Ebay Puzzle

highpeakman

• RMweb Gold

Not sure if this is the right section to post this but....

Ebay, as always, throws up some "interesting" subjects. This one intrigued me:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Hand-Crafted-Model-Train-Locomotive-Unique-One-Off-Model-Copper-Train-/302279804972?hash=item466147c82c:g:PpwAAOSwuLZY63oN

Who is going to be first to identify the prototype of this one?

My guess is a Prairie (sort of/maybe).

I think I'll give this "very unique" model a miss.

Is this something Churchward designed after an evening at his local?

More likely Bullied!

Or, considering the thread title, Riddles!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This is almost by defintion a curio. It is obviouslky worth what it is worth and eBay is a good place for it. It is a bit like my avatar which is a genuine piece of kit that I own and still have in my collection of railway ephemera.

The key words here might be "almost by definition" a curio"? Almost? So it isn't a curio? Curious, possibly.

As to value, 55p may be nearer the mark although still higher than I would go.

Edit: I should have added that your Avatar looks as if it does meet the definition of curio as it looks like it has been crafted.

Edited by highpeakman

• RMweb Premium

I don't think the soldering iron was quite hot enough! Also the builder made best use of the screws he had on hand. Not his fault he was stranded on a desert island with limited resources.

Looks like an attempt to replicate one of those tinplate and scrap things that come out of Asia, but lacks the naive charm. Fifty-five quid is taking the proverbial. List it at a 99p start price and see what the market thinks.

• RMweb Gold

Not sure if this is the right section to post this but....

Ebay, as always, throws up some "interesting" subjects. This one intrigued me:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Hand-Crafted-Model-Train-Locomotive-Unique-One-Off-Model-Copper-Train-/302279804972?hash=item466147c82c:g:PpwAAOSwuLZY63oN

Who is going to be first to identify the prototype of this one?

My guess is a Prairie (sort of/maybe).

And I thought my soldering skills were bad!!

Mike

• RMweb Gold

If one where to purchase this item I wonder what sort of DCC sound unit you could get inside  :jester:

It could be a problem fitting the valves and loudspeaker in but at least you could unscrew the sides to get access! :)

Looks like an attempt to replicate one of those tinplate and scrap things that come out of Asia, but lacks the naive charm. Fifty-five quid is taking the proverbial. List it at a 99p start price and see what the market thinks.

I agree. I think my avatar piece cost me next to nothing in a charity shop. It was very dusty when I got it and I suspect it has had more loving care from me than ever before.

• Like 1