there's lots of people just passing through and we don't really do pubs, but when we do, we notice how people interact and they do fall into various types. Neither of us could be described as pushy, I just don't think that we're the type who become regular faces at pubs, it's too damned expensive for a start!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

We live in a city, so there's lots of people just passing through and we don't really do pubs, but when we do, we notice how people interact and they do fall into various types. Neither of us could be described as pushy, I just don't think that we're the type who become regular faces at pubs, it's too damned expensive for a start!

Each to their own, but I find that a couple of pints at the end of the day, amongst a group of like-minded individuals, is very relaxing.

Not every night - but often enough to become 'one of the group'.

Everything has a price, and the cost of a couple of pints is a lot less than many other commercial social activities.

CJI.

• Like 5

On 14/10/2023 at 17:38, Tangoman69 said:

Ben,

more photo’s as requested 

IMG_0303.jpeg

IMG_0301.jpeg

IMG_0292.jpeg

IMG_0291.jpeg

IMG_0290.jpeg

IMG_0289.jpeg

IMG_0288.jpeg

IMG_0287.jpeg

IMG_0286.jpeg

Cheers for putting the pics up- that's some lovely work, it's very well observed and carried out.  I particularly love the build up of snow in the footsteps, details like that :)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

What a fun day, tried to politely advise a "colleague" where a ticket should go (i.e. not to me!) and was promptly told "if i need help i'll ask."

The words "stick it up your arse then" comes to mind. I didn't respond, but next time someone asks, help won't be forthcoming.

A possible job has come up slightly more money and sociable hours, so might not be enduring the incompetence for much longer. Hopefully it will be timed well enough for me to still be eligible for the December bonus before leaving.

Edited by Coldgunner
  • Like 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium

my mojo is still going strong but i keep getting bouts of fatigue that make it impossible to do any modelling  that is frustrating me 

any way on a good note work has finally agreed to a reduction of my hours  it ha taken since February to get this do even though 

it was recommended by  occupational health back in April they claimed we where to short of staff and just kept giving me new shift patterns 

without a hours reduction hoping I would not notice I then told them I was thinking of leaving as the job was getting to much for me 

then all of a sudden it was what hour do you to you name we will agree all done and dusted in 10 days 

despite the hapless management I do still enjoy my job but having  colitis and gastritis 12 hour shifts where just getting too much 

now reduced to 10 so hopefully this will help 

John 

• Like 5
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

On 23/10/2023 at 21:02, Coldgunner said:

What a fun day, tried to politely advise a "colleague" where a ticket should go (i.e. not to me!) and was promptly told "if i need help i'll ask."

The words "stick it up your arse then" comes to mind. I didn't respond, but next time someone asks, help won't be forthcoming.

A possible job has come up slightly more money and sociable hours, so might not be enduring the incompetence for much longer. Hopefully it will be timed well enough for me to still be eligible for the December bonus before leaving.

2 or 3 years ago I would have been shocked at this, and commiserating you for being so unlucky to have such a rude colleague. Fast forward 3 years and I am firmly of the opinion the rudeness you describe is the "new norm". 

Lots of people seem to have never dealt with other people and simply dont give a damn. It also manifests in the colleague glazing over as they prepare themselves for your bit of the conversation to conclude and it's their bit again. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

Cheers, wouldn't have been an issue if they weren't doing it all wrong, and didn't continue to do things incorrectly even today. Driving me up the wall having to correct mistakes, simple mistakes that are the bread and butter of the job.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

So having managed to do some modelling, I came to a grinding halt again. The thought of the upcoming redundancies which start next Monday have had me having bad dreams at the thought of some really good and decent people being told they are not needed. Sadly the orders have dried up in some areas due to a reduction in our customers work (investment in Europe has dropped from 22 billion Euros last year to less than 10 billion this year. 

Back to that wish of just winning enough to quietly retire and walk away (even though I really like the company and people who are decent people) Grrr- at least this weekend I get to enjoy the delights of a Pannier on at least 6 and a green fire risk so it can be driven properly and not made to slug away in first valve when it really needs to be got going and then pulled right up to get the best. Its got to be better than last Saturdays effort as well. The sort of trip when at every station you see a red home and are told they have not got to (inset name of next signal) followed at the last by being held at the outer and like an idiot tried to ring in from the phone pressing the button, holding for 5 minutes before giving up and using a mobile to be told the previous engine was still loosing time running round. Then to add insult to injury having run round there were the S&T in the Obbo at the front of the train - did you know the phone is not working at the outer - Oh yes came the reply ! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr came to mind as to why there was no notice nor anything on it to say it was out of order!

• Friendly/supportive 13

• 1 month later...

How is everyone doing? I'm a bit meh after Warley as it just didn't seem as fun as it used to be. Been told we're getting a 5% increase this year, which isn't too bad, but offset by the cost of everything else. Suspect the bonus will be lower this year to compensate.

I wonder what the senior leadership get...

edit: yup my bonus was lower this year, penalised again for behaviour. Doesn't take into account my work bringing up the overall quality.

Edited by Coldgunner
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

If memory of working on the clock serves me right, changes had to be made for the business to survive. 

That year we got no raise. The most we ever had was 1.5%. No bonus, despite working consistently to 130%, morning break cut from 15 mins to 10, afternoon break abolished. Lunch break cut from 30 mins to 25. Working week restructured so that Friday no longer meant overtime. 

For this, the two new whizz kid managers were well rewarded. A couple of weeks later a matching pair of BMW 740i saloons were delivered.

The reason given was that those cars gave the customers confidence that the company was reliable and in a good financial position.

The young and the skilled began quitting almost immediately. I was very lucky, I bumped into an old army friend who had just come back from abroad who was putting together a small team of engineers and I didn't need any convincing.

• Like 10
  • Round of applause 1